• March 29, 2024, 12:07:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Email From Zero: Updated Firmware and Charging Recommendations  (Read 17959 times)

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: Email From Zero: Updated Firmware and Charging Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 07:32:58 AM »

As I have said before, my 2014 S is running and charging perfectly. The battery modules are in balance and within 2-3 mV. I can still travel as far on a charge as when the bike was new, over 3 years ago. So I can't think of any reason why I would want my firmware updated.  ??? Why take a chance on something going wrong with the download, or that firmware updates that were designed for the newer models might clash with my 2014 model?

To me yearly visits to a Zero dealer seems like a method of tossing some after-sales business to dealers who are not getting much action for the "backroom" from EV technology after the bike is sold to the customer.  I know that BMW dealers make a lot more profit from regular 6K servicing than they ever make from the initial sale. And that service just gets more and more expensive.  Right now servicing their latest models at a BMW shop (which includes checking for, and possibly installing, revised firmware downloads) can easily run between $600 to $800 each visit.  Not needing to visit a Zero dealer saves me a lot of money.  Although I might feel differently if my local dealer hadn't gone out of business.   :(

Considering that the 2017 models added the ability to do firmware updates using the phone app I don't think their recommendation is aimed at throwing coin at the dealers.  The way I see it, giving you the information about what's included in an update at least gives you the knowledge to weigh the risks of doing the update vs. not doing the update.  If you decide not to do the update at least it's an informed decision instead of just a fear of the unknown.
2014 Zero S

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »

As I have said before, my 2014 S is running and charging perfectly. The battery modules are in balance and within 2-3 mV. I can still travel as far on a charge as when the bike was new, over 3 years ago. So I can't think of any reason why I would want my firmware updated.  ??? Why take a chance on something going wrong with the download, or that firmware updates that were designed for the newer models might clash with my 2014 model?

To me yearly visits to a Zero dealer seems like a method of tossing some after-sales business to dealers who are not getting much action for the "backroom" from EV technology after the bike is sold to the customer.  I know that BMW dealers make a lot more profit from regular 6K servicing than they ever make from the initial sale. And that service just gets more and more expensive.  Right now servicing their latest models at a BMW shop (which includes checking for, and possibly installing, revised firmware downloads) can easily run between $600 to $800 each visit.  Not needing to visit a Zero dealer saves me a lot of money.  Although I might feel differently if my local dealer hadn't gone out of business.   :(

Agreed...especially since the closest dealer to where I live is 1,100 km's (700 miles) away.
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 07:45:50 PM »

$600 to $800 ?? Seems way excessive. I had my 2016 SR serviced (4K miles) at San Jose BMW three weeks ago; just over $300, which included a new front tire!
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 08:34:56 PM »

$600 to $800 ?? Seems way excessive. I had my 2016 SR serviced (4K miles) at San Jose BMW three weeks ago; just over $300, which included a new front tire!

Those prices are for servicing an IC BMW, not a Zero. No doubt servicing a Zero will always be less than servicing an IC motorcycle. One problem that my closest Zero dealer has is that they are so busy fixing crashed bikes, that they hardly have any time or space to provide normal walk-in servicing.  The fact that they are also a franchised dealer for something like 6 brands doesn't help much, either. $300 for servicing and the replacement of a front tire seems pretty reasonable to me.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 06:10:17 AM »

Those prices are for servicing an IC BMW, not a Zero. No doubt servicing a Zero will always be less than servicing an IC motorcycle. One problem that my closest Zero dealer has is that they are so busy fixing crashed bikes, that they hardly have any time or space to provide normal walk-in servicing.  The fact that they are also a franchised dealer for something like 6 brands doesn't help much, either. $300 for servicing and the replacement of a front tire seems pretty reasonable to me.
Thanks for the clarification. When I picked up my bike, a guy at San Jose BMW did mention how much more expensive service was for ICE. Another shop near me (40Miles), Contra Costa Powersports, has a walk-in clinic, where you get "first come, first served" service. Not sure if this is every week or every month. Anyway, IMO it's a great idea -- if you need to get something fixed, and don't want to wait days or weeks for an appointment. OTOH, the one time I did the walk in it was packed! Took around six hours before they got to my bike. Fort. there was a Starbucks nearby with wifi.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Pat Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 07:04:19 AM »

Question, I have a 2016 SR that I purchased in November 2016. How do I find out if there is an update for my bike? Does Zero send out an email?

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 07:27:19 AM »

Question, I have a 2016 SR that I purchased in November 2016. How do I find out if there is an update for my bike? Does Zero send out an email?

Not to the owners, no.  If they're like every other motorcycle manufacturer, though, the dealer does get updated technical bulletins.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 06:25:22 PM »

Concerning Domingo’s comment regarding recommended, (not recalls) firmware updates - ‘There should be no charge.” I just checked with 2 dealers in California. Both said ‘yes’ to: There would be a $$ charge. This seems correct to me as they need to cover their overhead.

Question - Should the firmware update be accomplished? Is it highly advisable or just a suggestion?
Question - If an owner did have their bike updated (not a recall) in the past, was there a noticeable difference in performance?

Thought - The latest firmware update is a good idea as anything to extend the life of the battery is a wise choice.

The dealers I checked with were: [1] Revolution Moto in Santa Rosa, and [2] San Jose BMW.

