• April 26, 2024, 08:55:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Zero Owner Question on Supercharger  (Read 1941 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: New Zero Owner Question on Supercharger
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 02:23:23 AM »

> If the diginow respected the pilot signal, it would know to throttle down to the 6.7 level ...

No, it's actually not that granular, unfortunately.

Terry, thanks for posting, it's good to have your real-world early-adopter experience here.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 08:41:43 AM »

> If the diginow respected the pilot signal, it would know to throttle down to the 6.7 level ...

No, it's actually not that granular, unfortunately.

Terry, thanks for posting, it's good to have your real-world early-adopter experience here.

it doesnt have to be that accurate, you're going in 3.3kw chunks.

PVNRG

• 2021 EGO+ RS 2016 DSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 04:33:14 AM »

So from what I'm hearing, only the 2.5kW charge tank and 3.3kW should be used together from a single J1772 30A EVSE to avoid tripping the 30A breaker feeding it. How do I wire them so they operate in parallel form one J1772 30A EVSE? I'm still unclear on this.
Hunter

2021 Energica EGO+ RS

2016 Zero DSR
37k miles August 2020
Consumed 3 sets of tires and 3 belts so far.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 10:11:38 AM »

So from what I'm hearing, only the 2.5kW charge tank and 3.3kW should be used together from a single J1772 30A EVSE to avoid tripping the 30A breaker feeding it. How do I wire them so they operate in parallel form one J1772 30A EVSE? I'm still unclear on this.

No one has done it and we don't have a reasonable solution to recommend; the Charge Tank is a self-contained solution, not a modular one.

To be clear, the Charge Tank is relatively expensive and no one ever worked on another charger with any expectation that the Charge Tank could be made to work with it. Its only real advantage is that it's an OEM solution that integrates well into the bike and has a warranty.

I think the only idea I can reasonably suppose would work is to make a J1772 plug that splits into a J1772 passthrough inlet to the Charge Tank, split off to a plug for whatever charger you want to work in parallel, but that's a lot of work for not much gain.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

PVNRG

• 2021 EGO+ RS 2016 DSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 07:14:28 PM »

The reason why I'm asking is that I already installed the charge tank more than a year ago in my shop. I did not know of any other on board charge options at the time. I'm a hands on electrical engineer so making custom cables is no problem at all.

So Brian, could I add extra AC power cables to the existing J1772 receptacle to branch off to the supercharger and adjust the pilot signal resistors? Perhaps I need to do some research on the J1772 specifications.
Hunter

2021 Energica EGO+ RS

2016 Zero DSR
37k miles August 2020

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 04:39:49 AM »

There's a signalling component that does a handshake, saying essentially, I'm here and I'm ready to take current.

That's triggered, presumably, by the electronics in the bike verifying the contactor is open.

The station then turns on the 208-268VAC (IIRC) which feeds into an AC-DC converter.

A careful and competent person could probably find the thick cables that do such a thing and branch them so they feed a diginow SCv2 charger brick.  Or other quick charger If I was doing such a thing, I would use proper high voltage precautions, use heavy duty double-layer adhesive lined shrink tubing etc.

But I don't think you'll get anyone here to say *you* should do such a thing, since we don't know your skill level, education level, personality traits, etc.  Liability is an ugly thing, and high voltage is dangerous.  : - )

But I can say, that I have empathy for your situation, and in your shoes I might well do what you are proposing. Assuming good crimping skills and care are taken.

PVNRG

• 2021 EGO+ RS 2016 DSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 07:21:09 AM »

togo, thanks for the input!

I'm confident in my power electronics skills and did a little research on the J1772 handshake. It looks like as long as the stock systems come up and start charging first, another charger can then feed current into the system in parallel if kept within the current limits of the system.

The remaining unknown is what the charge tank is telling the bike or what communication is happening there. Are CAN bus messages being sent between the two? I'm not sure what would happen if the bike thinks it is getting a certain current but is getting more than that if that is what is being communicated. Does anyone one here know?
Hunter

2021 Energica EGO+ RS

2016 Zero DSR
37k miles August 2020

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 08:15:04 AM »

...I'm not sure what would happen if the bike thinks it is getting a certain current but is getting more than that if that is what is being communicated. Does anyone one here know?
The bike's MBB will trip the contactor above a certain current sense sustained for more than a few seconds, typically 1C rate for the battery system installed. Otherwise all you need to tell the bike is to keep charging mode enabled, I think. So far as anything I've read the bike MBB cannot (and/or does not) request different rates of power. I think your question applies more directly to the programming on the ChargeTank charging module and stock onboard charging module.

Does anyone know better, is there some kind of power level directive from the MBB?

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 11:37:10 AM »

The charge tank will close the contactor (charge enable). Using the the onboard charger does as well. Keeping the key on does as well. I had to charge key-on for a few months while my onboard charger was offline (it failed on the way to my SCv2 install appointment!)

The main contactor will open and all charging will stop if you exceed 1C usable (on my 2014 SR 11.4, that's 10kw) or if the battery gets too hot (50C)

You can monitor battery temperature if you charge with key on and use the zero app. You can put the battery temperature on the riding screen and then use riding screen preview to see it.

The main effect you should see is that the SoC may lag a bit, but it'll reset when it sees 116.4v

There are more details on this stuff at zeromanual.com

Please report back any discrepancies you see, but this is how I think it works.
Pages: 1 [2]