• April 25, 2024, 02:14:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Email From Zero: Updated Firmware and Charging Recommendations  (Read 18044 times)

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile

The charging recommendations are old news for forum readers.  I'm really happy to see Zero finally providing insight into the changes they are making in the firmware updates and alerting owners that new firmware is available.  I think it really helps so people know why they would want to do an update and maybe some who haven't had a firmware update since the day they bought it years ago might actually go have the update done.....you know who you are  ;)

NEW CHARGING RECOMMENDATIONS

Previously, Zero has recommended that our owners always keep their motorcycles plugged in to charge whenever they’re not in use. We are now changing our charging recommendations for our 2013 and later motorcycles to maximize the performance and longevity of our Z-Force® Power Packs. This change is based on a wealth of real-world power pack performance data and insights from our cell provider.

Zero is now recommending that owners do not keep their motorcycles plugged into an AC power source once charged. This will ensure maximum performance and power pack life. Detailed recommendations:

Regular Use

After each use, you should plug your motorcycle into an AC power source to recharge. Once it is charged, you should disconnect it from the AC power source. Leaving your motorcycle unplugged will maximize long-term power pack health.

While unplugged and keyed off, the motorcycle’s electronics will consume a very small amount of power and the power pack will drain extremely slowly. If you don’t ride for an extended period (30 days or more), you may want to plug the motorcycle in for a few hours to charge it prior to your next ride.

Long-term Storage

For planned long-term storage (more than 30 days), we recommend draining the power pack to a ~60% state of charge (SoC), and leaving the motorcycle unplugged.

The power pack will drain slowly over time. Check the SoC at least monthly, and charge it back up to 60% if it has dropped below 30%. When you’re ready to take your motorcycle out of storage to ride it again, plug it in for at least 24 hours to ensure optimal cell balance is restored.

WARNING: Never store your motorcycle at a state of charge of less than 30%. Leaving the power pack discharged below this level for a prolonged period could damage the power pack and void the warranty.

NEW FIRMWARE

Even though Zero motorcycles’ powertrains require very little maintenance, that doesn’t mean no-maintenance, and we highly recommend having your firmware updated at least once a year to ensure that your motorcycle performs at its best. If you haven’t had your firmware updated in the last year, now should probably be the time, as we’ve made some important updates. We’ve just released new firmware with the Zero Diagnostic Utility version 26.11 and higher. Owners who upgrade to this version will get a series of improvements and new algorithms developed to maximize power pack life. Specifically, you’ll benefit from:

Enhanced Charge Top-Off Monitoring

This algorithm enhances the procedure by which the motorcycle maintains its maximum SoC while connected to a charger.  Once your bike is fully charged, the charger will shut off.  It will then only top-off the battery when its SoC falls into the low 90% range. This will save your Power Pack and charger from unnecessary, frequent charging when left unused for longer periods of time.  To force a full charge before a ride, unplug the charger for 1 minute, then plug it back in to initiate a top-off.

Power Pack SoC Maximization

As the power pack on your motorcycle ages, individual battery cells may perform differently. Any reported imbalance may lead to an unnecessary reduction in available power and reduced motorcycle range. This new algorithm monitors individual battery cell performance to ensure you are maximizing both power and range. In addition, it improves the accuracy of the SoC reported on your dash.

Mr. Aaron Cheatham has just (OK the letter is dated 9 May but I only got it a few weeks ago) sent me these same recommendations via letter.  Very nice heavyweight paper stock (more like a greeting card) and everything!

One particular item of note (highlighted in bold text by Mr. Cheatham himself) which was not in the email that was sent is that "costs of all firmware updates are fully covered by Zero, regardless of your bike's warranty status". Nice! I guess if your dealer tries to charge you for FW update you just show them the letter....I guess that might explain the super heavyweight card stock :)

Nice work Aaron!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:19:30 AM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Email From Zero: Updated Firmware and Charging Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 07:28:59 AM »

After each use, you should plug your motorcycle into an AC power source to recharge. Once it is charged, you should disconnect it from the AC power source. Leaving your motorcycle unplugged will maximize long-term power pack health.

This one seems odd to me. If the AC power is plugged in and the bike is topped off how would the bike get more power less it asked for it?

On my 2013 with the same year battery my meanwell chargers will all click their relays when the bike is topped off and no power gets tot he battery that I know of at least ... wonder if some still gets through and the batteries have to drain it off?

I could see this helping the chargers / CCU (on 2013's only) have a longer life though. Let me go check my bike and see if it is charged :D

(watch, I start doing this and something bad happens >__< lol)

As for the firmware updates I don't trust dealers to do them anymore after they flashed mine and screwed it up :/
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »

Nothing can get to the battery if the contactor is open but the charger does still draw a few watts....like .08 amps but at a low PF.  There is a slow drain on the batteries so if you leave it plugged in and don't ride for long enough then the voltage will drop enough for charging to start up again.

