• April 27, 2024, 09:14:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Weather / Rain Cover for DS?  (Read 917 times)

Jorg

• Zero DS 2017
    • View Profile
Weather / Rain Cover for DS?
« on: May 14, 2017, 08:36:44 PM »

Hey folks! I'm currently in the process of ordering a DS 2017.

Living in northern Europe (Norway) and without a garage, I am going to need some covering. Does anyone have any good tips for a high quality cover that can protect the bike from rain and shine?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Weather / Rain Cover for DS?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 09:52:44 PM »

The Zero S/DS are mid-sized bikes so a lot of common covers will work.

BUT the battery will not operate well when it freezes, and too low a temperature may degrade the battery over time:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/owner-resources/Cold-and-Hot-Weather-Operation.pdf

Without understanding further details of your situation, I'd advise you not to buy a DS or to find a place to store it over the winter where it will not drop too far below freezing. You could even bring it inside your house since it won't drip oil or give off gasoline vapors, if it fits.

It is the case that the operation of the charger will keep the battery temperature warmer than ambient, but it doesn't provide that much heating.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 11:36:20 PM »

Another option are folding garages that don't take up much space and start from around 200€ here in Germany.  This won't stop the temperature from going below freezing but in combination with a VCI (?) garage (35€) you should be able to store it for winter. I don't have a garage either and move frequently, so I bought a premium cover (test champion in the motorcycle press here) for roughly 100€ that is able to protect it from anything but temperature drops.

Jorg

• Zero DS 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 11:42:13 PM »

Thanks for the helpful advice. Winter storage is not a problem. I've got a friend who has excellent storage space and access to power.

The issue is more rain, bird poop, leaves, debris and the occasional sketchy albatross (with or without flavour).

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 11:54:55 PM »

I leave my 2016 DSR outside year-round in N Lake Tahoe CA USA, winter freezing temperatures and all. The cover I have is a Dowco Guardian Hi-Viz in size Large. The size Large fits well on my bike, a 2016 Zero DSR with Zero accessories:
Touring Windscreen
Drop bars
Top Rack

Also my bike has a Givi V47 Hi-Viz top case on a universal bracket which sits slightly wider than the Zero accessory top case and bracket.

I wrote to Dowco Powersports for fitment help prior to purchase and they replied quickly with well reasoned fitment advice. The cover is durable and is in good condition after having a few feet of snow and ice on it for much of the winter.

When wintering your DS outside in freeziing temperatures I would say do as the manual suggests, keep your bike on the charger.

*edit* The size medium should fit a naked Zero or i.e. an FX.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 11:58:37 PM by Shadow »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 12:25:22 AM »

Thanks! I made a stub wiki entry summarizing these:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#Motorcycle_Covers