• April 26, 2024, 02:54:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: #DubJay Charging  (Read 4565 times)

Blotman

• View Profile
Re: #DubJay Charging
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »

When switching between single and double j plugs, do you need to reconfigure the connectors of the chargers, or does it just know what to do no matter how many plugs? For example if you have 6.6 kw Diginow kit, how would it work if you plugged into a single 6.6 kw station and later pulled into a station with two available 3.3 kw plugs?
'13 Zero S ZF12.5, '15 Zero SR ZF12.5

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »

When switching between single and double j plugs, do you need to reconfigure the connectors of the chargers, or does it just know what to do no matter how many plugs? For example if you have 6.6 kw Diginow kit, how would it work if you plugged into a single 6.6 kw station and later pulled into a station with two available 3.3 kw plugs?
In my case, one J inlet is routed to 6.6 kW unit and second inlet is routed to 3.3 kW unit + 110V outlet for onboard. The following options are available to you:
  • Use onboard 1.3 kW by connecting onboard directly to 110V
  • Use 3.3 kW unit by connecting just that unit to 110V
  • Use 3.3 kW unit by connecting just that unit to J1772
  • Use 4.6 kW (3.3 + onboard) by connecting to J1772
  • Use 6.6 kW by connecting to J1772
  • Use 9.9 kW by connecting to 2 J1772 but not plugging onboard
  • Use 12.2 kW by connecting to 2 J1772 and plugging in onboard

No need to switch any connectors, just pick and choose which J inlet you want to use.

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 01:11:57 PM »

While I completely agree that the diginow chargers are the most prefereable and best solution, and I really long to have them, I simply cannot spend another 3-5k on chargers. :(

If the prices were lower, I would not even consider a different solution, but with these high prices, it is like "Yes, I'd love a Ferrari, but the Nissan must suffice." ;)

The stock delta q accessory chargers are 12 pounds, do 1000 watts and are $600.  The new DigiNow superchargers are 7 pounds, do 3300 watts and are less than 3 delta Q's! And if you get a second (don't need the control module for a 2nd unit) its less than 2 delta Q's.  So for better technology that is smaller and lighter you would expect to pay more per watt right? With the supercharger you actually pay less per watt AND get something smaller lighter and still waterproof and durable.  Wouldn't you say that's pretty cheap as far as charging goes?

Well Terry, I agree thar the diginow chargers are by far preferable to the delta Qs. But that has not been your original post. You compared it to self-built solutions (e.g. not waterproof). But these solutions are much cheaper. I am building a self-build solution with 4.9 kW for less then 700$.

Don't get me wrong. I love the diginow charger and I am extremely happy that there is such a solution. I am just saying it may not be the perfect solution to everybody. As you specifically discussed the self-built solutions, I just wanted to make clear that there might be perfect valid reasons to go for a self-built one. In my case, I will probably only use it 5 to max 10 times in the year, and this always only with perfect wheather conditions.

tamjam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 08:53:19 PM »

Not a photo but a video of my setup:

So cool! I can just keep watching that over...and over...and over...
2016 DSR

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 09:47:57 PM »

In my case, I will probably only use it 5 to max 10 times in the year, and this always only with perfect wheather conditions.

Gotcha and I understand.  For maybe 5 times a year and only when there are perfectly clear weather conditions with a 0% chance of rain you should be fine, just be very careful and always keep it in a large ziplock plastic bag when not in use if it will not be stored in a humidity controlled environment.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Blotman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 09:48:37 PM »

In my case, one J inlet is routed to 6.6 kW unit and second inlet is routed to 3.3 kW unit + 110V outlet for onboard. The following options are available to you:

No need to switch any connectors, just pick and choose which J inlet you want to use.

