• April 27, 2024, 06:07:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Buy now or wait for the 18's??  (Read 2832 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Buy now or wait for the 18's??
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 04:11:38 AM »

I haven't used eco mode since I bought my bike.  My eco mode is my right wrist.   ;)

Personally, I will be happy if the design of the Zero stays the same as I am satisfied with the relatively light weight and compact design of the current models, since I don't carry a passenger, where extra room would be handy.  I might add that the compact design of the Zero really helps when parking it in my crowded garage.   ;)

However I can see how a larger chassis would make the bike a little more stable when riding on the highway and would provide more room for additional batteries.  But Zero has a lot invested in their current well-designed aluminum chassis and also in their motor, so I don't see either of those components changing anytime soon.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 06:31:27 AM »

All great points guys, I really appreciate it, heading to the dealer in the morning to get the bike ordered:)  Every time I ride the Duke, which now only has 350 miles after 5 months of ownership, what does that tell you, I think to myself, "what the hell was I thinking..."  The Duke is a cool bike, don't get me wrong, I'm riding the updated "smoother running" version and it still feels like I'm riding a jack-hammer on wheels.  I am not a particularly young person and you never know what could happen, waiting 6 months on an 18 just isn't in the cards.  Now, the plot thickens, do I trade the Duke for an SR, that way I'd have the dual sport and a fun street bike, oh man, this is going to be expensive...  Thanks again gents, I'll be sure to post pics and impressions when I take delivery:)

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 08:29:02 AM »

Definitely test ride the DSR before you order the FX, it sounds from your last post like that is the right bike for you and you can sell the Duke to make up the difference.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

42Cliffside

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 12:44:09 PM »

I Really Like my '17 DSR Definitely give it a test.

I use eco mode when it rains (about the first 5 months ... Seattle)

It's so fast in sport/custom that as soon as it's dry it's all about that torque  ;D Woosh... Gone!------->>

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 07:25:09 PM »

I Really Like my '17 DSR Definitely give it a test.

I use eco mode when it rains (about the first 5 months ... Seattle)

It's so fast in sport/custom that as soon as it's dry it's all about that torque  ;D Woosh... Gone!------->>

I actually rode the DSR (2016 model) and liked it, but, I rode the FXS first and it felt so light in comparison, if I had my choice, I'd go for the DSR for sure but it's 5k more and I feel that the FX would be better off road which is kind of important to me at this point.  I sat on the same demo bike that I rode months back and had thoughts of going for that one but decided against it. 

This leads me to my next point, yesterday was the day I was going to get the FX ordered and the only person at my local dealer that knows anything about the Zero bikes is the owner's son, and he was on vacation, the owner just put me off and said to come back on tuesday when his son would be there, he also said that they had only sold a few of the Zero bikes and that he was trying to get Zero to buy back his 3 remaining 2016 demo models but he'd be happy to sell me a new bike (of course he would).  Two red flags, then I glance in the service department which looked like a dungeon compared to their nice shiny sales floor and their technicians that I saw just didn't give me a feeling of competence, I know I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, just a gut feeling, I did spend about 10 years in the industry with positions in sales and service at 3 different local dealers so I do know a little.  So after all this rhetoric, all I can say is that I'm still waiting and deciding now, which dealer to go to and when...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:26:42 PM by Ireek »

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 08:56:24 PM »

Can you make an offer on his 2016 DSR or FX?  He should have sold those a long time ago.  Sounds like everyone at that dealership isn't very enthusiastic about electric motorcycles.  Probably a bunch of old farts.  That's ok is there another dealer near you?  Or take advantage of their ignorance and get a great deal on a 2016 for now, and you now can position your self to trade up to a 2 year newer bike next year if the improvements are worth it.  Sorry your dealer seems so lame.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 04:25:14 AM »

