• April 25, 2024, 05:19:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2017 DSR real world mileage  (Read 3209 times)

webster

• View Profile
2017 DSR real world mileage
« on: June 25, 2017, 02:25:15 AM »

Hello I own a 2015 Zero FX. When I bought the FX the worst reported mileage (hard sport mode ridding) from Zero was 70 miles combined. I have never been able to get more than 30 miles out of it and have ran out of battery power twice. I'm 205 lbs and like to ride aggressive. I love the bike but 30 miles doesn't get me far. I'm looking into upgrading to a DSR or maybe the SR depending on which one I like best after a test ride. I'm more of a sport rider and not interested in the added weight of the power tank accessary. Zero has drastically lowered the mileage estimates on the newer bikes. The worst mileage reported is at 70 miles for the DSR and 81 for the SR. I'm concerned if I buy the DSR I will only get 50 miles out of it on a full charge. I only ride in sport mode and don't use a motorcycle for commuting. Are there any DSR owners out there who can comment on the mileage in sport mode? I keeping positive that I don't have to buy a gas powered motorcycle.

Ireek

• View Profile
Re: 2017 DSR real world mileage
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 04:15:03 AM »

I guess your bike is the 5.7 which should have similar mileage to the 6.5, this mileage experience you have concerns me for I have a similar riding style and am really really close to pulling the trigger on a new 17 FX (just sold 2 bikes this week), I could live with a slight reduction in mileage and understand the demands of constantly twisting the throttle but I'm a "go fast" kind of guy, plain and simple.  If I'm only gonna get 45 minutes or so of run time, I might have to go back to gas...  Commuting back and forth on a bike in eco mode doesn't interest me.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 05:23:23 AM »

The most I've gotten my 15 FX 6.5 its about 52 miles with 10% left. I'm 175# and kept it at 45mph for almost the whole trip. With an S platform you could add a power tank for a few more miles.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Clay
DoD #2160,6

roadie195

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 05:49:36 AM »

I have brand new fxs.  Zero's concept of "city" is literally in the city, streets, not even large suburban streets.   Works for me because i have gas bikes for the freeway etc.  I've also learned how to max the regen.... I could easily get 80 miles in the city, like in the city.  I run mainly eco, plenty of pep for me.  I have drained with freeway riding, got about 45 miles.  Granted i did a fair amount of drafting...  Was interesting, big surface streets really had no added efficiency than 70 mph on the freeway.   Also, on the zero site it shows variations that can effect efficiency;  loose belt, and wind.  I'm 225# and 6'2" so i lean over a lot cafe style on higher speeds.  In fact I'm going to research some drop bars... the bike kind of lends itself to "tron" type / cafe riding... i love the bike.  My only complaint is its noisier thatn the demo i rode, trying to figure that out.  Kind of a propeller type sound, like flywheel that touches on each revolution... my dealer and zero said check the belt with the Gates belt app. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »

I have brand new fxs.  Zero's concept of "city" is literally in the city, streets, not even large suburban streets.   Works for me because i have gas bikes for the freeway etc.  I've also learned how to max the regen.... I could easily get 80 miles in the city, like in the city.  I run mainly eco, plenty of pep for me.  I have drained with freeway riding, got about 45 miles.  Granted i did a fair amount of drafting...  Was interesting, big surface streets really had no added efficiency than 70 mph on the freeway.   Also, on the zero site it shows variations that can effect efficiency;  loose belt, and wind.  I'm 225# and 6'2" so i lean over a lot cafe style on higher speeds.  In fact I'm going to research some drop bars... the bike kind of lends itself to "tron" type / cafe riding... i love the bike.  My only complaint is its noisier thatn the demo i rode, trying to figure that out.  Kind of a propeller type sound, like flywheel that touches on each revolution... my dealer and zero said check the belt with the Gates belt app. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That app doesn't sound all that accurate. Better to get a Gates Krikit tension gauge, about $15 on eBay, very easy to use.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

E-Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 09:51:15 PM »

I have a '16 DSR and I stopped really guaging how many miles I get once I realized  was good for well over 100 in city hard sport riding. On the highways at full throttle (85-90 mp/h) it only got about 60, but at lower speeds that improved a bit to where I'd guess I could've got 85 on eco at 55 mph.

