• March 28, 2024, 09:24:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Front brake upgrade?  (Read 1232 times)

Wolfsbane

• View Profile
Front brake upgrade?
« on: May 15, 2017, 07:50:03 PM »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and most likely buying a 2017 Zero DSR this week. I currently ride a 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200s and although I really like the Zero, I noticed on my test rides that the front brake doesn't compare favorably to the stopping power of the dual caliper brembo setup to which I am accustomed. Has anyone done a front brake upgrade? If so, what components did you use? How much would it cost, roughly?

Thanks!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Front brake upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:32:57 PM »

I think everyone would benefit from knowing how to upgrade the front braking for dual disc brakes or a single disc upgrade, particularly for the pre-2015 models but let's focus on the newer models here.

The short answer might be that replacing the front forks entirely might be easier than getting another disc and set of calipers installed, but we should find out.

For reference, we know the pad fit on the existing calipers, at least:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Brake_Pad_Fit
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Wolfsbane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 01:04:16 AM »

Yeah, after looking closely at my Multistrada, I'm pretty sure getting a stopping solution I would be happy with would require changing the entire front end on the Zero - forks, wheel, rotors, and calipers. Not an inexpensive proposition I'm sure. Ideally, I'd like to use the Zero on occasional track days and the stock setup just doesn't look like it would cut it.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 01:08:58 AM »

The short answer might be that replacing the front forks entirely might be easier than getting another disc and set of calipers installed, but we should find out.

I discussed that (briefly) with Harlan when I ordered my new rear shock from him; I specifically want dual disks for my 2014 SR since the stock brake sucks beyond just a component upgrade, and I'm a heavy guy and want/need GOOD brakes. He did agree that a front end transplant would probably be easiest, but of course that does open up a can of worms....triple clamps, handlebars, etc. would all have to be replaced or re-fitted. Not a minor undertaking, but I'll probably have him do it for me at some point. A good front brake is a priority for me, and a less harsh front suspension would be very nice, too.

BTW, if anybody's curious, Harlan sourced a JRI rear shock for me that was pricey but fully adjustable and I imagine much longer-lasting than the OEM crap: http://www.jrishocks.com/shop/powersports/double-adjustable/ It came set up too stiff but a full turn of the preload adjuster ring made for a very nice ride. It's still quite firm but I'm going to ride it that way for a while in case I'm just still used to the original (soggy) ride. I would recommend at least discussing it with Harlan because he knows the spacer sizes required -- mine actually arrived with the wrong spacer and Harlan had a local machine shop fab me one at no charge.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 05:07:28 AM »

BTW, if anybody's curious, Harlan sourced a JRI rear shock for me that was pricey but fully adjustable and I imagine much longer-lasting than the OEM crap: http://www.jrishocks.com/shop/powersports/double-adjustable/ It came set up too stiff but a full turn of the preload adjuster ring made for a very nice ride. It's still quite firm but I'm going to ride it that way for a while in case I'm just still used to the original (soggy) ride. I would recommend at least discussing it with Harlan because he knows the spacer sizes required -- mine actually arrived with the wrong spacer and Harlan had a local machine shop fab me one at no charge.

Duly noted on the wiki:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#Rear_Shock

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »

Try a brake pad upgrade first if I were you!  Harlan hooked me up with a pair of EBRs and they were a noticable upgrade for me from stock.  I'm 210lbs on a 2016 DSR.  I certainly felt the stock pads were underpowered in comparison to the new set from Hollywood Electrics.  I have 100% confidence in my brakes now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

E-Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 10:22:26 AM »

I spoke with Bobby at Hollywood Electrics a while ago; I'm 230lbs, and ride very aggressively (smaller sprocket for more torque, back tire burned through at 3500miles...).

His response was what I had noticed, and read about on here also - the ABS is a little scary in that it activates too soon under hard braking... The brakes themselves - as quoted by Bobby - are able to pull stoppies on if non-abs activated... there's a workaround where you can deactivate the ABS, but that's annoying for each time you ride.

