• April 23, 2024, 04:07:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Powertank + chargetank : only enough room for one... Solutions?  (Read 1823 times)

Killroy

• View Profile
Re: Powertank + chargetank : only enough room for one... Solutions?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 08:51:35 AM »

One thing that is nice about the onboard is plugging into 110V when its convenient.
Each charging module of DigiNow SCv2 will scale the load with the input voltage, i.e. approximate maximum 16A at 120Vac suppl and 32A at 240Vac supply. You would need to connect only one module, but it does what you want.

That's good, but isn't 16A a little high for a 15 Amp circuit?

42Cliffside

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 10:18:31 AM »

16A would ... well, Should use a 20 amp plug
They do exist...

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »

I should say that the real question is whether, when installing a high-powered charger, if a Power Tank is already installed with large lugs attached to the battery-controller terminals, how to make room for lugs for the charger. They'll probably stack with sufficient threading, but the cables need room to route without strain or excessive bending.

Because you're going to need to exceed the Accessory Charging Port's limits to charge at more than 0.7C if you have a Power Tank.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 02:42:17 PM »

And what about the evtricity solution ?
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6781.0

6.6kw external charger. No need to modify anything, it's plug and play...

Used it yesterday (stored in my topcase), it's awesome and very easy to use. Got 8kW from 0 to 90%
Zero S 11k 2016

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 12:43:13 AM »

And what about the evtricity solution ?
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6781.0

6.6kw external charger. No need to modify anything, it's plug and play...

Used it yesterday (stored in my topcase), it's awesome and very easy to use. Got 8kW from 0 to 90%

In fact i used that solution since 4 years now  ;) with 6.6kw meanwell on my 2012. that was nice.. but the fact that they are not waterproof and not ready to use is bugging me.  I had severe rain during long trip and cahrging with so intense rain is not very safe with air cooled  no IP65 circuit.  Waterproof charger is a real advantage!

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 01:52:59 AM »

You are right !

for waterproof usage, you have to make a box to protect the charger. Not so difficult with a small topcase (to simplify transport), but true, not ready to use out of the box ;)
Zero S 11k 2016

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 02:21:07 AM »

Last summer i have tried building a " waterproof" case for the 3 air cooled meanwell and I failed.

I built an aluminum box to stack all 3x 2000W  Meanwell inside the tank area that had a calculated maze to trap  and drain any water intrusion but to keep correct airflow but after an hour of full power charging, one of the PSU blown after overheating witch disapointed me alot!!  I worked so hard  and ingeneered everyting as i could and not laeving any doubt  and kept a safe margin on all parameters with thermal management and airflow.

I spent like 5 days designing and building and testig it then the day just before to begin my trip it blew!! :o        :-\

The idea was to not have to get all the 3 PSU out of the bag, make connections and watch for rain.. on every stop for charging.. I was dreaming of a simple J1772 plug on the top o fthe case to connect and that's it....

Doc

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 02:44:42 AM »

didnt tried yet, but my idea was to take some commercial parts.

A simple givi topcase (because ive already the plate to mount it)
like this
https://www.motoblouz.com/vente-top-case-givi-b27-monolock-51327.html

drill for in and out cables, add rubber to have a soft hermetic box

Add in the lower part a grid like this
https://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits/grille-d-aeration-aluminium-anodise-l-17-x-l-17-cm-e18156

If not enough, i think about add a fan to extract hot air

but most important is that evtricity charger is fan cooled, so, i dont think its necessary
Zero S 11k 2016

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 06:21:20 AM »

Last summer i have tried building a " waterproof" case for the 3 air cooled meanwell and I failed.

I built an aluminum box to stack all 3x 2000W  Meanwell inside the tank area that had a calculated maze to trap  and drain any water intrusion but to keep correct airflow but after an hour of full power charging, one of the PSU blown after overheating witch disapointed me alot!!  I worked so hard  and ingeneered everyting as i could and not laeving any doubt  and kept a safe margin on all parameters with thermal management and airflow.

I spent like 5 days designing and building and testig it then the day just before to begin my trip it blew!! :o        :-\

For this reason, I'm a little wary of someone buying off the shelf computer power supplies and treating "non-weather-rated charger in a watertight box with a lid" as equivalent to a weather-rated charger. These are absolutely not the same thing.

There's enough variability in how owners install their chargers, route the cables, and secure the connectors to add risk to what we do that saving money on equipment not rated for the environment seems unwise.

To their credit, EVTricity's chargers are (seemingly) closer to off-the-shelf so might theoretically benefit from replacements in the field. But we should make sure not to mislead someone into a frustrating mid-trip breakdown or fault that damages their bike's systems.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 07:14:07 AM »

I would like to hear from anyone who uses both the Evtricity and Diginow systems, how these two vendors and their power charging solutions are compared?
Pages: 1 [2]