• April 27, 2024, 01:42:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The under 100 mile club!  (Read 3487 times)

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
Re: The under 100 mile club!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »

Us daily commuters have some respectfully high odometers.

I think these are the Zero's most impacting emissions and paying for themselves.

All it takes to get out of this club is a ride in the morning, a Level 1 plug in all day and another ride in the evening. But commutes don't work that way.

Even with quick chargers, I don't have such chances for hours of joy rides.... Yet.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 06:28:29 PM »

Us daily commuters have some respectfully high odometers.

I think these are the Zero's most impacting emissions and paying for themselves.

All it takes to get out of this club is a ride in the morning, a Level 1 plug in all day and another ride in the evening. But commutes don't work that way.

Even with quick chargers, I don't have such chances for hours of joy rides.... Yet.

I hear you. I used to work 2 jobs 7 days a week in my 20's too.  Hopefully one day soon your boss will give you at least one weekend a month off so you can take some epic rides on your Zero into the mountains somewhere.  If not in the next few months hopefully later this year. Working everyday isn't good in the long run.  Tell your boss you will come back more productive than ever if you can take a 2000 mile weekend road trip on your Zero and feel mentally refreshed!  Throttle therapy!! ;)
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 07:09:12 PM »

So for the last 10 years I can understand how it is challenging to get out of this club.
I think part of the reason for this (not particularly serious) thread is that some of us don't really have a need to get out of this club. A FXS without any quick charging is doing everything I need of a bike right now. That may change and it's good to know options are out there, but I'm happy.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 08:00:50 PM »

I think part of the reason for this (not particularly serious) thread is that some of us don't really have a need to get out of this club.

Damn straight! I couldn't be more proud of my bike and what it has achieved. I haven't had the opportunity to do any long rides yet, but I will when I'm able. I'm looking forward to a long, busy summer.

But in the meantime, I have no desire to "break out". I bought my bike (mostly) to push the technology ahead, which means using it the way it'll have the most meaning to the largest number of people. Very few people want to go on Iron Butt rides, but just about everybody has daily commuting/local transportation needs. Everyone I know has had at least one earful of just how great my bike is in that role.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 09:36:13 PM »

Exactly.  In a little over a year I've logged over 10,000 miles on my S.  Those are miles that would've been logged on my other two bikes because the majority of my riding is commuting/local riding.  However, when I headed down to Daytona Beach this past March, the question of how I might be able to do that on the Zero never ONCE entered my mind.  I loaded up the K1200LT without a second thought.

I've been using my C650GT over the winter on days when it really was too cold to use the Zero.  I don't have a battery pack heater and I wouldn't have a place to plug it in at the office either (I don't even have a place at the office to plug in the Zero so I had to have a bike that could do the entire round trip on a single charge with enough spare capacity for incidental riding at lunch or after work).  The C650GT has the convenience of clutchless riding in traffic, but it also has better wind protection, heated seats, heated grips and enough electrical capacity to power a heated vest or jacket to boot.

Just have to use the proper tool for the job, that's all.  On an average year, I log about 18,000 miles on two wheels.  The Zero is now accounting for more than half of that, PLUS it saves wear & tear (and maintenance costs) on the two ICE bikes while costing little to maintain by itself.  Win-win!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »

Never gone a 100 miles in a day.
I've never ridden my Zero outside home state of Wisconsin.
I've never been below 17% SOC

Still Lovin' It 20,000 miles later

This was my club.  Until supercharging.  : - )
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:17:01 AM by togo »
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 02:04:43 PM »

I'm lucky enough to have a 5-minute FX commute, 10 minutes to the gym, 2 minutes to the grocery store, etc. Typically I would return home with 80-90% charge. So I removed the front battery and swap it out with the rear each Sunday. Now this thing is a freaking joy at only 250lb and zips up and down stairs. I have to jump 14 speed humps per day -- poor me!

The furthest I've pushed it was 58 miles from Mtn. View to Los Gatos and up Black to Skyline to see the mudslide in the pouring rain. I wanted to hit 60.0, so I started looping around the neighborhood. It stopped at 59.2 / 7% charge, and I pushed it home 3 blocks. Very memorable day indeed.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 06:50:02 AM »

I do not remember the last time I got on the bike and did less than 100 miles in a day.  :o

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 10:10:42 AM »

My son has not done over 100 miles in a day.
He has ridden his bike in two states.

He learned and licensed on my Zero S, then bought his own SR.

Has never driven a ICE motorcycle.

His SR passed 10,000 miles today.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 05:11:21 PM »

Just this week I started commuting with my DSR.  I have a 100 mile round trip to work.  I have Level-2 charging available, but I am using the external 120 plug near the parking lot to save the spaces on the Level-2 spots for cars.  I am riding all back roads averaging around 45MPH.  This week I've been arriving at work at 52% SOC and it takes about 6 hours to top that off back to 100%.  I guess it must be downhill to home, because I have been getting home at 60-62% SOC (probably more regen, slower traffic as well).

So before this week, I was in the < 100 mile club, but now I am in the >100 < 250 club.   I've ridden my Zero in three states (MA, NH, ME), I cover two states in my commute.  My ODO is only at 4400 miles, but it will be climbing fast now!

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 06:46:08 PM »

I wish my company had an outside 120V outlet.  We have plenty of outlets inside the warehouse because the forklifts are all electric.  I wonder who I could talk to about bringing the bike inside and getting a charge during the day...

But then I'd be worried something STUPID would happen and I think I'm better off leaving it outside.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 08:07:07 PM »

I wish my company had an outside 120V outlet.  We have plenty of outlets inside the warehouse because the forklifts are all electric.  I wonder who I could talk to about bringing the bike inside and getting a charge during the day...

But then I'd be worried something STUPID would happen and I think I'm better off leaving it outside.

When I was working and commuting on my Electric Motorsport GPR-S I charged up at work.  All you need is a long enough extension cord.   ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 09:05:46 PM »

But our windows don't open!  Lucky for me, we recently installed an outside outlet for some equipment tests we run in the parking lot.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »

Rolltop door by the forklift area maybe?  I've done that.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2017, 06:30:52 PM »

Rolltop door by the forklift area maybe?  I've done that.

That's actually the site I've been eye-balling.  Unfortunately it also looks like there is a LOT of activity around that area (as you'd expect).  I need to find out who I'd have to talk to...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4