• April 25, 2024, 04:24:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is there a cheap UK insurer for ZERO?  (Read 442 times)

potboiler

• View Profile
Is there a cheap UK insurer for ZERO?
« on: June 17, 2017, 01:02:00 AM »

I would like a Zero DS but am put off by high insurance costs. I am 60, presently ride a BMW f800gs that costs £130 to insure. I can find only 2 companies that will insure a Zero, one costs £900 and the other £9650!!! Electric bikes will never sell in the UK until the insurance industry accepts them as normal bikes.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: Is there a cheap UK insurer for ZERO?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 02:03:55 AM »

Try Wicked Quotes. Something like £250 for my DS.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 03:42:54 AM »

I found Wicked Quotes was about the same (£108 fully comp) as for my previous Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. I'm 49 and live in a low risk area, garaged, etc. They do however charge about £50 for any changes so screwed me over that way!

Bikesure tweeted about the Zero and when I called them out on the difficulties of getting insurance they claimed they could. I bet they don't though.
https://twitter.com/bikesure/status/836185451102883841
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:44:07 AM »

I found Wicked Quotes was about the same (£108 fully comp) as for my previous Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. I'm 49 and live in a low risk area, garaged, etc. They do however charge about £50 for any changes so screwed me over that way!

Bikesure tweeted about the Zero and when I called them out on the difficulties of getting insurance they claimed they could. I bet they don't though.

They stung me with admin fees too when it turned out my no claims was incorrect by a year. I'll try and get a better deal from them next time!

Are either of you members of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) by the way? You may be able to get a discount via their affiliated insurer.  If you aren't, then I strongly recommend you go and get your green badge. The training you'll receive is the best insurance you can get. They're doing free taster session too. It only costs £150 for all the training and the exam is included.

Check out www.iam.org.uk

potboiler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »

Actually, it was Wicked that came up on comparethemarket as the cheapest at £900. I also live in a low risk rural area. Also lifetime motorcyclist and no accident history. I can't see why there is such a hugh difference in quotes.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »

Actually, it was Wicked that came up on comparethemarket as the cheapest at £900. I also live in a low risk rural area. Also lifetime motorcyclist and no accident history. I can't see why there is such a hugh difference in quotes.

Try ringing Wicked directly. Mention the deals others have got. There's bound to be an error somewhere. Some of the information you have input on the form made the algorithm squeal. Speak to a human and between you, you'll be able to work out where the problem is and get a decent quote.

Do please let us know if this helps.
Pages: [1]