• April 25, 2024, 09:42:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Heated Grips on FX (Koso Apollo)  (Read 919 times)

Curt

• View Profile
Heated Grips on FX (Koso Apollo)
« on: July 06, 2017, 01:19:10 PM »

Heated grips are useful year-round in the Northern CA climate. I've used them to great effect on my XT1200Z and 500 EXC. Now I need to install them on the FX (I took the long way home from work today -- a fun couple hours but with cold hands)!

Surprisingly, there's yet little information, here or in the unofficial manual. Am I right in thinking this should be straightforward? It seems they will take 35W from the Sumitomo connectors on the FX 12V accessory harness, and I can't imagine there should be anything too strange about the resistive throttle tube.

The Koso Apollos look like they'd be the best choice. They have great aesthetics, look easy to install, and have good reviews (http://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/motorcycle-mx/apollo-heated-grips/). I could document the installation.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Heated Grips on FX (Koso Apollo)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 08:33:20 PM »

My recommendation for cold hands is to purchase a pair of rechargeable internal battery-heated gloves.  There are lots of these on the market, both designed for motorcycle riding use and for outdoor activity (such as skiing) usage.  I have both battery-powered gloves and a lithium battery-powered jacket liner.  Both work just fine and on high heat are good for about two hours.  Longer at lower heat levels. Prices typically range around $200, probably about the same as most decent motorcycle grip warmers with heat output controllers.

Not only do electrically-heated gloves keep your entire hands warm, rather than just your palms, but you can use them off your bike and they will continue to be of value if you own and ride other motorcycles or sell your Zero in the future.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:05:40 PM »

...Am I right in thinking this should be straightforward? It seems they will take 35W from the Sumitomo connectors on the FX 12V accessory harness, and I can't imagine there should be anything too strange about the resistive throttle tube.
The wiring is straightforward. At least another person and myself that I know of have installed the Koso Apollo's on S/DS platform bikes.

What to watch out for:   The throttle on S/DS has a raised rib that interferes with the resistive throttle tube.  You could modify the throttle, or the Koso Apollo throttle grip. If you modify the grip be aware that the heating element wire is in that same area on the grips so you would have to be careful not to break that. When I modified the grip those wires became exposed and so I used RTV silicone as part of the installation step to seal that;  this got very messy and I had to disassemble the throttle to clean it up.

I suggest being ready to have all the tools you will need to disassemble the throttle, just in case it's needed for some reason.

Chief_Lee_Visceral

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 12:54:36 AM »

I have these Koso Apollo installed. I just carefully filed the grip on the throttle side so it seated better. You will have to use grip glue to keep them in place. I used the old trick of hair spray but it was not enough after summer temps came along.
Current bikes:

2016 Zero DSR
2014 KTM 1190R
2011 Husaberg FE570S
2012 KTM 500EXC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
2007 Honda CRF450X Rally
1987 BMW K100RS

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 09:02:48 AM »

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered from RevZilla.

Hopefully these won't overtax the DC-DC converter if used in conjunction with a 70W Gerbing vest on the SAE connector.

Richard, also thanks for the suggestion on heated gloves. Besides being a minimalist, I think I would need at least 5 hours of heat, and I wear different gloves for rain/dry/commute, and don't like to hassle with charging things (go figure ;D).

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 05:40:43 AM »

After ten years of service, I just bought a replacement set ofOxford Premium Sport heated grips for my 14 DS. They are a very tight fit and being tired and late and rushing I broke my throttle getting the new one on. Be warned, the plastic gears inside the stock throttle can shear pretty easily! Totally my fault will take a bit more care when the replacement arrives. Found a Domino cheaper and faster than a stock throttle too.
Pages: [1]