Thanks for that info. It answers a bit of my question. I'm curious to know if it would work to configure the 6.6 unit to take in two j plugs in case a station only has plugs running at under 20 amps each. Or do these stations not typically go that low?
'13 Zero S ZF12.5, '15 Zero SR ZF12.5

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 10:11:25 PM »

The solar powered stations at the local Cabrillo college are set and listed as 3.3 kW max, but out of about 2000 stations 99% of them do over 6 kW.  But I refuse to use a Blink station ever again after my experience with them back in 2012.  I would say 99% of blink stations either don't work at all, melt your connector at 5 kW and plastic weld their plug to your socket, randomly shut off without warning or work but have a broken screen and you have to start by knowing where to press on the illegible broken glass. 

They might be better now but I always use ChargePoint first unless there isn't a ChargePoint available.  Also on our Zero bikes, you can walk away, go get lunch, and the ChargePoint app will update every 300 seconds to let you know your charging power and total energy added.  You can see the taper charge beginning remotely and time it to arrive back at the bike within a minute of the time it reaches 100%.  If there are no ChargePoint stations I use plugshare.  I used to use plugshare when I first started and almost every beginner will use plugshare for a couple years first until they see the benefits of the ChargePoint app.  You can also use the ChargePoint app to start the station from your phone, and also use the map to see locations with multiple Jplugs and for many who are #DubJay charging will come in handy.  Maybe one day plugshare will do this but until then I recommend everyone try the ChargePoint app and see for yourself.  Being able to see your charging metrics while eating 1/2 mile away is priceless!!
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 10:12:25 PM »

I will relate that the first time I did this in the center of King City (I think it was), with SCv1 and an Elcon 2500, a guy in a big pickup truck swung by and shouted "Dude! That is bad ass! What are you doing?" which was pretty satisfying.

And then I tripped a breaker because I forgot to pull my J-plugs from different stands! Common rookie mistake; live and learn.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 01:12:57 AM »

Nice list!

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 08:49:24 PM »

yes true nice list indeed!  Where are the pictures guys? Come on, I know your phones have cameras.  Email your #dubjay pictures to yourself so you can post from your computer if you are having trouble attaching from tapatalk on your phone

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 10:07:26 PM »

Something I've been wondering for a little bit, how do you activate more than one charger with at least Chargepoint? When I've been charging, I don't see an option to activate another charger. I only see the ability to stop the one I'm currently using.

Do you have more cards and Chargepoint accounts? Or have I just not looked in the right spot to activate multiple chargers?

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 10:10:57 PM »

Multiple cards :)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 11:06:27 PM »

...how do you activate more than one charger with at least Chargepoint? When I've been charging, I don't see an option to activate another charger. I only see the ability to stop the one I'm currently using...
There's a non-obvious way to do this using the Android app only, where you can get past the default to view your progress for an existing session at a location and select a specific sttation - activating additional stations from the app does not stop existing sessions.

The easy way with one ChargePoint card and an app is to activate the first session with the app, and the second session with the card, in that order.

Having multiple cards works well on the occasional station that the app cannot communicate with the stations, or no cellular service for example. There's a small cost per additional card and you can order multiples.

Last resort you can call ChargePoint and ask them to help start the new session.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 11:58:44 PM »

If you plug a 3.3 kW unit into 110V doesn't it cut back to something like 1.8 kW?

With a J1772 to three way adaptor you can also get
  • Use 7.9 kW by connecting to J1772 and using J1772 to three way adaptor to plug in onboard

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:01:15 AM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2017, 06:02:17 AM »

...how do you activate more than one charger with at least Chargepoint? When I've been charging, I don't see an option to activate another charger. I only see the ability to stop the one I'm currently using...
There's a non-obvious way to do this using the Android app only, where you can get past the default to view your progress for an existing session at a location and select a specific sttation - activating additional stations from the app does not stop existing sessions.

The easy way with one ChargePoint card and an app is to activate the first session with the app, and the second session with the card, in that order.

Having multiple cards works well on the occasional station that the app cannot communicate with the stations, or no cellular service for example. There's a small cost per additional card and you can order multiples.

Last resort you can call ChargePoint and ask them to help start the new session.

Ah thanks guys for the answers! I'll try this start with the app and then the card once I have my 6.6kW charger and can use onboard and the SCv2. If I have issues then I'll just suck it up and buy an additional card for the whole $5.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5