• April 25, 2024, 08:57:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Vehicle pollution history  (Read 259 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Vehicle pollution history
« on: July 16, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »

Here is an interesting historical article:  http://www.banhdc.org/archives/ch-hist-19711000.html

Followed by this more modern (and EV-related) article: 
http://www.fema-online.eu/website/index.php/2017/05/18/low-emission/
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: Vehicle pollution history
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:50:56 PM »

Interesting, thanks for posting Richard.

I'm surprised that so many bikers would rather switch to another mode of transport rather than go electric. I'm going to put that down to them not having ridden an electric bike. Riding an electric bike is a far superior experience in the city over an ICE with gears.  I should know, I commute into London.

Awareness is still a big issue. So many bikers don't know about Zero and are surprised that such a bike exists. Even more so when they learn a Zero can go over 30 mph and can cover common commuting distances.

Motorcycles have offered a solution to congestion for as long as it has been a problem. Fear and inconvenience will remain the fundamental issues that keep it that way.  I do hope that autonomous cars will help reduce some of the fear. Although at the same time, the differential in risk between riding in an autonomous car versus riding a bike will become bigger.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:16:49 AM »

Riding an electric bike is a far superior experience in the city over an ICE with gears.  I should know, I commute into London.

It may surprise you, but I would say the far majority of USA riders ride almost exclusively outside the city. The first thing we do on a group ride, or I do for a fun ride, is to get out of the populated areas, and head to where there are fewer people and more twisties.

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:20:20 PM »

The comparison between horse pollution and car pollution, somehow, oversees that there has been a far better "solution", just in between. Electric urban transportation, one century ago. And mostly abandoned!

Interesting article about the quantitative effect of horses in some american cities. As motorbikers prefer riding outside cities, horseback riding also is much more funny in the countryside!
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Pages: [1]