• April 26, 2024, 11:06:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Harley-Davidson confirms electric motorcycle  (Read 694 times)

Ashveratu

• View Profile
Harley-Davidson confirms electric motorcycle
« on: May 11, 2017, 04:23:43 PM »

Stumbled across this article while making the rounds on the EV news sites

http://insideevs.com/harley-davidson-confirms-electric-motorcycles-part-of-the-company-future/

They don't give any real details, but it does give some hope for the future.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Harley-Davidson confirms electric motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 08:46:34 PM »

Autoblog picked up the story.  It is really hard for me to believe that H-D plans 100 new electric motorcycle models within the next 10 years. This sure feels like fake news to me.  Maybe H-D is just trying to cause their loyal legacy customers to go nuts and to run out and buy the new Milwaukee 8 before it turns electric.   ::)
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/11/harley-davidson-confirms-electric-motorcycle-100-new-models/
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 09:03:31 PM »

I can believe it. There was a time not so long ago that Harley hadn't updated ANYTHING for years, including their...let's just say "venerable"...engine design (between the panhead and the shovelhead, there was only one update in 36 years), and their sales were slipping pretty badly. They had to get some government assistance to keep from going under, but they pulled back from the brink, created the "evolution" version of the big twin engine, sales picked up substantially and have been going great since then. They've been much better about not letting their offering go stale since that time, with frequent model refreshes a lot fewer years between major engine updates. They just came out with the "Milwaukee-eight" iteration, and it does seem like they're committed to keeping their lineup very fresh, including this newfangled 'lectric stuff.

Good for them. Like I think most of us motorcyclists, I've always had a soft spot for Harley, and wish them nothing but the best. As long as they don't try to steal Zero's business, of course.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:57:36 PM »

100 new bikes in 10 years ... electric is ONE of them ... doesn't give date for release.

Translation: We will see ONE electric bike from HD in ten years :D
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:33:20 PM »

This is the same info released 5 years ago... as part of their 5 year plan before R&D... sooo  right on schedule?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 04:29:31 AM »

All very confusing.  Either way, I won't believe it until I see it.  I really can't imagine that either H-D dealers or their customers would know what to do with 100 new models - unless these models are just different paint jobs like they have been doing over the past 20 years.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 08:13:15 PM »

All very confusing.  Either way, I won't believe it until I see it.  I really can't imagine that either H-D dealers or their customers would know what to do with 100 new models - unless these models are just different paint jobs like they have been doing over the past 20 years.  ::)

the far majority of the models will be "special editions" with paint and accessories.
As they transition towards the Milwaukee 88 engine, there will be "double" models where you can get the old motor or the new motor.

Thats how they get 100 new models.

However I feel like any electric Harley will be treated worse than Buell was from most dealers. 

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 08:28:23 PM »

the far majority of the models will be "special editions" with paint and accessories.
As they transition towards the Milwaukee 88 engine, there will be "double" models where you can get the old motor or the new motor.

Thats how they get 100 new models.

However I feel like any electric Harley will be treated worse than Buell was from most dealers.

Sound about right to me.  ::)  The Motor Company never changes.  It just slowly evolves - as its "base" just as slowly either dies off or switches to trikes and Spyders.  ;)

Pages: [1]