• March 29, 2024, 05:34:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: What are your dreams for 2018?  (Read 14147 times)

Tony

• View Profile
Re: What are your dreams for 2018?
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »

And for a smooth/quiet driving, it's recommended by some motorcyclist organization to use rear brake as much as possible and front brake only for strong brake/emergency brake.
They say :
"Rear brake is your friend
Front brake is your enemy"
Wow, no. That is very dangerous advice. This is not even up for debate, this is physics. The weight transfer that takes place under front braking on a motorcycle pushes the front wheel onto the ground and makes it grip very well. This is where 80% of the braking power comes from. If you use the back brake during a drivers license exam here in Norway, you would fail. Correct braking is a big point you have to prove you understand. The rear brake is there to give you that extra edge during emergency brakes.

I see no problems having a smooth riding experience when using the front brake, it is just a matter of getting used to the more sensitive front braking. Getting used to always applying the back brake could get you in trouble during an emergency where you need more stopping power, but automatically go for the less effective rear brake.

I am sure there are situations where the rear brake should be favored, but it is better to focus on normal conditions when giving braking advice.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2017, 08:29:43 PM »

On an IC motorcycle with a twitchy throttle, I like to drag the rear brake when going around an tight uphill corner in order to control the torque sent to the rear wheel, while keeping the throttle open slightly to prevent stalling.  But with the Zero's throttle response this is not much of an issue.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2017, 02:02:08 AM »

With my Zero in the shop I've been riding my bicycle a lot more and have noticed all the times I use the rear brake, mostly during slow technical stuff, over curbs and rocks, through sand, just to slow a bit and keep it steady, as well as for slowing in slippery conditions where it looks like the front end could easily wash out with braking. I had to pay attention because I do it without even thinking. Of course for real stopping power, the front brake is essential.
Clay
DoD #2160,6

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2017, 02:12:19 AM »

With my Zero in the shop I've been riding my bicycle a lot more and have noticed all the times I use the rear brake . . .
I've been riding a motorcycle for less than two years, but I feel confident balancing front, rear, and regen braking. I think years of riding a mountain bike on all kinds of trails with very good hydraulic discs and an electric street bike with regen and disc brakes trained me well.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

ZEM Tahiti

• Zero Emission Motorcycles & Scooters Tahiti
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:01 AM »

Definitely agree with the more precise feeling with the left hand, specially on dirt, slippery trails. The thing is more "moto culture" against "scooter & bicycle culture".  But as early adapters are more flexible regarding culture, another new step is easier!
ZEM Tahiti stands for Zero Emission Motorcycles in Tahiti. Our island size is perfect for the electric range.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2017, 06:38:32 PM »

And for a smooth/quiet driving, it's recommended by some motorcyclist organization to use rear brake as much as possible and front brake only for strong brake/emergency brake.
They say :
"Rear brake is your friend
Front brake is your enemy"
Wow, no. That is very dangerous advice. This is not even up for debate, this is physics. The weight transfer that takes place under front braking on a motorcycle pushes the front wheel onto the ground and makes it grip very well. This is where 80% of the braking power comes from. If you use the back brake during a drivers license exam here in Norway, you would fail. Correct braking is a big point you have to prove you understand. The rear brake is there to give you that extra edge during emergency brakes.

I see no problems having a smooth riding experience when using the front brake, it is just a matter of getting used to the more sensitive front braking. Getting used to always applying the back brake could get you in trouble during an emergency where you need more stopping power, but automatically go for the less effective rear brake.

I am sure there are situations where the rear brake should be favored, but it is better to focus on normal conditions when giving braking advice.

Here in Australia learner riders are taught to use both front and back brakes together.
If you have a dirt bike history then you hardly ever use the front brake unless you want to end up face down in the mud.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2017, 03:02:38 AM »

What I REALLY wish for 2018 is for Zero to announce their plans and updates at the AIMExpo in the United States FIRST, before making any announcements in Europe or Asia.  They ARE an American company, after all, so why don't we get the first look?  Also, their people wouldn't have to travel as far (which would save the company some money, I'd imagine).

