• April 26, 2024, 10:40:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Belt replacement cost  (Read 2804 times)

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
Re: Belt replacement cost
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »

Hi Olly, I strongly agree with the above zero gurus, the belt should be replaced even if there is one tooth missing or any crack or rock in the belt. When I studied engineering, belts wear evenly due to the amount rotations per minute so if one tooth is damaged/missing, the others are soon to follow.

With my original post though, clay.leihy posted the below:

Order your own parts? (Maybe this'll help Aussies?)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=32392&share_tid=7083&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eelectricmotorcycleforum%2Ecom%2Fboards%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D7083&share_type=t

The purchase cost of the belt with shipping comes to $150 AUD which is already $100 cheaper than what I paid but if you purchase other items, it is a lot cheaper as shipping is half the cost.

I'll let you know how the order goes with af1racing but if their purchase experience is anything to go by, it should be very smooth.

🤞

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 11:50:24 AM »

Wonder how long in takes AF1 to order and get the parts before shipping.

You definitely need a new belt.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »

You might ask the dealer that you order from to see about drop shipping directly to you.
I have ordered parts through Hollywood Electrics and they arrived directly from Zero within a few days.
Makes more sense. Why ship from Manufacturer to dealer then to end user? Waste of time and resources.

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »

Hi odedmaz, I definitely need a new belt soon and if I don't ride a motorbike soon, I'm going to go crazy!

KrazyEd, I will ask AF1 to ship directly from Zero to me. Great idea mate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 04:04:08 AM »

I've just had a new belt fitted here in the UK. It cost a total of £220! 65 plus vat for the belt and the rest was for two hours of labour.

My last belt only lasted 11,000 miles. I think I lost a few teeth coming off a kerb under full throttle. The wheel span up and there was a horrible crunching noise when it hit the tarmac. After that, the belt started slipping more and more. I ended up riding Miss Daisy just to get me to work and back before the new belt arrived.

I put the short belt life down to riding off road a few times. I also need to avoid going over potholes and suchlike with the throttle open.  There were a lot of teeth missing by the time it got replaced.

I was shocked at the two hours of labour just to change a belt. Learning on the job, I think.  I didn't quibble though as the dealer lent me a courtesy bike for two months recently...

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »

As far as replacing the sprockets with the 2017 ones, I was told that you could have one of the splined sprockets
machined out by a qualified machine shop, put a key way in it and it should work. I am guessing that the wheel sprocket
should just be a straight swap. As with everything else Zero, keep an eye on Hollywood Electrics for when to purchase.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 01:43:24 AM »

As far as replacing the sprockets with the 2017 ones, I was told that you could have one of the splined sprockets
machined out by a qualified machine shop, put a key way in it and it should work. I am guessing that the wheel sprocket
should just be a straight swap. As with everything else Zero, keep an eye on Hollywood Electrics for when to purchase.

That is intriguing, and I suppose without a Sevcon 4.5 controller, the torque wouldn't break the design limits of the keyed shaft.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 10:21:05 PM »

That is intriguing, and I suppose without a Sevcon 4.5 controller, the torque wouldn't break the design limits of the keyed shaft.

I just remembered that this thread exists: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6538
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
Belt replacement cost
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 06:14:09 PM »

Finally made some time for an update.

I emailed AF1 a few questions about delivery times, if they can have Zero deliver directly and some other questions and the blokes at AF1 were fantastic to deal with. They kept me up to date when parts were received by them and when the parts were shipped to me.

All up it took 33 days from ordering to the package being delivered:
- 19 days from ordering,AF1 receiving parts from Zero and then shipping to Australia)
- 14 days shipping from US to Australia.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:33:25 PM by TheRebelFred »

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 06:32:25 PM »

I have also installed all the parts on my bike and attached photos below.

In terms of price, it is slightly cheaper to buy from AF1 racing but their service is worth more than the savings from buying locally (from this one purchasing experience anyway).

The total list of parts installed since the bike has been off the road:

- New motor under warranty as the previous one showed signs of internal bearing failure.
- New onboard 1.3kW charger as the last was not charging the battery to 100% (usually 91% SoC)
- Tail tidy
- Givi factory top box (also noticed that the rack has the usual seat bolt mounts, under seat bolts AND a metal frame with rubber boot that sits on the tail plastic! I can send photos if anyone is curious)
- a double fast charger (6.8 kW) from EVtricity which I havn't used as my go to electrician is soaking up the sun in the northern state of Queensland. Lucky bugger :)
Also will not mount the charger to the bike as this will void the warranty so it will stay at home except when I'm touring in summer and it will live in the top box.

Last thing is a good cleaning and I'll have to plan the next upgrades!

Before tail tidy and top box:

After tail tidy and top box rack:

After clipping in top box:

And finally getting back to the reason for my post:

I have installed the belt! And have a spare for the next 40,000km (85,000km on the odometer or odomile for the americans ;)

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 03:26:47 AM »

My first belt failed at 5000km, but I think a mate might have smashed it over speed bumps etc. replacement lasted 35000 kms and just lost a tooth. That's acceptable imho. New one is on, will be interesting to see how long it lasts - I have the smaller front sprocket so I know it's working real hard. Took 46m from start to finish to replace it

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »

There is one name to remember (and phone number) if you are an aussie.

Hollywood Electricts!

I phoned them up, ordered 2 belts paid $346 AUD (I think I posted $334 on another post but that was wrong) and had them on my doorstep in 8 days (was delayed because while I was on the phone a guy walked in and purchased one of the 2 belts in stock, so I had to wait an extra 2 days).

I opted for the $80 USD fast shipping (slower option was $60 USD). My belt had 16 teeth missing (5 in one spot) and I was riding it each day in custom mode set to 0 torque. It was painfully slow to accelerate but that was the whole point, less power. It made it through the 6 days (didn't ride on weekend). 

I was also thinking if I could get a new bigger belt pulley machined to fit the 2015 keyed shaft. Anyway that is 60,000 km away seeing I have 2 new belts now.

The manual says to change the belt at 30,000 km, I had done 30,500 km when I stripped the teeth under full acceleration.

oregonrider89

• Motorcycles: 2017 FX, 2015 SR, 1995 BMW GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 09:42:38 PM »

I just replaced my belt (2015 SR). I noticed teeth missing at 25,000 miles but it lasted almost another 1,000 miles before 90% of the teeth came off under full acceleration. I still made the 20 miles to home with a very gentle throttle hand.

A replacement belt was in stock at Monarch Powersports in Orem, UT. Total cost, with shipping, was $98 and it arrived in 3 days. I replaced the belt myself and it took about 15 minutes.

I love that motorcycle!

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 02:17:33 AM »

> I was also thinking if I could get a new bigger belt pulley machined to fit the 2015 keyed shaft.

I think that's the trick to liveforphysics' wheelie-capable Zero SR.  He has extra lights mounted at 45 degrees down so he can see when he wheelies down the street in the dark.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: 1 [2]