• April 23, 2024, 03:35:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FXS battery pack, charging off bike...  (Read 710 times)

cep55

• View Profile
FXS battery pack, charging off bike...
« on: June 30, 2017, 01:54:31 AM »

Hi all,

Well, they're multiplying! Just added an FXS to complement my SR. What a blast the FXS is! I didn't think I'd ever be able to ride one, given the seat height, but Hollywood Electrics lowered it for me and it's perfect. (If you need a little vertical help, definitely talk to them, they have a short version of the OEM shock they'll swap with your original, and likewise for your seat.)

So I have a question about charging the batteries off-bike: Is there a particular order in which the bike draws power from the batteries? for example, does it deplete the front one then move to the back? Or does it draw from each equally? I'm just wondering in what order I should go about charging them when the bike gets low on charge? Which should I pull first?

I appreciate any other tips, as I found the manual a little sparse in this area.

thanks!
Christina

Keith

• View Profile
Re: FXS battery pack, charging off bike...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 02:55:03 AM »

The bike tries to use both packs equally at the same time. If one has a higher charge, it will use it until it matches the lower charged one and then use both together. That can reduce the bike performance at high speeds and torque demand since it can't use both packs when they are unbalanced. Charging both packs together in the bike is good but slow. I use two external chargers to do both packs off bike. If you can only charge one at a time, I guess you should try to add the same amount to each.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

cep55

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:04:52 AM »

Very helpful, thanks Keith!

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 03:34:47 AM »

In case you didn't know, you'll need the adapter to charge off the bike.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »

Keith made an unofficial manual entry for this and then I went through and tried to systematize it a bit:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Advanced_Modifications#Charging_Off_Bike
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 03:40:12 AM »

Thanks for the diagram. I bought the adapter but I couldn't get it to work!?! After talking to some people we discovered that there are 2 different ones. I think it's 2013 and earlier has 1 signal wire, while the newer version has 3. My dealer closed ( nothing to do with Zero, just closed). Harlan sorted it and swapped me for the 3 wire type, thanks again!! Works fine now. I had 2 batteries that were replaced under warranty so I took the Anderson connectors off them. Now with a couple SBS75X connectors and some wires, etc. I can build 2 more and sell them.
Pages: [1]