• March 29, 2024, 05:09:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2017 FXS 6.5 Modular vs non-modular?  (Read 1466 times)

cep55

• View Profile
2017 FXS 6.5 Modular vs non-modular?
« on: June 14, 2017, 12:37:21 AM »

Hi all,

I haven't been able to find info that explains exactly what the pros/cons of the FXS modular option are (other than it being $500 more.)

Obviously the ability to remove and charge the battery off the bike is the main advantage... what are the other differences between modular/non-modular?

Also, is off-bike charging possible with the included power cord, or is there any special charging hardware necessary for that?

thanks,
Christina
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:45:20 AM by cep55 »

dv8sean

• View Profile
Re: 2017 FXS 6.5 Modular vs non-modular?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 01:08:06 AM »

The advantage of the integrated (non-removable) battery system is cost savings. The advantage of the modular system is the ability to charge off-board and/or quickly swap power packs, particularly useful if doing track days or riding in OHV areas.

To charge off-board, you'd need an accessory charger and, if you want to use multiple chargers, proper connector/s.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5&zenid=o5m69qfhrm1bqm432ib22mnjq0

This message brought to you by a Zero employee.

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 02:50:01 AM »

I thought you could also ride with just one pack with the modular bike, I found this attractive for off road riding around the house due to the weight reduction, please correct me if I'm wrong, this is a big reason that i want to purchase the FX.

cep55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 03:03:43 AM »

Cool, thanks Sean!

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 04:57:28 AM »

I thought you could also ride with just one pack with the modular bike, I found this attractive for off road riding around the house due to the weight reduction, please correct me if I'm wrong, this is a big reason that i want to purchase the FX.
Yessir, you can absolutely ride the FX with only one battery pack. Saves about 45 pounds.
Clay
DoD #2160,6

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »

Some thoughts from my side:

-the discount on the non modular doesn't reflect the difference in the purchase price at all. Ask your dealer for quotes for 2x 3.3 kWh packs or 1x 6.5 kWh and you will be shocked how big the difference is. Whereas the single 6.5 pack is about half a 13 pack, two 3.3 packs come close to a 13 pack. Although you don't have to consider a future repurchase at the first point because you'll have five years of warranty and the pack should last even longer, is still worth to consider
-the modular system has a lot more connectors and is less resistant to the elements, what might lead to more corrosion/electrical contact issues in the future
-when you will be riding in some cold climate conditions as well, riding on a single pack is basically a useless case. Below 10°C air temp, it becomes a fast scooter, topspeed is extremly limited
-taking them out for charging is quite annoying, as the packs are quite heavy and the retaining mechanism isn't very handy. In addition to that you'll need adapters and a separate expensive and bulky charger to be able to perform of board charging. Furthermore you can only charge one after another, to charge both packs at the same time you'll need another separate charger.

I would always buy the non-modular variant in the future. From my point of view, the modular system does only make sense if you want the lower weight for offroad riding in warm climate or for swapping batterys for track use.
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 03:04:51 AM »

Some thoughts from my side:

-the discount on the non modular doesn't reflect the difference in the purchase price at all. Ask your dealer for quotes for 2x 3.3 kWh packs or 1x 6.5 kWh and you will be shocked how big the difference is. Whereas the single 6.5 pack is about half a 13 pack, two 3.3 packs come close to a 13 pack. Although you don't have to consider a future repurchase at the first point because you'll have five years of warranty and the pack should last even longer, is still worth to consider
-the modular system has a lot more connectors and is less resistant to the elements, what might lead to more corrosion/electrical contact issues in the future
-when you will be riding in some cold climate conditions as well, riding on a single pack is basically a useless case. Below 10°C air temp, it becomes a fast scooter, topspeed is extremly limited
-taking them out for charging is quite annoying, as the packs are quite heavy and the retaining mechanism isn't very handy. In addition to that you'll need adapters and a separate expensive and bulky charger to be able to perform of board charging. Furthermore you can only charge one after another, to charge both packs at the same time you'll need another separate charger.

I would always buy the non-modular variant in the future. From my point of view, the modular system does only make sense if you want the lower weight for offroad riding in warm climate or for swapping batterys for track use.

Sorry for the thread jack, I too appreciate the input.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:06:47 AM by Ireek »

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »

I use the 2016 FX exclusively for off road trail riding and would not be able to keep up with my KTM riding partners without swapping batteries midday. I have four packs ($$$$) but that means I can get to 100% while we eat a quick lunch and go back on the trails for a full afternoon of riding. 80+ miles per day trail rides are only possible with modular. My use case is not common but I would be riding a KTM300 instead if modular was not an option. I just got back from three days of riding the West Virginia Hatfield McCoy trail system unloading at five different trail heads and riding almost 200 miles of extreme rocky and muddy trails. My friends ride KTM500 and KTM300 bikes, the Zero FX was just as capable with the battery swap to extend the range. I have two external chargers but I can usually get all four packs to 100% with just the on bike charger between riding days. I also have about 3 miles of singletrack mountain trail around my house and I do ride that with one pack for the lighter weight. Performance does noticeably drop at lower charge percentages with one pack so I swap a single pack before it gets below 30%.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 09:13:20 PM »

Basically, Zero just quit making off road bikes, once they stopped manufacturing the 2017 non modular variant.

No serious off road can be done easily with 2 bricks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »

Basically, Zero just quit making off road bikes, once they stopped manufacturing the 2017 non modular variant.

You can still buy the modular FX/FXS.....they cost like $500 more than if you get the new long brick FX/FXS.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »

You can still buy the modular FX/FXS.....they cost like $500 more than if you get the new long brick FX/FXS.

That's good to know.
The question is what are the plans for the next months / years once the modular versions end?

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 12:08:19 PM »

That's good to know.
The question is what are the plans for the next months / years once the modular versions end?

Zero understands the use case well. They originally thought the design would appeal to those that don't have a garage so they could take out the battery and bring it in an apartment to charge. Turns out no one was doing that. The only ones removing were track day users. Until technology progresses to the point where energy density increases to the point where you can either get through the entire day with one charge or charge fast enough for the next session then Zero will most likely keep making it. It's not likely you will miss the current design once it does finally go away completely.

Side note to Keith.... that's awesome that you seeded your route with charged batteries. You are one of few who have done this....even if you include the US Military which does exactly that with the MX.

2014 Zero S

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 01:04:10 PM »

I have a Zero for weekend off road ridings only. 2 hours on Saturday morning and that's about it.
One battery is what I need, and that will end...

But I suppose my riding habits are not the norm.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »

I have a short daily commute, use only one battery, charge it only every couple days, and swap the battery weekly for wear balancing. I'll use both batteries for a longer joyride.

The 42lb reduction makes a remarkable difference in handling and achievable G-forces. It's quite a bit more exciting to ride. If I were to upgrade to a 2017, I 'd definitely pay extra and get the modular.
Pages: [1]