Of course, the fact that I will be attending this year's AIMExpo in Columbus has NOTHING to do with my opinion...  ::)
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2017, 05:17:44 AM »

OK, since this is a *wish list*

1. A true touring bike on the order of the Goldwing bagger. A bike this size would allow 8-9 battery bricks. Assuming an incremental increase to 3.5KWh = 28-31.5KW pack capacity. That's plenty to facilitate CCS DC fast charging. The batteries would be oriented longitudinally with 3x2 across the front with 2 stacked vertically behind. The big innovation would be the 9th battery below the low rider's seat. This is made possible by a hub motor integrated into the rear wheel. Aggressive regen would replace the mechanical rear brake. The fairing should be optimized for efficient cruising at 75-85mph.

2. A muscle cruiser using 7 bricks 2x2 in front 2x1behind and 1 under the low rider's seat. Again, using CCS charging, hub motor rear wheel with a super fat tire for burnouts in front of the bar. A visible beefy frame but have a cover panel for the batteries. The panel should be easily replaceable and used as a canvas for custom paint jobs. Just swap panels based on your mood for the day. You could even paint a fire breathing V-twin on it if you get nostalgic. The single most important part on this bike would be the subwoofer to mimic the rumble of a V-twin (switchable into stealth mode).

Hey, you said it's a WISH list.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:04:46 AM by Rugby4life »
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2017, 06:55:54 AM »

Regarding regen, I've seen quite a few people wanting left hand brake or reverse throttle for variable regen.  Why not have variable regen associated with the right foot?  Also, my understanding is that regen can be programmed much higher than the standard "100%" - all the way up to locking the rear wheel.  Is there really a need for a rear brake at all?

I don't think regen can lock your wheel as the slower you go (the slower the wheel turns) the less resistive force you get. At zero RPM you get Zero regen. But that said you may get your wheel turn much slower than the speed you are going, thus skidding over the ground.

Regen is like ABS in that you can set the level so as not to lock up or skid the rear wheel. Add an accelerometer and combined with controller knowledge (wheel speed a product of motor speed) you could have ABS without the extra cables and system it has now (at least on the back wheel).   

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2017, 01:20:18 AM »

A 12V Accessory W Harness that includes the mating electrical connectors with crimp or solder contacts.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2017, 10:08:31 PM »

Looking forward to see the 2018 announcements. Does anybody know where and when it will be?
I guess it will also be the first model year where we can see the influence of Brian Wismann to the design/developments.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2017, 04:12:20 AM »

Looking forward to see the 2018 announcements. Does anybody know where and when it will be?
I guess it will also be the first model year where we can see the influence of Brian Wismann to the design/developments.

I would be surprised if Brian has had enough time to make any significant changes to the Zero platform.  I'll be happy if he has managed to find a new charger supplier.  I have no idea when Zero will announce the 2018 models, perhaps next month.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JustinZeroMoto

• P&A ALL DAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2017, 06:15:15 AM »

KEEP EM COMING
***I am an employee of ZERO Motorcycles***

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »

KEEP EM COMING
(1) Self-diagnostic mode capable to commission the motor and controller roadside, improving upon the addition of firmware upgrades in 2017 via mobile app.

My bike experienced some unknown problem which resulted in a huge discrepancy of the motor controller timing data. This left me stranded roadside because the bike would accelerate uncontrollably. There are other persistent problems with the bike that remain, however if there was a way to commission the motor and controller roadside then it is likely I would have been able to ride safely to the dealership. As it was I had to have the bike towed to the dealership, where a commissioning was done to put good data in, and I'm now riding the bike until the dealership can clear enough time from their schedule to have a proper look at finding the cause of the persistent problems.

I get that motor controller programming is highly guarded intellectual property. However it should be possible to perform a bike initialization and motor commissioning roadside. The reliance on finding a Zero-authorized dealership, and further one that will make time from a busy schedule, is not a sensible way forward for growth of privately owned Zero Motorcycles vehicle sales. Requiring the dealership to be involved is not a benefit to the dealership, and it is at best inconvenient for the owner. Most owners don't even know what motor commissioning is, and the dealers are likely to say it is a zero maintenance vehicle that needs no service whatsoever.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »

OK, since this is a *wish list*

1. A true touring bike on the order of the Goldwing bagger. A bike this size would allow 8-9 battery bricks. Assuming an incremental increase to 3.5KWh = 28-31.5KW pack capacity. That's plenty to facilitate CCS DC fast charging. The batteries would be oriented longitudinally with 3x2 across the front with 2 stacked vertically behind. The big innovation would be the 9th battery below the low rider's seat. This is made possible by a hub motor integrated into the rear wheel. Aggressive regen would replace the mechanical rear brake. The fairing should be optimized for efficient cruising at 75-85mph.

