• April 25, 2024, 05:06:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: GPS - how to connect to power on the Zero?  (Read 1271 times)

cep55

• View Profile
GPS - how to connect to power on the Zero?
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »

Hi all,

I'm new to electric bikes (just got my '17 SR, and love it so far), and I'm wondering how to wire my GPS (Garmin Zumo) up to power on the Zero. On my ICE bikes, I just used ring terminals and connected the leads to the battery... but I'm not sure how best to connect it to the Zero.

If anyone has any suggestions, I really appreciate it! (And I appreciate detail as far as connectors and the like...)

Thanks very much!

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: GPS - how to connect to power on the Zero?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »

There is a DC-DC converter on the bike that supplies 12V for the lightning etc, you can hook it up on that.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 11:44:42 AM »

If you just need power with key-on, you can remove the cowl plastics and dig out the SAE 12Vdc connector. There's a Sumitomo 12Vdc and SAE 12Vdc connector. The Sumitomo mates with the 12Vdc automotive accessory option (aka cigarette lighter power socket) available from Zero Motorcycles. The SAE connector is often used for heated accessories.

If you need always-on power then there's a way to tap from the doghouse where the DC-DC converter gets an always-on power connection. That procedure is slightly more advanced and not recommended unless you really know what you are doing around high power electronics.

Decent pictures and details of the former:  http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#Accessory_Power

cep55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:52:05 PM »

Thank you both! I'm going to go with the SAE connection, that should accomplish exactly what I need.

Appreciate the help.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 04:36:20 AM »

I added the "cigarette lighter" socket to my bike, comes with a rubber cap to seal it when not in use. I run my phone GPS from it, works great.
I plug a USB converter into the socket to run the phone, I have a 3D printer so I made up a waterproof cover to go over the socket with the USB converter and cable in it.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 08:17:07 PM »

Thank you both! I'm going to go with the SAE connection, that should accomplish exactly what I need.

Appreciate the help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sae+usb&tbm=isch

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: [1]