• March 29, 2024, 03:38:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Type2 plug mod  (Read 639 times)

wijnand71

• View Profile
Type2 plug mod
« on: May 16, 2017, 11:05:06 PM »

I encounter a problem when using my Dual Flatpack charger on a female cable type2 plug. My current charger has a male Type2 cable connector.
Here in the Netherlands the female cable connectors can be found on for example the FastNed stations along the highway.

When one put a standard male cable plug into a female cable plug, it won't accept it all the way. Just the phases are connected, but just. Not the CC and CP connections are connected. Also when one makes a adapter from shuco (or e.g. CEE32A) to a female type2, the male part is not accepted all the way. It works, but the contacts are not fully connected and it feels fragile like it can fall apart any moment. They can disconnect very easy.

When you cut off 10mm off the male plug, all is fine. Contacts of all phases are good and Cc and Cp are also connected. Once connected they feel much more solid and they disconnect not easy anymore.
The only drawback is that one loses the locking mechanism when in use on a chassis type2 station.

Originally:

Cuted the male part and sanded it smooth

Connected!

Charging at FastNed

Looking good :-)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:17:40 PM by wijnand71 »

Bstechnic

• View Profile
Re: Type2 plug mod
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 11:36:02 PM »

Nice info. :)

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 12:45:14 AM »

Will this happen on every charge station with an attached cable? Haven't visited any of those yet.

My guess is that this is by design, so you aren't able to connect two cables to extend them (which would also not work properly due to built in resistor code in every cable). Vehicles have short male built in, cables a long male plug, cables to vehicles expect a short male. Makes sense somehow to prohibit any misuse or wrong cabling.
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »

Will this happen on every charge station with an attached cable? Haven't visited any of those yet.

Unfortunately yes. The femal cable connector is made to connect to a chassis connecor instead of an cable connector. So it's by design like you perfectly discribe below. As long as you know what you are doing it will be fine to cut it and saves you a bulky chassis-style adapter.

Vehicles have short male built in, cables a long male plug, cables to vehicles expect a short male. Makes sense somehow to prohibit any misuse or wrong cabling.
Pages: [1]