• April 26, 2024, 09:35:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cumberland Falls State Park trip on a Zero  (Read 705 times)

Emtkopan

• View Profile
Cumberland Falls State Park trip on a Zero
« on: May 21, 2017, 05:31:16 AM »

I met some friends this weekend to ride the twisties in Kentucky. Yesterday I did 124 miles with a three stops to plug in into 110V for about 15min each which netted me an extra 5-10% each time. I stayed in Eco mode the entire time too. Today I did a total of 162 miles with two stops to recharge off 110V. The first got me from 20 to 34% and the second from 10 to 15%. It died with 1 mile left to get to my destination. Granted it was uphill.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Cumberland Falls State Park trip on a Zero
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 12:46:49 PM »

The most I've gone without charging on a 2016 DSR ZF13.0 is 169mi, average speed about 40mph and a drop in elevation of about a mile. Dialing down the torque, keeping average speeds under 40mph, and no throttle-off regen (brake regen only) helps a lot to extend range.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 03:54:20 AM »

The most I've gone without charging on a 2016 DSR ZF13.0 is 169mi, average speed about 40mph and a drop in elevation of about a mile. Dialing down the torque, keeping average speeds under 40mph, and no throttle-off regen (brake regen only) helps a lot to extend range.

Does dialing down the torque actually help that much?  I don't see much difference between custom/85% and eco/50% (IIRC) on my 2014 SR, but setting top speed limiter or holding speed down by hand seems like a much bigger deal.  Terry's record on an unaltered Zero was a beach-park dog-park day where he averaged 25mph, I seem to recall.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 07:30:18 AM »

Does dialing down the torque actually help that much?  I don't see much difference between custom/85% and eco/50% (IIRC) on my 2014 SR, but setting top speed limiter or holding speed down by hand seems like a much bigger deal.  Terry's record on an unaltered Zero was a beach-park dog-park day where he averaged 25mph, I seem to recall.
Torque shouldn't matter as it takes the same amount of energy to get to X speed in Y or Y*2 time (provided that you're not wasting energy on wheel spin if you break the traction limits).

bigd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 09:53:28 AM »

Emtkopan -  Twisties  and Eco mode don't seem to go together :-)
Honda 1300VTX

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 08:25:21 PM »

They did decent actually. I would throttle down to regenerate around some twisties. Going up the hills though, not so friendly. Usually when I hit 0% I can go a few more miles but the hills required more torque than my SR could provide so once I hit 0% it died quickly.
Pages: [1]