• April 25, 2024, 08:39:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Equipment to charge more than one EV from one EVSE - does this exist?  (Read 684 times)

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile

Reason for asking:

My wife rides a 2017 Zero.  I ride a 2013 Brammo.  We can both charge via J1772 at native L2 speeds.  We want to go places that happen to be served by a pair of EVSE, but that pair is one AeroVironment CHAdeMO plus one AeroVironment J1772.  Neither of us can charge from the CHAdeMO and only one of us can plug into the sole J1772 at a time.

Before you ask, yes, we could choose other routes that provide multiple J1772 EVSE, but for the sake of argument, I'm looking for a solution for this particular situation.

Questions:

Does there exist equipment that will allow us to plug in both into either the CHAdeMO or the J1772 such that both of our bikes will charge simultaneously to save total charging time rather than in sequence, which we could do manually by unplugging the first EV then plugging in the second?  For example, can two EVs be plugged in as a daisy chain off of the one EVSE?  Of course the total current would be split between them, so that if there is too little current, both EV would charge more slowly than one alone, but I wonder if splitting a CHAdeMO among two e-motorcycles would be more than powerful enough to charge two e-motorcycles at their maximum charging rates?

If one does not exist, are there any EVSE manufacturers you know of who might consider investigating a custom solution?

--
Thanks,
Michael

Zero gasoline in the garage since May 2017

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile

If you are just talking about charging using the onboard charger via J1772 then DigiNow sells a J1772 to three way adapter. It will let you and your wife charge at the same time and have a spare plug to charge a phone. You will be limited to ~32 amps. The 2017 Zero will use 6-7 amps....not sure what the Brammo charger will use.

http://diginow.it/super-charger-for-zero-motorcycle.php

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Chocula

• View Profile

There is/was and open source project called the Hydra that does what you are asking.

https://code.google.com/archive/p/open-evse/wikis/Hydra.wiki
https://hackaday.io/project/3939-j1772-hydra

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile

Interesting.  A splitter like the Hydra is what I was hoping for, but I don't have the EE chops to build one.  The J1772 to three-way 110V outlet solution seems more fool-proof, but charging at both bikes at 110V 12A would take longer than time-sharing the one J1772.  Meanwhile, I'll try the social engineering approach to ask a popular coffee shop along the route to install two or more J1772s.

Thank you for the pointers!

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile

With the 3 way splitter, you can send 12A to each bike, the J1772 can certainly handle 32A which is less than the 24A drained by both of you together.  :)
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

KrazyEd

• View Profile

Zero has a J1772 Adapter with 3 C13 connectors. I was at Hollywood Electrics last week and I believe that I saw
something similar with standard 5-15P ends. This would allow both bikes to charge from a single J1772 but probably
not at level 2 rates.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

Zero has a J1772 Adapter with 3 C13 connectors. I was at Hollywood Electrics last week and I believe that I saw
something similar with standard 5-15P ends. This would allow both bikes to charge from a single J1772 but probably
not at level 2 rates.

That's DigiNow's adapter, listed above by mrwilsn. Zero sells a J1772 plug with a single outlet.

If the OP is willing to wait, I'm pretty sure that Hollywood Electrics can arrange (via DigiNow or when they have time) a custom splitter to charge the Brammo at its full rate and a Zero onboard charger or two on the side.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile

If the OP is willing to wait, I'm pretty sure that Hollywood Electrics can arrange (via DigiNow or when they have time) a custom splitter to charge the Brammo at its full rate and a Zero onboard charger or two on the side.

That's nice to hear, Brian!  :)  Should I contact them to begin the conversation, or is this something already on their radar?

Erasmo

• View Profile

Something like this but with J1772 plugs on both ends?

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile

Yes, that's what I was imagining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Equipment to charge more than one EV from one EVSE - does this exist?
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 10:31:44 PM »

That's nice to hear, Brian!  :)  Should I contact them to begin the conversation, or is this something already on their radar?

Definitely contact them. I think this would be a one-off but can be made reasonably since they have the right parts available.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment to charge more than one EV from one EVSE - does this exist?
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 12:09:21 PM »

For better or worse, the gist of Harlan's reply was that it would be (1) a "fun project for somebody" else and (2) better to just encourage people to install more EVSEs.
Pages: [1]