• April 27, 2024, 12:10:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: * PROBLEM LOCATED* BMS 0020, 0028, 0029 error code after the very first 160km!  (Read 5004 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

A word to wise. If you are poking around the high voltage wiring for any reason, be aware that there is stored charge of 100 volts or more around waiting to bite you, make arcs or worse. This is especially true of the motor and controller connections, but also the DC/DC, MBB and charger connectors.

I have found a way to discharge the bike that is quick, easy and works. A regular incandescent light bulb is of course rated for 120V and is low resistance and capable of quickly and safely discharging the wiring. A low wattage bulb will have a lower surge current while discharging. I find the best place to connect such a bulb is across the external charger contacts.  No guarantees that doing that removes all of the hazards, but this method has worked well for me.

The Zero owners manual says don't touch the orange wires, good advice for sure.

Right. Various parts of the Zero have capacitor banks or capacitive qualities, so there's some energy that can give you more than a sting, potentially.

And if the state of the contactor is ever in question, the charge won't decay. Although the light bulb could be okay, using a digital voltmeter first never hurts.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Keith

• View Profile

The light bulb will stay lit if the contactor is closed, you can light up your workshop with it.  ;D And use a voltmeter after discharging just to be sure it worked.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com

A word to wise. If you are poking around the high voltage wiring for any reason, be aware that there is stored charge of 100 volts or more around waiting to bite you, make arcs or worse. This is especially true of the motor and controller connections, but also the DC/DC, MBB and charger connectors.

I have found a way to discharge the bike that is quick, easy and works. A regular incandescent light bulb is of course rated for 120V and is low resistance and capable of quickly and safely discharging the wiring. A low wattage bulb will have a lower surge current while discharging. I find the best place to connect such a bulb is across the external charger contacts.  No guarantees that doing that removes all of the hazards, but this method has worked well for me.

The Zero owners manual says don't touch the orange wires, good advice for sure.

Keith, Thanks for the advice, However i am aware of that as well i have the special Zero discharge tool witch is also a lightbulb and a charger plug... I am familar with electronic and caps stored energy as well as 100+V ebike setup.

100V can kill as well as 40V.. it all depend on various conditions... personally i have dry skin so toutching 100V is not painfull but anyway i'm making sure everything is discharged as well because it can also zap $$$ components...

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

Keith, Thanks for the advice, However i am aware of that as well i have the special Zero discharge tool witch is also a lightbulb and a charger plug... I am familar with electronic and caps stored energy as well as 100+V ebike setup.

100V can kill as well as 40V.. it all depend on various conditions... personally i have dry skin so toutching 100V is not painfull but anyway i'm making sure everything is discharged as well because it can also zap $$$ components...

Doc

I think Keith has the same concern I have, which is to inform people who read this discussion, not you specifically.

Sometimes it's not clear enough what practices underly an experienced professionals recommendations, and the literal advice given might cause damage if performed without the right care or safety practices.

This is exactly why I think speculatively about danger and how to be extra safe. I'm never advising you, just imagining a 19 year old kid around complicated equipment and helping them navigate it safely. (I was this kid learning to run navy nuclear reactors and 4160V electrical distribution equipment once.)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Keith

• View Profile

Yes, Brian is correct, my intention was to advise caution to others, and was not directed at the expert who started this thread. I am pleased to learn that the special Zero discharge tool uses the same method as my original idea of a good way to do it.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

Guy_H

• View Profile

Old thread but reading it - DoctorBass - did replacing the controller end up being the correct fix ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]