Concerning ‘Revolution Moto’, they are a fairly new Zero dealership. I asked if they had fast charging there - answer = ‘no’. Question - If I dropped by, would I be allowed to charge with the bikes on-board charger - answer = ‘Yes’.

I've read of quite a few people that paid for firmware updates.  If you believe Todd Anderson, Vice President of Global Sales, Marketing and After-Sales at Zero Motorcycles, "Zero covers firmware updates under warranty. If a dealer asks you to pay, make sure they're aware that Zero will reimburse them through our warranty system." 

2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »

I've read of quite a few people that paid for firmware updates.  If you believe Todd Anderson, Vice President of Global Sales, Marketing and After-Sales at Zero Motorcycles, "Zero covers firmware updates under warranty. If a dealer asks you to pay, make sure they're aware that Zero will reimburse them through our warranty system." 

domingo3 - Thanks for your input. Your comment is quite fascinating.

Businesses - As things change from time-to-time, a call to Zero first thing tomorrow morning is in order to ask if Todd Anderson’s position still stands.

Maybe others will also call and post Zero’s answer.

The earliest I can post is around 1700 PDT (UTC -7).

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »

To all concerning firmware updates:

Great news.

domingo3 - The info you previous provided is spot on.
Thanks for providing the info as I did not know.
I wonder how many others are unaware of the no charge ($$) policy.

-----
I decided to drop Zero an e-mail just after posting earlier today.

Zero’s response from Mike was:
“That is correct, firmware update is at no charge.  If there is any confusion, please have your dealer contact their service representative.”
-----
-to my e-mail of-
-----
To: Zero Motorcycles <inquiries@zeromotorcycles.com>
Subject: Firmware updates question
Firmware 'recommended' updates question:

My 2014 SR has never been updated (VIN [removed]).
Is there 'no' charge ($$) for me if a dealership performs a "recommended" firmware update regardless of the geographic area (e.g. U.S., France, Australia etc)????
Thanks, [removed]
-----

About Zero’s customer service - It was Excellent. I asked on a Sunday and received an answer the very same day - Note: As Zero is closed on Sundays, I never expected a reply today.

It seems that both dealerships I contacted the other day about firmware updates were incorrect about charging the customer for a ‘recommended’ firmware update.

Maybe Zero should remind all of their dealers of Zero’s current policy regarding firmware updates.

Come Tuesday, when both dealerships I contacted in the Bay Area are open again [on Tuesday], I will call both and ask again if there’s a charge ($$). It will be quite interesting if they stick to their original answer.
The dealerships were: San Jose BMW and Revolution Moto (Santa Rosa).

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 05:14:46 AM »

New firmware came out Friday, I am told.  That would be May 6.
I'm to try it ASAP to see if it solves my onboard charging problem,
provides more info about it.

Some of you may know that on the way to have my SCv2 installed,
I ran out of juice at 82 miles, had to be towed a couple of miles, and
since then, any charging that uses the signal to start charging fails.  So I'm
currently in the position of carrying around an onboard charger, which
can't be made to work, my elcon 2500, which can't be made to work,
and my SCv2, which works great as long as the signal line is unplugged
and the key is on.

So, yeah, attended charging, generally.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 08:49:26 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/WiOn-50055-Indoor-Monitor-Wireless/dp/B00ZYLUBJU

I'm considering picking up this wireless power switch.  Its got a free app (hopeful not bloatware) that allows remote control of the outlet switch.  I'm hoping it has an auto off switch if the power draw drops to nil.  Otherwise I could just set the timer for 8 hours to make sure the bike charges and then auto shuts off so I don't have to remember to pull the stupid plug at night.  I'm really surprised with all the tech that goes into the Zero, that they didn't integrate an auto disconnect in the BMS or onboard charger.  Hell, my Dell laptop has battery life management software that automatically charges/discharges the battery after it gets to down to 90% and back up to 100%.

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/WiOn-50055-Indoor-Monitor-Wireless/dp/B00ZYLUBJU

I'm considering picking up this wireless power switch.  Its got a free app (hopeful not bloatware) that allows remote control of the outlet switch.  I'm hoping it has an auto off switch if the power draw drops to nil.  Otherwise I could just set the timer for 8 hours to make sure the bike charges and then auto shuts off so I don't have to remember to pull the stupid plug at night.  I'm really surprised with all the tech that goes into the Zero, that they didn't integrate an auto disconnect in the BMS or onboard charger.  Hell, my Dell laptop has battery life management software that automatically charges/discharges the battery after it gets to down to 90% and back up to 100%.

Ill answer my own question, the WION switch only handles 1000W....  Damnit !  The Killawatt doesnt have automated features, does anyone know of an automated outlet switch?

morimaxx

• View Profile
    • My personal blog (german only)
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 10:21:53 PM »

I use an energy saving mains socket for PCs:
http://www.ansmann.de/en/products/chargers-power-supplies/energy-saving-mains-sockets/aes3?___store=en

It's programmable to the standby consumption of the plugged in device and switches power off after 1 minute as soon as the standby draw have been reached.
Power on is via push button.

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 10:38:08 PM »

I use an energy saving mains socket for PCs:
http://www.ansmann.de/en/products/chargers-power-supplies/energy-saving-mains-sockets/aes3?___store=en

It's programmable to the standby consumption of the plugged in device and switches power off after 1 minute as soon as the standby draw have been reached.
Power on is via push button.

Is there a USA version?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9