• April 25, 2024, 07:26:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: What are your dreams for 2018?  (Read 14190 times)

Tony

• View Profile
Re: What are your dreams for 2018?
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2017, 03:58:53 PM »

I have a Zero DSR 2016, and this is my wishlist for a 2018 DSR, in more or less random order:

- A seat cover that is more water repellent. Todays cover tends to soak up some water when it is raining.

- Would be great with some more high tech computer onboard. Today it is pretty much mandatory to attach a smartphone to the bike in order to get navigation and other useful functions. When the rest of the bike screams advanced Batman tech, the mid-80s type of LCD display holds it back. With companies like Energica Motor and Tesla going all the way to make their electric vehicles a high tech experience, the Zero looks a bit dated.

- Longer range is always welcome, I would not mind a larger battery to achieve this. But I would never sacrifice the super handy storage compartment for it, which is the only option today.

- Faster charging in the standard bike would be great of course, however I really like that you can charge the bike through a regular wall outlet. Not sure if it is possible to tweak regular wall outlet charging like the latest generations of smartphones do with their quick charging?

- More power. Although my DSR is already very powerful, and the 2017 model even more so, I would be happy to see this stretched even further in some kind of "ludicrous" mode that tops even todays "sport" mode.

- I also vote for some of the other excellent ideas I saw on this list: Left brake that is regen only, parking brake when the parking stand is down. Not crucial in any way, but surely would add to the polish of an already excellent product.

- Some nitpicking: Faster "boot time" after turning the bike on. I am used to it now, but I almost crashed at first when I could not get any response from the engine, responding by turning the throttle to the max, then suddenly the engine kicked in and I was like woooahhh. Quite dangerous if you are not aware of this lag as a new owner. Not sure if this is already improved in the 2017 model though.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »

-- snip --
- Some nitpicking: Faster "boot time" after turning the bike on. I am used to it now, but I almost crashed at first when I could not get any response from the engine, responding by turning the throttle to the max, then suddenly the engine kicked in and I was like woooahhh. Quite dangerous if you are not aware of this lag as a new owner. Not sure if this is already improved in the 2017 model though.

Just an observation because this happened to me the first time too:  Wait till all lights and displays stop changing and the little green circle (that reminds me of an ICE bike's "neutral indicator") comes on and THEN you can go.

This really isn't very different from a modern ICE bike.  You turn the key, wait till the dash instruments run through their start-up diagnostics, and THEN you push the starter button.  In the "Good Old Days" you didn't have to do that... just turn the key and hit the button.  BUT back in those days you also had to let the engine warm up or it would stall as soon as you twisted the throttle.

In other words, there's ALWAYS something...  ;)
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2017, 06:26:18 PM »

Regarding regen, I've seen quite a few people wanting left hand brake or reverse throttle for variable regen.  Why not have variable regen associated with the right foot?  Also, my understanding is that regen can be programmed much higher than the standard "100%" - all the way up to locking the rear wheel.  Is there really a need for a rear brake at all?
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2017, 06:56:24 PM »

Regarding regen, I've seen quite a few people wanting left hand brake or reverse throttle for variable regen.  Why not have variable regen associated with the right foot?  Also, my understanding is that regen can be programmed much higher than the standard "100%" - all the way up to locking the rear wheel.  Is there really a need for a rear brake at all?
I don't think anyone would use the rear brake alone, but during emergency stops it helps a lot when used together with the front brake.

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2017, 07:05:11 PM »

-- snip --

Just an observation because this happened to me the first time too:  Wait till all lights and displays stop changing and the little green circle (that reminds me of an ICE bike's "neutral indicator") comes on and THEN you can go.

This really isn't very different from a modern ICE bike.  You turn the key, wait till the dash instruments run through their start-up diagnostics, and THEN you push the starter button.  In the "Good Old Days" you didn't have to do that... just turn the key and hit the button.  BUT back in those days you also had to let the engine warm up or it would stall as soon as you twisted the throttle.

In other words, there's ALWAYS something...  ;)

Yes, you are right. I was thinking a software modification could help too. By simply not allowing the engine to kick in unless the throttle is at rest. Anyway, not a big deal as long as the dealer passes on the wisdom to new owners to avoid newbie surprises. :)

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »

Except if a strong variable regen could REPLACE the (few) power of a true rear brake, i prefer to have this on another command lever.

