• April 25, 2024, 11:42:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: My DC - DC converter has died again, local dealer has gone bust (now fixed)  (Read 4747 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: My DC - DC converter has died again, local dealer has gone bust
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2017, 08:34:16 PM »

Well I've noticed at least one non-additive pin position discrepancy between years so far but I'm lacking a broad survey and debugging regime to check on the details fully. Oh, and I lack the spare time...

It had not really occurred to me that someone would find changing the connectors motivating in the slightest, but now I have a reason to look. It sounds like the development and servicing of the MBB costs way more than it ought to.

This just sounds shortsighted, where yearly ad hoc patches are the only thing that ship instead of needed qualitative upgrades. I will (without any direct information) speculate that a proper MBB revamp has been in the works for a while but is held up by interlocking systems dependencies that are stalled around it. Or maybe just management can't deal with it in any given quarter and it keeps getting punted.

The bike is overdue for some more resilient systems design, just to cut Zero's costs fixing your bike and others, but also to improve their reputation. "Customer success" starts in engineering planning meetings...
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2017, 06:35:16 AM »

A side note, to my fellow Aussie Zero owners, with no dealer support, and a phone call to USA customer support, I was able to get my bike diagnosed, replacement parts, and back on the road, so all is not lost for Zero owners.

Although I think Zero could make it a lot easier by setting up a remote support system along with the dealer network. I am thinking a web site to directly order parts from the US and a choice of freighting methods - slow and cheap, expensive and fast. So if I want to order a spare belt then slow and cheap, but if my belt breaks (with no spare) then expensive and fast.

Also an online chat portal with an engineer could really speed things up.

A bundle of software and cables to allow the engineer to remote configure etc your bike.

Mechanical stuff like brakes and tires could be done by any bike shop if you don't want, or can't do it your self.

I remember an Italian dirt bike (years ago) selling in Australia with the message that spares were ordered from the Italian factory and guaranteed to be delivered anywhere in the world within 5 days.  If Zero could do the same, that would work for me. 

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2017, 02:55:34 AM »

A side note, to my fellow Aussie Zero owners, with no dealer support, and a phone call to USA customer support, I was able to get my bike diagnosed, replacement parts, and back on the road, so all is not lost for Zero owners.

Although I think Zero could make it a lot easier by setting up a remote support system along with the dealer network. I am thinking a web site to directly order parts from the US and a choice of freighting methods - slow and cheap, expensive and fast. So if I want to order a spare belt then slow and cheap, but if my belt breaks (with no spare) then expensive and fast.

Also an online chat portal with an engineer could really speed things up.

A bundle of software and cables to allow the engineer to remote configure etc your bike.

Mechanical stuff like brakes and tires could be done by any bike shop if you don't want, or can't do it your self.

I remember an Italian dirt bike (years ago) selling in Australia with the message that spares were ordered from the Italian factory and guaranteed to be delivered anywhere in the world within 5 days.  If Zero could do the same, that would work for me.
Great to know - thanks for the update
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]