2. A muscle cruiser using 7 bricks 2x2 in front 2x1behind and 1 under the low rider's seat. Again, using CCS charging, hub motor rear wheel with a super fat tire for burnouts in front of the bar. A visible beefy frame but have a cover panel for the batteries. The panel should be easily replaceable and used as a canvas for custom paint jobs. Just swap panels based on your mood for the day. You could even paint a fire breathing V-twin on it if you get nostalgic. The single most important part on this bike would be the subwoofer to mimic the rumble of a V-twin (switchable into stealth mode).

Hey, you said it's a WISH list.  ;)

Yes exactly!   I think the touring crowd agrees.  It's difficult to get this to be seen at Zero tho.  Previous marketing VP Scot Harden was a dirtbike legend, almost the entire R&D team are really good dirt bike riders and enjoy off roading in their own time.  Almost no one there rides cross country for fun, so while I want a very heavy bike to be stable on the highway, most everyone at Zero can't understand this and wants lighter and lighter and lighter.  Even the CTO owns a lightweight Zero FX instead of an SR so there isn't really anyone at Zero, except the head of R&D who is a bigger guy and also an Iron Butt member himself who might understand the benefit of a nice heavy bike for the touring market.

I have added some extra batteries and have 35 kWh of battery and about 200 miles highway range right now and it feels great!  Been to LA and back 4 times in the last 6 weeks and the 400 mile trip is so easy, you are down there so quick you can still put in a half day's work after you arrive.

The owner of Hollywood Electrics, Harlan, took my bike for a test ride the other day and was shocked how light feeling and easy to ride it was, even being twice the weight of his racebikes.  Having a heavy bike doesn't mean it has to feel heavy or be hard to handle.  I think lots of people don't understand this and are afraid of heavy bikes for no reason.  I've seen a 95 pound girl toss around a 900 pound Goldwing like a rag doll.  So for most riders averaging 150-200 pounds, an 800 pound touring Zero, with 250-300 miles range and fast charging would be perfect.

If a touring bike was done right I think it could be one of Zero's biggest sellers.  With longbricks costing about $3k today for 6.5 kWh and 80 pounds, making a touring bike to compete with an 800 pound $35k BMW K1600 GTL exclusive shouldn't be too hard from a weight or price standpoint.  With fast chargers my Zero today can go further than 99% of the current BMW K1600 owners probably ever do in a day.  The time is right to have Zero make a $25-30k touring bike, but I have a feeling until Zero hires an Iron Butt or touring rider to be part of the executive team, no one will understand the purpose as it's not something they could see themselves riding.

I would love to see Zero make an 800 pound bike with 250-300 miles highway range with a nice touring fairing and aerodynamic luggage with 500 liters of storage space total in different spots on the bike.  The heavier the better for high speed highway riding.  The heavier the bike the less the wind blows you around, and if the wheels stay about the same weight, the bike rides butter smooth as the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight increases in your favor so the bike stays steady and the suspension alone moves over bumps and bridge gaps.  A lightweight bike will leave you with a sore ass after 500 miles of highway riding and need 3 days to recover.   I'd like to see a nice strong frame that holds 6 longbricks in the belly and has a 15 inch longer wheelbase for better highway stability.  Something like 65-70 inches or so.   All we can hope is a great touring rider from the AMA Hall of Fame perhaps can join Zero in the near future and add this necessary influence otherwise I don't see who's going to push it to happen.

But at a minimum I hope they can offer a kit like the powertank that will allow adding up to 4 longbricks as panniers or front "crash bar" mounts for those who would like to do electric touring in the meantime.  For the short term however you will have to do these mods yourself or see if a company like Hollywood Electrics can develop a touring kit they can sell or perhaps even rent by the week for those who want to take a 2-3 week journey each year but otherwise don't need the range on a daily basis. 

It's going to take time for this demand to increase tho, as most of Zero's current owners are not touring riders.  Because if you already were a touring rider, you probably didn't buy a Zero.  it's the chicken and egg scenario.  But the riders won't come to Zero first and try to modify it themselves, Zero will have to build a touring bike to pull all these riders in.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:14:02 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12