• March 29, 2024, 08:51:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charging in the UK  (Read 589 times)

Dahtunnel

• View Profile
Charging in the UK
« on: July 05, 2017, 02:20:10 AM »

Generally I charge overnight through the domestic supply but in occasion would like to charge from a public unit.  I cleverly bought the zero adaptor, I know it doesn't speed up the charge, and then realised it had a J1772 plug in connector.  Naturally this isn't the general socket in the UK which locally is the European type 2 I believe.  Does anyone know if the is an adaptor between these types or a type 2 to kettle plug lead available in the uk?
Regards
David

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
Re: Charging in the UK
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 04:28:42 AM »

Hello,

Your adaptor is a type 1 socket because in the US it is quite common that the cable is attached to the station, so you just plug it in.

In case of Europe, except for the fast chargers (50+kW having the heavy cable attached), you need to carry your own cable, and the station has a type 2 socket. Or type 3c in France and Italy but will be gradually replaced by type 2.

So you "just" need a type 2 to type 1 16A cable which can be found in various webshops, some good shops are located in UK.

On car side, the type 1 is used by asian and US (except Tesla) EV's having a single phase charger. European cars have a type 2 socket for single phase or 3-phase charging. Tesla has a special type 2 socket for 3-phase and DC charging using the same pins!
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Dahtunnel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 08:41:15 PM »

Thanks for quick response

David

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 11:38:23 AM »

I got my adapter from laadkabelfabriek, a Dutch webshop that can make you an adapter Mennekes-British outlet or a Mennekes-Kettle lead cable. They already sold to more people on the forum here and shipping to the UK should be pretty cheap.

Edit: Shameless plug for a video of how to charge with this adapter: https://youtu.be/x-U67x2CbpY
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:43:14 AM by Erasmo »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 10:40:09 PM »

Nice. I'll see about improving Mennekes options listed on the wiki
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]