• April 25, 2024, 05:41:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero FXS on the Street and Track  (Read 661 times)

StraydogEOMFD

• View Profile
Zero FXS on the Street and Track
« on: June 27, 2017, 08:24:35 AM »

So I took my FXS to the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania and then on to Oakland Valley Racepark in Cuddebackville, NY. First and foremost, I have to say overall it was an absolute blast and I have zero regrets on the purchase. Second, this was my first time with the FXS on the track and I had no intentions of being competitive, just wanted to have fun and not get hurt which I surely succeeded at. The track footage was a race day, I really want to get back out there on an open track day so I can play with the custom settings some more because the majority of the time I ran the bike in eco mode due to the dirt section and lack of desire to lose the back end with the torque and street tires. I used about 15-20% of battery each session at most in each session and had enough time in between to charge back up to about 95-100% for the most part aside from the 2nd race using only the on board charger. I think I started around 85ish percent there and wound up at 70 by the end of it. For the practice session and qualifying sessions, I didn't have any issues at all however for races 1 and 2 I did manage to get the flashing temperature indicator on the dash by the end of each race however I never had the bike get to the point where I experienced a reduction in power so I guess it was just the warning that I was getting close to that. The air temps started out in the low 70s F in the morning and wound up around 90 F when the clouds weren't blocking the sun.
In the end, I had an absolute blast and the bike performed as expected or better in many ways. I answered a ton of the same questions but was happy to do so and hope to sway some more people towards the light. It was pretty much 100% positive reception for the first electric bike at a supermoto race for the fellow riders of the North East Supermoto community and I can't wait to get back for another round. When I get some shots from the photographers who were there I'll be sure to post them up however I'm sure they won't be super exciting as I'm pretty damn slow and don't know how to pose in action for the camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjO4tPgNhlk&feature=youtu.be

Curt

• View Profile
Re: Zero FXS on the Street and Track
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:21:55 PM »

Looks like great fun! Thanks for sharing.

Funny how the rear-facing camera makes it look like your handlebars are 4 feet wide.

StraydogEOMFD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 03:45:10 AM »

Oh it was a riot!  Yeah, the rear angle is sorta funky but fun.  I like it because it shows how much huckin and buckin goes on for the rider with true SM track riding. 

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 01:47:56 PM »

I was going to get rid of my FX(s) when I got my SR but it is so much more fun to ride that I kept it.
Not sure if yours is the 6.5 brick or Modular. If modular with both bricks, since you are using so little
of your charge on the circuit, you might try riding with MORE power enabled but, only one brick,
FULL power with one brick is only about 60% of both bricks.
Zero to 30 time is similar, Zero to 60 is marginally slower. The bike is about 40 lbs. lighter, so even
MORE fun to throw around. With less power and less weight, the motor will be less stressed so should
go longer before getting any warning lights. 

StraydogEOMFD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 04:46:28 AM »

I was going to get rid of my FX(s) when I got my SR but it is so much more fun to ride that I kept it.
Not sure if yours is the 6.5 brick or Modular. If modular with both bricks, since you are using so little
of your charge on the circuit, you might try riding with MORE power enabled but, only one brick,
FULL power with one brick is only about 60% of both bricks.
Zero to 30 time is similar, Zero to 60 is marginally slower. The bike is about 40 lbs. lighter, so even
MORE fun to throw around. With less power and less weight, the motor will be less stressed so should
go longer before getting any warning lights.

I've got the modular battery setup.  I may have to give the single battery setup a go, does the onboard charger automatically balance the batteries if they are at different levels of charge?  The plug is under the seat for the empty bay, correct?  I haven't ever looked for it but I thought I heard that. 

As far as the SR goes, I desperately want one but can't afford it at the moment.  Having an FXS and SR is my goal for sure.  I've got a DR650 and an FZ07 in the garage right now though so that's another reason adding another bike doesn't make much sense right now.  I've only demo ridden the FXS on purpose because I know if I demo an SR I'm going to find some dumb excuse to get back into debt again.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 11:36:37 AM »

Not sure about newer models but on my 2013 ( orphan ) there is a flip up lock and the support swings out, then removes from bike.
The two batteries are then accessible. On mine, they sort of pop out. I put pressure with my knee against one battery until it releases
from the connection, then go around to the brake side of the bike and walk it the rest of the way out. Be ready though, it weighs around
40 lbs. you don't want to drop one.
   The BMS is SUPPOSED to do the proper balancing. I don't do it often or for very long but when I do, I will charge One battery, then
the other, then, ride and charge it with both batteries as normal. Better to be safe. With one battery in, it should charge to full in half
the time since entire charge is going to the one brick.
Pages: [1]