• April 27, 2024, 08:19:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Zero Owner Question on Supercharger  (Read 1942 times)

Motogib

• View Profile
New Zero Owner Question on Supercharger
« on: July 13, 2017, 04:20:46 AM »

I just bought a 2017 SR with a Charge Tank but need more speed. Well charging speed that is. I was wondering if anyone was using a Diginow Supercharger (3.3 or 6.6) with a bike that has a Charge Tank installed. Do you just plug it in to the aux charging port? Any issues with the BMS while simultaneously using the ChargeTank? Does anyone have the exact dimensions on the 6.6 Supercharger?
I've read a lot of the charging related posts here but didn't find a specific answer to my situation. If I missed it I apologize in advance.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: New Zero Owner Question on Supercharger
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 04:45:46 AM »

I was sure I saw a post about this on the forum or FB recently, but now I can't find it.

The unofficial manual links to DigiNow and Elcon information about the Supercharger:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#DigiNow_Super_Charger
The Elcon product page lists dimensions on a fuzzy schematic image. Those dimensions are accurate:
http://www.elconchargers.com/catalog/item/9034090/10295140.htm

As far as Charge Tank compatibility, it should work fine. Going through the aux charging port will work, but take care to add up the charging rates to make sure you don't exceed the fuse limit of 100A. A 6.6kW SC plus the 2.5+1.3 of the Charge Tank with onboard charger puts you exactly at the 10.4kW of the ZF13.0 2016-2017 bikes' limits. (And I've heard the Charge Tank can hit 2.8 so that would put you over the limit.)

In short, 6.6 will have a likelihood of blowing the charge fuse. You can work around this by getting your Supercharger programmed to a lower setting, by disconnecting the onboard charger while supercharging, or by connecting the Supercharger to the battery through the controller, although the contactor limit might still kick in.

I'd recommend arranging for the onboard charger to be disconnected while charging this way. You'd want a switch to operate or connection to unplug before beginning the charge.

But, on the other hand, charging from two J-plug stations at the same time feels pretty bad-ass, I can say. :)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 04:47:08 AM »

I just remembered that I've run an Elcon 2500 with the onboard charger, coupled with 6.6kW from a J-plug station simultaneously, and that this works fine with the controller connection for the Supercharger. So the charge tank might be a touch higher than that, but seems basically workable.

Motogib

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 11:47:15 AM »

I've seen slightly over 4kw from the charge tank plus on board. Now that you mention it, how does that not blow the fuse if you use 6.6kw from the supercharger?

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 06:07:20 PM »

So why not just a single 3.3 module? If he's getting near 4kw with charge tank and onboard, plugging in a 3.3 to aux port will put it at 7.3kw, not too shabby.

Cama

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »

Maybe he just use the diginow and the onboard supported by the chargetank (6,6 + 2,4 = 9 kW). Should be around 90A.

I mean the chargetank itself shouldnt be plugged in.
ZERO SR 2016

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »

Quote from: BrianTrice
And I've heard the Charge Tank can hit 2.8

Well, never have had that happen in the 8 months I've been using the thing. In my experience, combined charging is more like 3.3kW so the tank only attributes for 2kW...

I'm using the charge tank with an extra charger on the AUX plug, works fine. Just make sure the aux charger starts charging after the battery contactor is closed, that's all.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 08:02:57 PM »

If you're using additional superchargers off-board, then you could add a second charge port connector directly to the controller terminals.
If you're mounting them on the bike, then hardwire them to the controller terminals.

Doing this bypasses the stock charging fuse, so you don't risk blowing it and can go full speed.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »

Quote from: BrianTrice
And I've heard the Charge Tank can hit 2.8

Well, never have had that happen in the 8 months I've been using the thing. In my experience, combined charging is more like 3.3kW so the tank only attributes for 2kW...

I'm using the charge tank with an extra charger on the AUX plug, works fine. Just make sure the aux charger starts charging after the battery contactor is closed, that's all.

Okay, that makes sense given what I've read about the TSM2500; its output is very conservative.

Motogib

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 06:20:14 AM »

Thx for all the replies! I think I'm going for the 6.6 and will worry about the options later!

PVNRG

• 2021 EGO+ RS 2016 DSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 05:29:02 AM »

I have the charge tank and would like to add the 3.3kW supercharger. How would I wire it up so that the tank J772 inlet is used for all three chargers (1.3, 2.5, & 3.3)?
Hunter

2021 Energica EGO+ RS

2016 Zero DSR
37k miles August 2020
Consumed 3 sets of tires and 3 belts so far.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »

I have the charge tank and would like to add the 3.3kW supercharger. How would I wire it up so that the tank J772 inlet is used for all three chargers (1.3, 2.5, & 3.3)?
The ChargeTank modules I've seen all have J1772 inlet directly wired it is not connectorized. I don't think there is an easy way to mount the DigiNow SCv2 charging module in there when the ChargeTank module is already mounted.

I would suggest traveling with the additional charger for connecting to the AUX port when needed. You will be able to use the extra charging module as an external charger that way. If there is a better mounting please share the discovery.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 12:28:03 AM »

It would be a rare J1772 station that could feed all three.  Most of the J1772 stations I run into are limited to 6.7kw and you have a total of 7.1kw there.  Running them all off the same J-plug would require custom wiring, and I would worry about warranty support in that config.  Doesn't mean it can't be done, but like shadow says, "not connectorized".  That said, Hollywood Electrics has a Tesla inlet that can feed two J1772 inlets, and Tesla Destination stations can easily cover 7.1 kw. (They do up to 19kw, I think)
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 01:03:53 AM »

It would be a rare J1772 station that could feed all three.  Most of the J1772 stations I run into are limited to 6.7kw and you have a total of 7.1kw there.  Running them all off the same J-plug would require custom wiring, and I would worry about warranty support in that config.  Doesn't mean it can't be done, but like shadow says, "not connectorized".  That said, Hollywood Electrics has a Tesla inlet that can feed two J1772 inlets, and Tesla Destination stations can easily cover 7.1 kw. (They do up to 19kw, I think)

If the diginow respected the pilot signal, it would know to throttle down to the 6.7 level when in a low power charger, and then would throttle up for a higher power one.
thats the exact reason there is a pilot signal in the first place.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 01:09:09 AM »

The diginow version 1 did follow the pilot, but it caused errors on lots of stations and the pilot asks the charger to stick to no higher than 30 amps, which is like 5.8 to 6.0 kW on most stations, just ask a LEAF driver lol.  So I like the new supercharger without it as you can get the full 6.6 from the charger.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry
Pages: [1] 2