With the new firmware you have to get down to 90% before that would happen.  With older firmware it happens much sooner.... something like 1V or 2V drop.  That's why the new firmware adds the top off feature. So if you come out and voltage is within a volt or 2 but you want most possible trons then you just unplug for 1 minute and plug back in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »

The new FW's top-off algorithm is fine....and absolutely unnecessary if you follow the new charging recommendations, unplug after end of charge!

And still no solution to stop charging cleanly (without sparcs in the plug) before unplugging, when you need to do so before end of charge?
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 01:08:15 PM »

I would love a programmable SOC charge limit via the app, just like Tesla's "everyday riding" and "trip" charge. Everyday limit would be 90%, if you plan to do a longer ride just set it to 100% and embark right after finishing.
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 02:06:34 PM »

I would love a programmable SOC charge limit via the app, just like Tesla's "everyday riding" and "trip" charge. Everyday limit would be 90%, if you plan to do a longer ride just set it to 100% and embark right after finishing.

I was just about to post this, programmable SOC charge limit would be great, I would personally keep it at 80% for increased battery life :)
I hope they introduce this and faster charging option.
Norway
Opel Ampera-e ordered 16.09.16, delivered 08.06.17    Tesla Model 3 reserved 01.04.16
2013 Nissan Leaf Tekna     2011 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Cama

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 03:05:13 PM »

I guess something like that

https://www.amazon.de/AVM-intelligente-Steckdose-Spritzwasserschutz-Au%C3%9Fenbereich/dp/B01MRZ60F0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489952052&sr=8-1&keywords=fritz+dect+210

does the job. But you have to program each shutdown-time if they are different.

Maybe there is a tool, where you can choose a limit of kWh to shutdown?

ZERO SR 2016

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »

Who received this Email, and how do I get on the list?

Does anyone know what firmware revision this is referencing?  I got rev50 very recently, but someone on FB posted that they have rev51.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »

Pinned the topic sticky. Seems important.

Pat Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 05:49:57 PM »

Is the firmware update something you have to take to a dealer to do? Or can you do it yourself?
I have a 2016 SR

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 06:34:35 PM »

Is the firmware update something you have to take to a dealer to do? Or can you do it yourself?
I have a 2016 SR

2017 bikes can update firmware through the app, but you have to take it to the dealer.  There should be no charge. 
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Pat Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 07:29:17 PM »

Thanks - will take to my dealer

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 09:53:51 PM »

I guess something like that

https://www.amazon.de/AVM-intelligente-Steckdose-Spritzwasserschutz-Au%C3%9Fenbereich/dp/B01MRZ60F0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489952052&sr=8-1&keywords=fritz+dect+210

does the job. But you have to program each shutdown-time if they are different.

Maybe there is a tool, where you can choose a limit of kWh to shutdown?

I'm actually thinking about designing something with a Wemos (arduino with wifi). I have a separate electricity meter for the charging cable, which can easily be read out with an arduino. Furthermore I'm thinking about using some of the ideas of the other thread to get a CAN-bus connection to the bike via the OBD-port and send the data to the wemos while charging, which then transfers it to my homeserver. I have all the parts here, I just need a little more time ;-)
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 06:16:42 AM »

Concerning Domingo’s comment regarding recommended, (not recalls) firmware updates - ‘There should be no charge.” I just checked with 2 dealers in California. Both said ‘yes’ to: There would be a $$ charge. This seems correct to me as they need to cover their overhead.

Question - Should the firmware update be accomplished? Is it highly advisable or just a suggestion?
Question - If an owner did have their bike updated (not a recall) in the past, was there a noticeable difference in performance?

Thought - The latest firmware update is a good idea as anything to extend the life of the battery is a wise choice.

The dealers I checked with were: [1] Revolution Moto in Santa Rosa, and [2] San Jose BMW.

Concerning ‘Revolution Moto’, they are a fairly new Zero dealership. I asked if they had fast charging there - answer = ‘no’. Question - If I dropped by, would I be allowed to charge with the bikes on-board charger - answer = ‘Yes’.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 06:38:49 AM »

As I have said before, my 2014 S is running and charging perfectly. The battery modules are in balance and within 2-3 mV. I can still travel as far on a charge as when the bike was new, over 3 years ago. So I can't think of any reason why I would want my firmware updated.  ??? Why take a chance on something going wrong with the download, or that firmware updates that were designed for the newer models might clash with my 2014 model?

To me yearly visits to a Zero dealer seems like a method of tossing some after-sales business to dealers who are not getting much action for the "backroom" from EV technology after the bike is sold to the customer.  I know that BMW dealers make a lot more profit from regular 6K servicing than they ever make from the initial sale. And that service just gets more and more expensive.  Right now servicing their latest models at a BMW shop (which includes checking for, and possibly installing, revised firmware downloads) can easily run between $600 to $800 each visit.  Not needing to visit a Zero dealer saves me a lot of money.  Although I might feel differently if my local dealer hadn't gone out of business.   :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9