• April 27, 2024, 07:56:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: EV@TucsonEV.com  (Read 3432 times)

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: EV@TucsonEV.com
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 03:49:19 AM »

I think Hollywood Electrics sells a Jplug to 3 way outlet. This would let you plug your bike into the Jplug using it's standard onboard plug.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 03:57:28 AM »

I think Hollywood Electrics sells a Jplug to 3 way outlet. This would let you plug your bike into the Jplug using it's standard onboard plug.

I checked their website and I don't see it... only one for $400 that is the same that I can buy from TucsonEV for $165.

Do you have a link or picture of it? also a price?
Zero: 2016 DSR
HD: Rocker C 08 / Sportster 1200L 09

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 04:02:42 AM »

I think they have these in stock. $300 and let's you charge either 3 bikes or bikes and phones or laptops, anything with a power adapter that does 240v almost all us power adapters and laptops atleast. I sold them several a while back, it's possible they sold out, but give them a call and see. Their support is worth it, plus the j inlet is fully potted so completely weather proof.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 04:45:06 AM »

I bought one from them last year, everything went smooth. Perhaps they are on vacation.  Question, if you are only using the onboard, what do you want a second plug for?

Thats what I'm trying to determine... if I need the 2nd plug or not... trying to plan ahead and maybe buy one for future charging options... in your opinion, C13 or C19 plug?

If you eventually buy another charger, only Zero's 1kW Quick Charger will use that C13:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_5&products_id=194

C19 is rated for higher current, so will be needed for any other faster charger.

I recommend against EVTricity's equipment unless you know what you are doing around power electronics. Those are computer power supplies rather than EV chargers, and could potentially fail or damage your bike.

Realistically, I would buy a cable with multiple regular outlets, and use it for normal charging, and wait a while to pick a higher-powered charger, and get a cable specifically for that higher-powered charger that also feeds your onboard charger.

one more question... if I plug in a  J1772 that provides 220V AC power, to the onboard charging will it charge faster? I read on the Zero website that "Please note, the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter will not speed up your motorcycle charge time, which is limited by the motorcycle’s integrated charger"

just to confirm... I will ONLY be able to use charging stations ...not charge faster... Correct?

Yes. The onboard charger uses 1.3kW at 110V or 220V. One advantage of using 220V is that only half the current is needed, so the cord won't get warm, and it's probably a tiny bit faster.

If you have a 220V AC outlet you can charge from, an adapter for that could be useful (although there are a few different shapes so pick the adapter carefully).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »

Realistically, I would buy a cable with multiple regular outlets, and use it for normal charging, and wait a while to pick a higher-powered charger, and get a cable specifically for that higher-powered charger that also feeds your onboard charger.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:25:37 AM by macstructures »

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 09:25:45 AM »

to confirm, when you say "multiple regular outlets" you are suggesting C13 plugs, correct?

If i buy this adapter it will have 2xC13 plugs plus the J1772. I will use one C13 to plug the motorcycle for charging and the other C13 to provide: (1) another charger that you can use to plug into the Accessory Charging Port above the motor, or (2) a second electric vehicle to charge, or (3) some random electrical load to add like a USB charger for your phone, or some lighting or whatever.

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »

If i want to plug a laptop, cellphone, or any small device I should have a C13 plug, correct? a C19 will not work for small electronics?

Im leaning on buying an adapter 2xC13, to have the option of connecting other devices... not sure if I will, it will drain the battery of the motorcycle, but maybe useful in an emergency situation.

I guess if the motorcycle is plugged in to a charging station, and I'm using this type of adapter, the 220V AC  from the charging station will charge the motorcycle and I can plug another device to the pigtail on the adapter with the C13 plug and charge it or use it, correct?

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 11:11:13 AM »

If you eventually buy another charger, only Zero's 1kW Quick Charger will use that C13:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_5&products_id=194

So how do I use a Zero 1kw quick charger? this is what I think...

