• March 29, 2024, 04:23:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wifi App Controlled Hardwire Wall Outlet Suggestions  (Read 1339 times)

ESokoloff

• View Profile
Wifi App Controlled Hardwire Wall Outlet Suggestions
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:37:38 PM »

120v 15A

I'm looking for a way to limit my charging (time) at home so I'm looking for a timer/control.

I want to hardware it to minamize as many points of connection as possible.

At this time I'm only looking to automate just this outlet so I don't want to incur the additional cost of a separate interface device. 
Will use home's wifi & my iPhone.   

Any recommendations (hopefully based on personal experience)? 

Thx
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:48:39 PM by ESokoloff »
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Re: Wifi App Controlled Hardwire Wall Outlet Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:55:09 PM »

You want a heavy-duty appliance outlet timer.
There should be a good selection of them at your local hardware store, or Lowes/Homedepot.
Look for one rated for 20A. The ones rated for 15 amps are not expecting a constant full load for hours on end.

There's such a large number of them out there, and they all have different features, I can't recommend one specific one. I do know that you can make some of them overheat and fail if they are 15a rated.  Also the non-UL ones are dangerous for EVs.. UL listed ones will have a thermal fuse and disconnect if they overheat. Cheap Chinese ones will keep heating up until the housing melts.

jef.jakobs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 05:37:49 AM »

I went with a Koogeek Smart Plug. Not sure how well it would work with just an iPhone. Guessing it works as long as the phone is on your wifi (so it wouldn't do anything if you're not at home). The nice thing is that it keeps track of your electricity use (real time and historical). Rated for 15a. Used it for about half a year. Seems to hold up. Did have it set to turn on twice so that if it fails due to some network issue, it'll just try again a few minutes later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 05:02:02 PM »

You want a heavy-duty appliance outlet timer.

If I go Electro/Mechanical (as apposed to solid state) I would go with an Intermatic 4 hr spring wound timer https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=intermatic+4+hour+timer&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=176948329100&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=291044765264202324&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031142&hvtargid=aud-318871268760:kwd-16159758727&ref=pd_sl_56ztyn7ugj_b
& install it mid cord  but would like to explore a solid state outlet first. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 05:05:58 PM »

I went with a Koogeek Smart Plug. Not sure how well it would work with just an iPhone. Guessing it works as long as the phone is on your wifi (so it wouldn't do anything if you're not at home). The nice thing is that it keeps track of your electricity use (real time and historical). Rated for 15a. Used it for about half a year. Seems to hold up. Did have it set to turn on twice so that if it fails due to some network issue, it'll just try again a few minutes later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of data capture but not glitches with these devices.
The thought of hopping on the bike and realizing you don't have enough juice to get to work concerns me........
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »

It would/will be nice when Zero enables custom charging on the/a app to allow for delayed charge start time & stop the charge at a selectable battery or KW useage level. 

Likely the electronics on present models would not allow for this tho.

Eric
2016 Zero DSR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 11:16:32 PM »

It would/will be nice when Zero enables custom charging on the/a app to allow for delayed charge start time & stop the charge at a selectable battery or KW useage level. 

Likely the electronics on present models would not allow for this tho.

I don't believe the BMS has a real-time clock.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 02:07:15 AM »

MBB and Dash seem to independently keep track of the time, and already we know that the charger has been controlled by latest firmware update to not re-activate from 100% down to 90% while in a long period of storage. It seems unlikely that the amount of legwork to make this happen will get done on stock bikes. Possible, just don't see how this would be worthwhile to invest resources in doing from the manufacturer point of view.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 01:04:05 AM »

......... It seems unlikely that the amount of legwork to make this happen will get done on stock bikes. Possible, just don't see how this would be worthwhile to invest resources in doing from the manufacturer point of view.

Im Ok with the present bikes not being able to allow for user selected delayed and/or limiting  level charge but it would be a nice "Curb  Appeal" feature to offer.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »

MBB and Dash seem to independently keep track of the time, and already we know that the charger has been controlled by latest firmware update to not re-activate from 100% down to 90% while in a long period of storage. It seems unlikely that the amount of legwork to make this happen will get done on stock bikes. Possible, just don't see how this would be worthwhile to invest resources in doing from the manufacturer point of view.

I believe that time is just a counter from whenever it was started, not a real-time clock.
I would love to be wrong about that though.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 10:33:40 PM »

I'm looking for a way to limit my charging (time) at home so I'm looking for a timer/control.

Getting back to the original thread, if you find anything that works to your satisfaction, ESokoloff, please report back. That could be pretty cool. I've been using a regular mechanical timer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00435KOUY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) which is pretty economical and has been working fine for over a year now, but it would be nice for this and some other purposes to automate the process. Here in CA, the EV electrical rate is great, but you have to avoid the summer afternoon hours like the plague, because the price triples.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 11:19:16 PM »

What is this for? Long term storage? I just plug in when I get home and unplug in the morning. Yes, it's plugged in a couple of hours after being charged, but there's no harm in that. The charger knows not to "feed" the battery once it's full.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 12:12:41 AM »

What is this for? Long term storage? I just plug in when I get home and unplug in the morning. Yes, it's plugged in a couple of hours after being charged, but there's no harm in that. The charger knows not to "feed" the battery once it's full.

some areas charge different electrical rates depending upon the time of day. Usually, its cheaper at night when demand is lower.
let's say you get home and it's still the daytime rate. With a timer, you can plug it in, but it won't charge until later when its the night rate.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 11:09:36 AM »

Now you have me thinking... Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6HT2YN/ref=asc_df_B01N6HT2YN5033817/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01N6HT2YN&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193989831776&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16470951918841987690&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028796&hvtargid=pla-315839250701 I could control it from my Securifi Almond+. You could also use the Amazon Alexa.

As to the different rates at different times of day, our supplier has it as an option. I need to crunch the numbers to see if it would be worthwhile.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:14:29 AM by clay.leihy »
Clay
DoD #2160,6

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 12:07:36 AM »

My employer encourages ev charging so I'm attempting to maximize my ROI (Return On Investment) by minimally charging at home & fully charging at work.   
Eric
2016 Zero DSR
Pages: [1] 2