• April 24, 2024, 12:04:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What the H*** did my dealer do?  (Read 1008 times)

SRich

• View Profile
What the H*** did my dealer do?
« on: June 06, 2017, 08:54:41 AM »

Last Saturday,  I rode my 2015 Zero S down to my dealer (about 40 miles away) to have my front tire replaced and have the bike checked for the Auxillary power recall.  I made the appointment specifically so the Zero tech could work on my bike (of course he was not there as was promised). I was told I would have to reschedule to have the recall checked into but that they could replace the tire. They also mentioned they would spray the belt with silicone which would help it to last longer. Once the tire was replaced I payed my $60 (which seemed extravagant for labor to replace a front tire,I had purchased the tire separately before) and rode home. After arriving home, I took my helmet off and took my earplugs out and moved my bike and heard a strange grinding noise. While moving it. I had never heard this sound before until then. I noticed a couple of things while checking the bike. It looked like the bike had been thoroughly drenched with with whatever they sprayed on the belt and back sprocket. Everything had a white residue on it, almost like it had been sprayed with cabarator cleaner.  I also noticed the rear wheel nut had been dramatically tightened.  Bottom line is after I visit my dealer the bike has an issue it didn't have before I took it there. I know this because I have a Biker Pro video camera. I reviewed the video before and after being at the dealer. The wheel wasn't making the grinding  sound before I got to the dealer. Within a few miles of leaving the dealer, I can distinctly hear the grinding when slowing to a stop and just after staring again. Once I am going over 15 miles an hour the sound disappears. I am presuming in must be bearings. See what you think. Here is the video link of what I recorded today.

Question is do you think over tightening the nut on the rear wheel cause the issue along with whatever they spayed on the belt? I t know the 2015's have sealed bearings so what would cause a failure like this?

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: What the H*** did my dealer do?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:04:55 AM »

Been in that same situation, done that. Will not let anyone touch my bike with a wrench unsupervised ever again.

Dry silicone spray is not tested by the belt manufacturer but is purported to reduce noise by some people who own Zero bikes and happen to be Zero employees.

See the belt alignment advice at Zeromanual website: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Belt_Adjustment

Where in the world are you?

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 03:00:42 PM »

Hi,

I've got the grinding sound issue !

For me, it was just because the belt was not enough tight
Zero S 11k 2016

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 05:18:00 PM »

Didn't some idiot at the dealer spray regular chain lube on it? That also creates a white, sticking residue.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:20:37 PM »

My first guess is that it is a belt alignment or tensioning issue. Bad bearings usually make a rumbling sound when the wheel is rotated slowly.  You might be able to check where the noise is coming from by putting the bike up on a rear wheel stand, rotating the wheel and listen to the noise using a mechanic's stethoscope (Around $10 at an auto accessory store) or touching the wheel axle with a long screwdriver with your ear against the handle while turning the wheel. If you hear a low rumbling noise, coming from the axle then the problem is likely a bearing.  If the noise is more of a squeal and not coming from the axle then it is most likely coming from the belt.  In any case, it wouldn't hurt to loosen the axle nut and torque it to specs, while checking the belt tension and alignment at the same time.

It is my understanding that rubber drive belt manufacturers all recommend against using any belt dressing or silicone lube on their belts.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:21:19 PM »

It is my understanding that rubber drive belt manufacturers all recommend against using any belt dressing or silicone lube on their belts.

I agree. also checked with a belt manufacturer. He strongly reccomend against using any kind of material on the belts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SRich

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 11:42:28 PM »

Hi,

I've got the grinding sound issue !

For me, it was just because the belt was not enough tight

Good to know it might just be the belt.  Strange thing is, when I loosen the rear wheel axle nut the sound isn't as loud.  I guess it could be that the tension on the belt is changing.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 12:59:46 AM »

I heard a clicking like this on a friend's bike and will walk through this with them to see if a re-tensioning and alignment makes it go away.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 01:47:12 AM »

Must say that i checked and changed my belttension twice in almost two years.
My experience is that when tightening the nut (rearaxle) you also change the belttension slightly. So that's happening after you did the tension adjustment of the belt.
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

SRich

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 03:55:19 AM »

Been in that same situation, done that. Will not let anyone touch my bike with a wrench unsupervised ever again.

Dry silicone spray is not tested by the belt manufacturer but is purported to reduce noise by some people who own Zero bikes and happen to be Zero employees.

See the belt alignment advice at Zeromanual website: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Belt_Adjustment

Where in the world are you?

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.  I called the dealer and he suggested putting more silicone spray or lithium grease on the belt, but I would guess it is the belt alignment as was mentioned by many of you.  I'll try adjusting the belt tonight and see how it turns out.  What is strange is that the belt appears to have come out of alignment after being being treated at the dealer.  I didn't have any work done on the back end of the bike while it was there, other than I think they probably tightened the rear axle nut to spec.  I guess it is possible they tried tensioning the belt as well and just didn't get it right .  If just treating the belt caused it to loosen (or tighten?), then the stated recommendation from the belt manufacturer that the belt not be treated seems to make sense. I would not think a belt would change size from being sprayed, but maybe it absorbed some of the silicon spray causing it to expand slightly? Just a guess.

SRich

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »

I talked to the service department at my Zero dealer.  They confirmed the only thing that was done to the bike was spraying the belt with silicone. I went through the procedure to adjust the belt (had to losen the tension on the belt) and everything is back to normal.  So the the bottom line is that spraying the belt can effect tolerance enough to throw off the belt alignment.  After this experience, I will definitely have the dealer follow the advice of the belt manufacturer not to treat it. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:04:15 AM by SRich »
Pages: [1]