I get the adapter, 2xC13. Plug the J1772 to the charging station, one C13 to the onboard charging on the motorcycle and then plug the Quick charger to the other C13??? and it looks like the quick charger (pictures) has a plug... thats goes where?

also, is the zero quick charge a good buy for $600 or better off buying something else?

The plug that zero sells for $300 is $100 at Tucson EV.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 11:29:12 AM by macstructures »

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 01:07:41 PM »

I just realized that this adapter will not work the way that I wanted to...so now I have a couple of questions.

How can I plug in a J1772 and an extension cord (the one that comes with the motorcycle) at the same time to the motorcycle standard plug in?

You cannot - J1772 provides 220V AC power, and a normal outlet provides 110V AC power (in many countries), and this would cause an electrical fault if you joined them together and probably injury or equipment damage.
Not that many... ;)

to confirm, when you say "multiple regular outlets" you are suggesting C13 plugs, correct?

If i buy this adapter it will have 2xC13 plugs plus the J1772. I will use one C13 to plug the motorcycle for charging and the other C13 to provide: (1) another charger that you can use to plug into the Accessory Charging Port above the motor, or (2) a second electric vehicle to charge, or (3) some random electrical load to add like a USB charger for your phone, or some lighting or whatever.
For the picture above? No just regular outlets, take a look at the picture. Think of it as a 3-way power strip for charging stations.

I get the adapter, 2xC13. Plug the J1772 to the charging station, one C13 to the onboard charging on the motorcycle and then plug the Quick charger to the other C13??? and it looks like the quick charger (pictures) has a plug... thats goes where?

also, is the zero quick charge a good buy for $600 or better off buying something else?

You can plug it in a power source and hook it up to the aux port. But to be honest both the quick charger and adapter from Zero are overpriced and have better alternatives.

TL;DR:
Two kettle leads to plug directly in your bike:

Turns the charging station in a power strip:

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 06:05:32 PM »

That's exactly what I do.  I have one quick charger and get 2.5KW at a level 2 using the on-board and the quick charger with the 2xC13 adapter from Tucson on my DSR.  I purchased one of the Delta-Q QuiQ chargers when I picked up the bike.  Not many watts per $$$ compared to others available now, but it works fine.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 07:46:41 PM by stevenh »
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 06:37:03 PM »

one more question... if I plug in a  J1772 that provides 220V AC power, to the onboard charging will it charge faster? I read on the Zero website that "Please note, the SAE J1772 Charging Adapter will not speed up your motorcycle charge time, which is limited by the motorcycle’s integrated charger"

just to confirm... I will ONLY be able to use charging stations ...not charge faster... Correct?

Correct. I used their connector for when I was traveling so I could use a J1772 if no 120v outlets were avail. Just gives you another option of locations to plug in. As far as adding a faster charger, the diginow 3.3kw module would be your best bet. Yes, costs a little more than the zero charger, but smaller/lighter and puts out way more power to the accessory port. Something to think about.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 12:38:23 AM »

It makes me sad that only that TINY area is light-blue.
Lots of area with the correct voltage, but a stupid frequency.
Other areas with low voltage, but the right frequency.
and the brown areas that are as wrong as possible. lol.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 02:54:32 AM »

Ok, I'll bite, apart from some prehistoric clocks why is 60Hz better in your opinion?

macstructures

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 03:03:55 AM »

You can plug it in a power source and hook it up to the aux port. But to be honest both the quick charger and adapter from Zero are overpriced and have better alternatives.

Erasmo, what other alternatives do you suggest and do these alternatives use a C13 or C19 plug? trying to determine the best option on the extra plug on the adapter from TucsonEV.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:07:09 AM by macstructures »

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 03:18:07 AM »

Erasmo, what other alternatives do you suggest and do these alternatives use a C13 or C19 plug? trying to determine the best option on the extra plug on the adapter from TucsonEV.
Depends on your wishes and budget, do you just want to charge with the onboard charger at charging stations or do you want to charge faster? Oh an do you have a power tank?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5