Just throwing my 2cents in. Keen to hear your so,union -  ore power modulation would be nice, but apparently the hardware itself is more than capable of full stopping power to skid or stoppie levels...

I'm on a 2016 DSR FYI...

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 10:59:32 AM »

+1 gripy pads can make a big difference

I don't think the braking power is lacking, but I'm only 158 lb

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 08:26:47 PM »

Try a brake pad upgrade first if I were you!  Harlan hooked me up with a pair of EBRs and they were a noticable upgrade for me from stock.  I'm 210lbs on a 2016 DSR.

Don't forget that the 2014s still have no-name components. I haven't ridden one of the newer bikes but I'm sure those Bosch units are light-years ahead of the cheap Chinese crap on the 2014- bikes.

It also bugs me that there's a fair amount of brake steer when using the front brake hard. A dual-disk system will eliminate that by putting equal torque on both sides of the fork.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »

+1  Dual disks just make the whole bike better.  Equal pressure on both forks, better over all stopping power, a "backup" if oil or mud and water slicks up one disk. 

I also talked to Harlan about a front end upgrade and though I'm sure it was truly a high end upgrade I couldn't see putting that much into a 13 DS.  Maybe a $600 set that was beefier but not race ready would be nice.  The 13 and 14 bikes are still strong good bikes (drive wise) but brakes and springs need help.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 12:26:25 AM »

...and though I'm sure it was truly a high end upgrade I couldn't see putting that much into a 13 DS.

That's really the quandary, isn't it? It's money you're never going to get back at resale, so the entire price has to justify itself based on the value of its performance to you. It's a hard sell. The stock brakes aren't THAT bad, they're not dangerous or unsafe, and it is also true there's some improvement to be had with a simple pad swap...you're going to have to replace those things periodically anyhow.

I'll probably just wind up doing what ElectricZen and others have suggested, throw on some better pads and live with it.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 03:05:03 AM »

+1  Dual disks just make the whole bike better.  Equal pressure on both forks, better over all stopping power, a "backup" if oil or mud and water slicks up one disk. 

I also talked to Harlan about a front end upgrade and though I'm sure it was truly a high end upgrade I couldn't see putting that much into a 13 DS.  Maybe a $600 set that was beefier but not race ready would be nice.  The 13 and 14 bikes are still strong good bikes (drive wise) but brakes and springs need help.

How much for:
1. New wheel,
2. Discs, calipers, ect
3. Fork lowers at a minimum

Any ABS compatibility issues with this upgrade.  This could be debatable because some people do not value ABS. 

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 08:05:14 PM »

Killroy contact Harlan for pricing as he told me it was still in the test stages.  Frankly I don't know if the price he talked about was just forks and clamps or a whole new front end with brakes.

guppie70

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »

One of the reasons for me not to purchase a Zero was the lack of braking power from the simple single disc system that the Zero SR comes with. If you are used to a high-end brake setup (like on my K1300s), you really need to re-calibrate when you start riding the SR.
At the price point that the SR sells at - it should at least have really solid brakes. At least: that is my opinion.
Am waiting and hoping that at one point Zero agrees and comes with a major upgrade of the bike that includes dual disk/high-end brakes. That, a full fairing and a little more range (+80-100 km) would probably make me purchase one.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »

One of the reasons for me not to purchase a Zero was the lack of braking power from the simple single disc system that the Zero SR comes with. If you are used to a high-end brake setup (like on my K1300s), you really need to re-calibrate when you start riding the SR.
At the price point that the SR sells at - it should at least have really solid brakes. At least: that is my opinion.

This often bears repeating: half the cost of a Zero is the battery. Period. You're paying for a $8-9k bike that has a special powertrain, and then you pay for a battery to get you the range.

Am waiting and hoping that at one point Zero agrees and comes with a major upgrade of the bike that includes dual disk/high-end brakes. That, a full fairing and a little more range (+80-100 km) would probably make me purchase one.

I have overheard from the mechanical engineers that they've been waiting to do this for a long time and the costs to implement this are prohibitive so they have to be careful which year they dump that money into it to pay off properly.
Pages: [1] 2