I'm 230lbs, ride aggressively, always in custom mode (max torque, max speed, max brake regen, zero engine regen) and I am confident it'll get you a hundred no problems. If you feather it out on eco and keep your speeds low, you could do the max listed range easily I'd say. But I'm always more interested in having fun and then plugging it in as needed;)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:53:10 PM by E-Luke »

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 12:12:31 AM »

2016 DSR ZF13.0 went from 100% to 00% in 60.1mi

Don't ask what speed... :)

webster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 09:04:16 AM »

Thanks for the response. 60 miles sounds about right compared to the 30 miles on my FX. I wish Zero would post more accurate numbers.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 09:23:15 AM »

I dunno, seems like a non problem to me. Either buy the new bike, and commit to not "ridi(ing) aggressive" to achieve the range you want, or don't. I did, and rode to work my first day very slowly, discovering that the range was very adequate for my needs. I now complete my 50-mile round-trip commute every day with about 45-50% SoC remaining when I get home, riding at a speed I'm very happy with -- I rarely even look at my speedometer. That's very much in line with the range predicted by Zero.

"I like to ride aggressive" reads to me as "I don't care about anything but riding like an idiot". If that's true, you may not be happy upgrading. Otherwise, take a chance, and ride in a controlled fashion on the rides you want, Then you can bump up the numbers based on what you find -- that's exactly how I proceeded.

Or continue insisting that riding like an idiot means you can;t ride an EV, and don't upgrade. Miss out. Ain't no big thing.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 09:41:25 AM »

Shadow, If you remember, What was your motor temp / ambient temp?

I'm curious how much better heat management is for 16's and likely 17's.

Here in Lake County, on somewhat flat areas, I need to monitor the motor temp closely. Example - Today, afternoon ambient temp was about 92F, motor temp was about 195F at 60mph and no wind screen. I can't push very hard as 212F plus happens quickly if I start working the throttle. On 175 between Middletown and Kelseyville, with these warmer days, I miss making spirited drives.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 10:09:22 AM »

Here in Lake County, on somewhat flat areas, I need to monitor the motor temp closely. Example - Today, afternoon ambient temp was about 92F, motor temp was about 195F at 60mph and no wind screen. I can't push very hard as 212F plus happens quickly if I start working the throttle. On 175 between Middletown and Kelseyville, with these warmer days, I miss making spirited drives.
On bikes with IPM motor you will worry a lot less about motor temps. Battery temps become the new problem if you are working the throttle hard but you can manage that by just keeping speed below 60 mph when below 30%....above 30% flog the bike like you stole it [emoji1]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »

Great question, I don't watch my motor temperature at all. I've never hit over-temp on the motor, and only had a warning about over-temp on the controller a couple of times after riding fast uphill a 20mi long 9% grade. Typically I will ride between 55mph to 62mph for long distances. The closer west I travel towards SF Bay area though the speed of traffic picks up to something like 85mph+ which is difficult to maintain my preferred cruising speed when all traffic around me is going 20mph faster or more.

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 12:32:42 PM »

The only time I had a thermal warning light was durin the test ride, where I first went WOT on the highway for 10 minutes before taking the exit and some fast twisties back. All this in 30C temperature. Took 15 minutes to get the warning, but it was the blinking thing so no power reduction occurred.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »

On a 2016/2017 Zero IPM I don't think anyone overheats their motor on the street.  The new design is so much far superior to the 2015 and earlier design as far as thermal management.

As for range numbers I agree with Shadow, that if you sustain speeds over 85 mph the whole distance, you can drain a battery in 60 miles.  The numbers that Zero lists are for 55 and 70 mph and are pretty accurate.  They are measured with the rider in a tuck position.  If you tend to ride more upright and are tall, your highway range will be about 30% less, but you can always increase it by simply crouching into a race tuck position.  If you have a tank bag and a sweatshirt, just lay down on the tank, its very comfortable and your highway range at 70 mph on an SR with a powertank can be over 100 miles.

The faster you go, and the more upright you ride, number will go down from there.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:16:38 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 02:32:09 AM »

Since Terry brought up tucking, I may as well mention that a windscreen should net you a 10% range increase, just by slowing and shaping the wind around your upper body.

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#Windscreens
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1] 2