• August 20, 2017, 06:28:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2015 FX loses 12 volt power, then it comes back  (Read 352 times)

Kenmc_3

• View Profile
2015 FX loses 12 volt power, then it comes back
« on: May 25, 2017, 11:39:23 PM »

So, coming to work this morning I noticed that the turn signal wasn't working. I checked the head light and it wasn't working also. About 2 hours after I parked it I turned it back on and all the lights worked except for the low beam. I smacked the housing with my hand and the light came back on. Any suggestions on where to look first? Or could the DC-DC converter have an intermittent fault?

Lenny

• View Profile
Re: 2015 FX loses 12 volt power, then it comes back
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:00:17 AM »

So, coming to work this morning I noticed that the turn signal wasn't working. I checked the head light and it wasn't working also. About 2 hours after I parked it I turned it back on and all the lights worked except for the low beam. I smacked the housing with my hand and the light came back on. Any suggestions on where to look first? Or could the DC-DC converter have an intermittent fault?

Some corrosion on plugs/contacts I guess. Disconnect them, clean them with electronics cleaner, and put them back together.
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16
Luggage rack and Eltek FastCharger

#ride365

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »

Some corrosion on plugs/contacts I guess. Disconnect them, clean them with electronics cleaner, and put them back together.

disconnect, clean, then put dielectric grease on them so it doesnt happen again.....

Kenmc_3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 12:02:03 AM »

Okay, I took off all the plastic and pulled apart every connector I could find. Put dielectric grease on the connectors. Lights worked fine. The next day they didn't. Cycled the key 4 times, still nothing. Took the gas bike, came back several hours later and the lights worked again. It just sat in the garage. Any ideas?

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 12:49:17 AM »

Have you checked the AGC fuse in the DC to DC?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Kenmc_3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 01:46:16 AM »

Where is the converter? I recognized the charger, and the controller, but I don't know what the converter looks like.

BrianTRice

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 05:48:33 AM »

Where is the converter? I recognized the charger, and the controller, but I don't know what the converter looks like.

It's a black box mounted horizontally just below the battery compartment, according to this teardown photo:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#X_Platform_Routing
Zero: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Also: 2012 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom Adv

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 10:14:03 PM »

Just a quick correction to Brian's statement above. It will be about the size of a long box of soap but although black underneath, will be covered entirely with Nashua aluminum ducting tape, so will appear silver.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 11:09:43 PM »

Some of those were recalled.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

BrianTRice

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 01:05:24 AM »

Just a quick correction to Brian's statement above. It will be about the size of a long box of soap but although black underneath, will be covered entirely with Nashua aluminum ducting tape, so will appear silver.

Oh, thank you! I forgot that I had seen it that way and was confused the first time.
Zero: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Also: 2012 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom Adv

Kenmc_3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »

Zero said my VIN is not in the recall group. I had it to the local dealer for the firmware upgrade and asked them to check it out. They said the problem was my "improper wiring" of LED lights. I have Acerbi hand guards and a small light strip around my luggage rack. I spliced into the harness for power. Oh yeah, I've been running these lights for over a year with no problem. So I guess I'm not getting any help from Zero. I am going to rewire the lights to the accessory connection, after I cut off the odd ball connector.
If the fuse you are referring to is the one in the wiring harness. Yes I have checked it. It is clean and in good condition. I'm baffled by the on and off issues of the lights. I just left the bike in the garage and would randomly turn on the key. Sometimes I would get lights, other times not. With the bike never moving from it's parking spot.
Pages: [1]