• April 25, 2024, 09:14:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Handlebar question  (Read 1348 times)

Bstechnic

• View Profile
Handlebar question
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:56:45 PM »

Hello,
I dropped my 2017 Zero s unfortunately :'( :'( :'(
There is not so much damage after all, but the handlebar is bent. I was thinking for a higher version handlebar, is this more comfortable? what would you advise? One of a DS? Of a aftermarket?
What are the measerements off a DS handlebar?

Greetings from Belgium

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Handlebar question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 11:00:26 PM »

The basic measurements are on the unofficial manual wiki:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Handlebars

The Zero handlebars do have special notches for mounting the controls, but otherwise could be replaced easily; you'll just need to make similarly-placed notches to fit the Zero controls.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:54:14 AM »

I just finished adding 2" risers for Zero handlebars on my 2016 DSR.  I had to take apart everything to get the front brake line to reach, it's a super short cable; You will need Torx #6 for the microswitch, Security Torx #25 for the throttle body alignment pin is on top, if you remove bottom spring will pop open and you'll have to tension it ....   I was going to do a video how to do all these things but I need a better camera.  I think it would be a good topic for an instructional video.

ZEM Tahiti

• Zero Emission Motorcycles & Scooters Tahiti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:00:26 AM »

We use DS handlebar on our S/SR, with risers. We shorten the handlebar 2cm each end.
Better look and better position, of course it is a point of view..
ZEM Tahiti stands for Zero Emission Motorcycles in Tahiti. Our island size is perfect for the electric range.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 10:54:20 PM »

I just finished adding 2" risers for Zero handlebars on my 2016 DSR.  I had to take apart everything to get the front brake line to reach, it's a super short cable; You will need Torx #6 for the microswitch, Security Torx #25 for the throttle body alignment pin is on top, if you remove bottom spring will pop open and you'll have to tension it ....   I was going to do a video how to do all these things but I need a better camera.  I think it would be a good topic for an instructional video.

I'm guessing that 1" risers don't require re-routing. Does that seem right?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 11:58:40 PM »

I'm guessing that 1" risers don't require re-routing. Does that seem right?
I think give Rox Speed FX a call :)

The issue is that front brake cable goes into the ABS unit up front on my bike, so there's not much length or slack at all. I haven't disconnected any brake lines but it is definitely snug. I'd still recommend the 2" risers they're really sweet for ergonomics.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 05:48:02 AM »

Does the 2016 no longer have the big stupid loop of brake lines that sticks up in front of the gauges? I could probably put ape hangers on my 2015 FX and still have plenty of slack.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 08:26:46 AM »

Does the 2016 no longer have the big stupid loop of brake lines that sticks up in front of the gauges? I could probably put ape hangers on my 2015 FX and still have plenty of slack.
Different brake line. That "turn signal covering" loop I've relocated to behind the dash.

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 11:56:43 AM »

Two days ago I relocated the throttle a little bit (turned it) and had to retension the throttle spring. Took me nearly an hour and a half + two helping hands. It's fair to say it surely is a pain in the a**. I would have appreciated any kind of howto/tutorial.
Pages: [1]