• March 29, 2024, 02:35:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another headlight option  (Read 2164 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Another headlight option
« on: May 17, 2017, 06:41:13 AM »

I've been running this H4 "bulb" for a while now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I28WNUQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I love it. For some reason it disappeared from Amazon for a while, but it's back now, so I thought I'd post it. BTW that's my review under the name Jack Abramoff (my warped sense of humor).
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Another headlight option
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 03:40:54 AM »

What is the color temperature like?  I've been interested in a brighter headlight but held off so far...

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 04:31:13 AM »

It's a bit bluish but not bad at all...nothing like some of the earlier LED lighting efforts. As you probably saw, they claim 6000k, but at this point I just think of those "specs" coming from the manufacturers as random numbers bearing little relationship to reality. At some level I kinda question the wisdom of using a single number to represent an source's output over the entire spectrum, anyhow.

But I can say for sure that I like it, and I'm fairly picky about my lighting. I'll put up with a little bit of bluish tint for sheer brightness, and that's what this bulb delivers.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 06:05:50 AM »

The "wonky low beam pattern" sounds like characteristic of the two-sided LED bulbs that I've been running with. I think the three-sided bulbs seem more robust, and I'm about to install one since I seem to be riding where deer and other small mammals are scurrying more regularly, and would rather avoid them if at all possible.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 07:10:42 AM »

Still love my Evo 8700 ... been thinking of "upgrading" it to the second gen ... but I still have two "fog lights" from jwspeaker to install on the bike so I am holding off for now.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 08:46:39 PM »

As I said in the review it's only a BIT wonky...really just an odd bright spot on the right side of the road. If you look at the picture detail, you'll see that there's an overhanging reflector, obviously an attempt at achieving good beam dispersion. It's just not quite perfect...or maybe it IS what they were going for. More light on the road, but away from oncoming drivers so it won't blind them. Either way it's just a bit weird, not a major problem.

Burton, that is a nice-looking light, and there's a lot to be said for a bulb/reflector that's designed to work together, but it's a full round housing. How much work was it to graft in?

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 09:05:30 PM »

Burton, that is a nice-looking light, and there's a lot to be said for a bulb/reflector that's designed to work together, but it's a full round housing. How much work was it to graft in?

My bike came race ready ... read without fairings / mounting brackets etc ... lol

I made a mounting bracket for the light and threw it on the front of the triple tree. I am sure they make something like this for the forks but I wanted to play around with my tig welder. Bike looks super sexy with it on there ... this was before the vetter turret was applied lol

All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 10:10:07 PM »

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 12:23:43 AM »

Dayum Burton, that is a beautiful bike. A lot more work than I intend to do, however!

Evilthor

• 2018 SR Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 11:33:44 PM »

Those metallic blue rims are the tits!
Pages: [1]