Can you make an offer on his 2016 DSR or FX?  He should have sold those a long time ago.  Sounds like everyone at that dealership isn't very enthusiastic about electric motorcycles.  Probably a bunch of old farts.  That's ok is there another dealer near you?  Or take advantage of their ignorance and get a great deal on a 2016 for now, and you now can position your self to trade up to a 2 year newer bike next year if the improvements are worth it.  Sorry your dealer seems so lame.
This thread has got me wondering about cycle shop markups: how much do they make, what's the lowest price you can ever expect? I know a bit about bicycles: markup on new bikes is something like 20% or less; money is really made on repair and parts/accessories. Is the motorcycle market similar? (off topic anecdote: a few years ago I was looking around for a fixed gear. I spotted one during a ride, and knew standard retail price, and realize "holy cow, Batman, this is 40% off!" At that discount it was obvious they were just trying to get rid of the thing. Turned out, it's a great bike.)
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 04:48:10 AM »

This thread has got me wondering about cycle shop markups: how much do they make, what's the lowest price you can ever expect? I know a bit about bicycles: markup on new bikes is something like 20% or less; money is really made on repair and parts/accessories. Is the motorcycle market similar? (off topic anecdote: a few years ago I was looking around for a fixed gear. I spotted one during a ride, and knew standard retail price, and realize "holy cow, Batman, this is 40% off!" At that discount it was obvious they were just trying to get rid of the thing. Turned out, it's a great bike.)

Years ago I was told that motorcycle shops make about 10% profit on new models.  But I have no idea what the current situation is now, especially when it comes to Zero.  My BMW salesperson has told me that they make more profit selling used trade-ins than they do selling new bikes.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 04:54:06 AM »

Years ago I was told that motorcycle shops make about 10% profit on new models.  But I have no idea what the current situation is now, especially when it comes to Zero.  My BMW salesperson has told me that they make more profit selling used trade-ins than they do selling new bikes.
hm .. 10% on a $15,000 bike isn't bad, depending on how much time the salesperson needs to make the sale. In my case it was ~30 minutes.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 12:47:54 PM »

Guys, there's no point quoting the whole of a long post directly above your reply. Just type what you want to say and it will read just add well.

Getting back to the main question, I find the best time to make a decision is just after the new models are announced. Then you'll know whether it's worth waiting out whether to go for a deal on the current model. This time of year is tough though - any announcement is likely to be a few months away.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 07:10:21 PM »

I did think about trying to negotiate on one of their 16's, I'm sure I could get a deal on one.  I'm sorry for my being so flaky on this, no one wants to read stuff like this and I'm sorry to drag you guys thru it.  I'm going to be riding electric one way or another, just have a few decisions to make.  Like Fred said, it is a tough time of year to be making a decision.  I reckon I'll just order the new 17 FX and hope my dealer doesn't go bust on the brand shortly thereafter,  but then again, there'd be an opening for a franchise here in town, hmmm.  Thanks so much for the insight on this, I really appreciate you guys!!

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 11:29:57 PM »

...  I reckon I'll just order the new 17 FX and hope my dealer doesn't go bust on the brand shortly thereafter,  but then again, there'd be an opening for a franchise here in town, hmmm.  Thanks so much for the insight on this, I really appreciate you guys!!

If you think the dealership might go bust, maybe you could make an offer on the dealership itself, and then you could get yourself a really good no-markup deal. With a helping of liability on the side : - )
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 01:46:26 AM »

I'm sorry for my being so flaky on this, no one wants to read stuff like this and I'm sorry to drag you guys thru it.

Don't worry. If we didn't want to read it we wouldn't be reading it. I was on here for ages discussing stuff before I finally ordered a Zero.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 03:07:22 AM »

Judging from how little that changed from 2016 to 2017 models I'd say you probably wont miss out on much on the next upgrade if you buy now. After several generations of Zero's they have pretty much stabilized the design and features, and although they might launch a brand new model series, it looks like nothing revolutionary will happen. They already seem overstretched with their current line of models.

In my opinion, the main feature of a new motorcycle is that it has no miles on it anyway. :)

droidish

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 12:52:27 AM »

... I'm sorry for my being so flaky on this, no one wants to read stuff like this and I'm sorry to drag you guys thru it.  I'm going to be riding electric one way or another, just have a few decisions to make...

Don't feel like the Lone Stranger. I sat on the fence for at least a year indecisive, it's too expensive, too big a departure from my comfort zone, and so on. Then I rode one and the urge became stronger, but still I talked myself out of it, then in, on and on. Finally my wife booted me into the forward direction. I ordered mine on July first, and picked it up yesterday. I couldn't be happier.
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400
Pages: 1 [2] 3