• April 26, 2024, 06:57:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MotoGP announces electric motorcycle racing for 2019  (Read 1293 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: MotoGP announces electric motorcycle racing for 2019
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »

Too bad the races are always very short...

They could have pit stops with replaceable batteries for extended races.
Indeed. FIM had that idea, but since there were only bikes racing at that time, the race series died. Maybe with Dorna's deep pockets things will pick up. eFormula have a car swap towards the middle of the race, so why not have a bike swap?
Swapping bikes is a good intermediate solution for now, and the cost? Believe me, for a travelling racing team an extra bike isn't that big of a portion of the cost.

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 01:16:34 AM »

The main problem with all motorsports racing is that the fans really like to hear all of the noise (and of course watch the crashes) during the race.  But will they be as excited just watching electric vehicles racing without all of the related noise?  That is going to determine if the series is successful or not. Right now I am not so sure if quiet racing will attract fans.  Can you imagine NASCAR racing without the noise - and beer, of course. ???

Why not have Electric vs Gas races with equivalent HP and TQ ratings?  When electric starts winning all the races due to improving tech, it will prove the dominant configuration.  Then those who want to watch racing just for the noise, can watch the slower ICE racers and enjoy the exhaust vibrations to their hearts content.  Besides, a bunch of electric motors going by sounds cool in its own way, like a bunch of Tie fighters. 

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 01:27:47 AM »

They could have pit stops with replaceable batteries for extended races.

I've always thought the same thing. The ICE bikes have to stop to refuel, why shouldn't the electrics?

Do they?  Other than endurance racing, ICE bikes do NOT stop to refuel.  They are all allotted the same amount of fuel at the start of the race and it is up to the engineers and the riders to manage that fuel to the end of the race.  There is no refueling pit stops in World Superbikes, MotoGP, Supersport, Moto2, Moto3 or Superstock racing.

The only motorcycle races that have pit stops are the endurance races like the Daytona 200, the Suzuka 8-hour, etc.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 01:32:11 AM »

In their recent announcement of "100 new models in the next 10 years", Harley mentioned something about the sound of an electric bike, and of course Harley knows very well how much its riders love noise. It was a short quote, hard to figure out exactly what was meant, but I got the impression they were intrigued by the sound of an electric bike and wanted to go with it and see what they could do with it.

It's an interesting thought. I've had people say the characteristic whine of my bike is a little bit like a jet, and I have to admit it's not a bad sound, very high-tech. I don't know exactly what causes it (just the magnets and stator pushing and pulling on the each other perhaps?), but it it could be emphasized instead of focusing on noise reduction, that might not be such a bad thing. There's even an electrical crackling sound I'd swear was associated with brushes arcing if I didn't know better. I love the nearly silent operation of my bike, but I can see the opposite argument. Even to me, a drag race wouldn't be half the spectacle it is without the violent and nearly explosive sound of nitro-burning engines launching.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.
Pages: 1 [2]