Second reason is because we have an available slot on left hand, so why stack 2 different functions in one lever ?
If i have a lever that do ONLY regen, i will try to use it all the time to slow down my speed without use any brake (no consumable usage & battery regen, double gain !)
If the lever combine rear brake & regen, it's less interresting

Third reason is for track. Foot lever is not really usable all the time. but Hand lever yes ;)

I don't think anyone would use the rear brake alone, but during emergency stops it helps a lot when used together with the front brake.

There is lot of people that use only rear brake...

And for a smooth/quiet driving, it's recommended by some motorcyclist organization to use rear brake as much as possible and front brake only for strong brake/emergency brake.
They say :
"Rear brake is your friend
Front brake is your enemy"
Zero S 11k 2016

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2017, 01:25:21 AM »

The full power of what the electronics are capable of for Regen braking does not allow for ABS functionality, simply enough.

lampshade

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2017, 01:47:14 AM »

They say :
"Rear brake is your friend
Front brake is your enemy"

"They" have no idea what they are talking about.  Weight transfer means that 90% of your stopping power is in the front brake and the rear is quite easy to lock up in an emergency situation.  ABS helps but most bikes still don't come with ABS.  I only use the rear in low-traction situations like gravel.
2017 Zero SR

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2017, 01:55:51 AM »

As i said just before :
And for a smooth/quiet driving, it's recommended by some motorcyclist organization to use rear brake as much as possible and front brake only for strong brake/emergency brake.

If your ABS have to work in other situation than emergency brake, then...

But i agree that on track, it's not the same  8)

i dont have english level to continue this useless discussion. They know exactly what "they" say. (they = http://www.afdm.org/prsentation-c1uh9)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 02:01:01 AM by grandpa »
Zero S 11k 2016

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2017, 03:17:16 AM »

As i said just before :

If your ABS have to work in other situation than emergency brake, then...

But i agree that on track, it's not the same  8)

i dont have english level to continue this useless discussion. They know exactly what "they" say. (they = http://www.afdm.org/prsentation-c1uh9)

I'm sorry, but as a former MSF Instructor/RiderCoach (initially certified in 1990 and recently retired) that is the most ridiculous and potentially dangerous advice I've EVER seen.

Besides the MSF curriculum I've also taken numerous courses taught by Reg Pridmore, Keith Code and Reg's son Jason Pridmore.  For the last few years I've taken the street-riding school developed by Larry Grodsky and now run by Eric Trow.  Not ONE of those learned, accomplished motorcyclist rider educators would agree to that either.

We even had an exercise in the "Beginner's Course" that let the students see EXACTLY how much braking they got using just the rear brake before combining it with the front.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2017, 04:16:51 AM »

I have been using my front brake all of the time for the past 55 years and have never had a problem. I even use my rear brake once in a while, too.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2017, 05:12:33 AM »

The braking style on a Zero is somewhat unique because you can engage the regen braking (which is a form of rear braking) just before the front braking, all using one single lever. This does not modify the facts of braking and weight transfer, but it is important in cornering and low speed maneuverability for just those same reasons. The lesser amount of weight transfer when using rear brakes is a benefit to low speed maneuverability. Also, having a braking force from the trailing end (rear in most normal situations except parking on hills i.e.) just before applying the front brakes allows a great amount of control.

I think having a left hand rear brake set is not implying that any style of braking is better than the other. It is just an option we would like to see without having to do a lot of guesswork. Being able to set a linear Regen effect with a left hand brake is also an option but I don't think with the present electronic systems that it could safely be considered a replacement for rear brakes. Also with the present electronic systems it might not be feasible to do a linear activation of Regen braking.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2017, 06:31:25 AM »

I am not a fan of left hand brake levers because I have five other motorcycles, all of which have a clutch lever in that location, so I would likely pull the left brake lever by accident in an emergency.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2017, 07:03:09 AM »

I am not a fan of left hand brake levers because I have five other motorcycles, all of which have a clutch lever in that location, so I would likely pull the left brake lever by accident in an emergency.
I rode a Silverwing scooter for a while. You learn real fast!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2017, 10:17:17 AM »

I use a Magura left hand brake, and it is the most valuable upgrade I have done.
It makes riding off road so much easier, especially on steep descents where you can feather the rear brake.

For on road riding it's nice, but not crucial.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12