• March 28, 2024, 10:01:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Typical n00b!  (Read 868 times)

droidish

• View Profile
Typical n00b!
« on: July 18, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »

New guy here with a couple of dopey questions.   :-[

My owner's manual says to shut down the bike by first switching off the red kill switch, then to turn off the key switch (ign. switch). Is there technically a good reason for that with respect to contactors or other EV specific components? Can I just shut 'er down by turning off the key like I've always done with my other bikes?

Also, what is the purpose of the little "running light" above the halogen headlamp? That is not explained in the manual at all.

Thank you.
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Typical n00b!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 11:24:39 AM »

...My owner's manual says to shut down the bike by first switching off the red kill switch, then to turn off the key switch (ign. switch). Is there technically a good reason for that with respect to contactors or other EV specific components? Can I just shut 'er down by turning off the key like I've always done with my other bikes?...
The red kill switch, the bike's charging status, and the kickstand switch are the three interlocks besides the ignition switch that will prevent the bike from moving when you apply the throttle. Short answer no I don't see why other than an abundance of safety precautions you would see that in the manual.

For practical reasons I suggest being in the habit of using the red kill switch as the manual suggests, especially so you will be in the habit of being aware of it. Should you be in a tip-over or other off with your bike, knowing (with any other chaos that might be happening) to tell responders "KILL SWITCH" can save somebody from launching your bike into a secondary incident. I've done this myself after a tip-over trying to right the bike and grab the throttle, only to have forgotten the kill switch, and I made a bigger mess of damage to the bike than I should have.

It's not completely stupid, there's a good reason the manual states these things.
...Also, what is the purpose of the little "running light" above the halogen headlamp? That is not explained in the manual at all. ...
Global compliance. Some regions require a running light anytime a motorcycle is on. It's also for practical reasons a good last-resort if your headlight stops working for whatever reason.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 08:24:08 PM »

I have never used the "kill" switch on any of the motorcycles that I have owned, the Zero included.  I lost interest in kill switches when I bought a 1971 Triumph Bonneville and spent 20 minutes trying to kick start it before I noticed that I had accidentally turned off the kill switch.  :( I really didn't need that much exercise back then.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:00:04 PM »

If you're sitting on your bike among friends, you should definitely use the kill switch, or have a dinner fork ready to poke any hands that reach for your throttle.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:31:24 AM »

New guy here with a couple of dopey questions.   :-[

My owner's manual says to shut down the bike by first switching off the red kill switch, then to turn off the key switch (ign. switch). Is there technically a good reason for that with respect to contactors or other EV specific components? Can I just shut 'er down by turning off the key like I've always done with my other bikes?

Also, what is the purpose of the little "running light" above the halogen headlamp? That is not explained in the manual at all.

Thank you.
Great responses from Shadow and Richard230. I'd always wondered about the "running light".
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 05:38:42 AM »

Great responses so far.

One thing about the kill switch in case the bike lands on its side or you let anyone sit on the bike: the bike makes no noise if it's on, so twisting the throttle and getting massive wheel spin-up with torque could be a nasty surprise.

I tend to think of the running light as a terrible backup for a failed headlamp. They're on separate fused circuits, probably for similar regulatory requirements.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 01:05:32 PM »

When there are people on or around the bike, it is a good idea to just turn ignition off, and even better, remove the key. No need for the kill switch!
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 06:45:31 PM »

Related question.. does anyone know the current or approximate current running through the kill switch?

On ICE motorcycles, sometimes the entire ignition-on system flows through it, and they tend to fail if you click them off regularly to kill the bike. Small contacts and all.  I suspect on the zero bikes that the switch only carries a tiny enable signal and not an actual load. I checked Burton's schematic and it seems like it goes directly into the MBB1 connector.

UW4E

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »

If you're sitting on your bike among friends, you should definitely use the kill switch, or have a dinner fork ready to poke any hands that reach for your throttle.
A friend of mine was sitting on a Zero at a trade show, without having the kill switch in the off-position...
Some youngster came a turned the throttle, because he was interested in the bike.
Thankfully my friend could react quick enough to avoid damages.

I always set the kill switch to off, when I arrive somewhere or park the bike.

With an electric motorcycle to Iceland - June 2018:
http://www.uw4e.de

Zero S 2015 - 41,000 km / 25,800 miles since July 2016 (Status Nov '18)

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:40:30 PM »

When drag bikes started using air shifters, you had a pressurized canister and a solenoid with a rod attached to the shifter.
While under full throttle, you pushed the "shift" button, power would be cut for a fraction of a second, the solenoid would
push the shifter and power would come back on again. You can simulate this on an ICE bike by preloading the shifter with
your foot and flip the kill switch off then on. You would adjust the "dead" time of the engine to get the best shift.
If you were to push the button while the bike was stationary, it would bend the shift forks. I was joking with a guy
one time as I reached towards the shift button on his bike. I asked him.
" What happens if I push this button? "
His reply, " Your nose starts to bleed. "

acacia1731

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 10:32:24 PM »

Along these lines - I had a near miss when my two year old grabbed the throttle as we were sitting still (with him on the front).  I always use ECO mode when taking him on slow rides around the neighborhood, and I think that's the only reason I was able to react in time to save it. 

Lesson learned - kill switch is worthwhile when around others!

Not only is the bike silent at "idle", but it also doesn't need any clutch/shifting to start moving.
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive
Pages: [1]