• April 23, 2024, 11:31:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fast external charger ?  (Read 616 times)

grandpa

• View Profile
Fast external charger ?
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:26:27 PM »

Hello,

I'm looking for an external charger. I've bought the official QuiQ charger, but 1000W is too few for me. And i dont want to buy 4 QuiQ chargers...
I've seen many posts about custom chargers, or some other manufacturer external charger.

I'm ready to buy an Elcon 2500 Charger, but i'm not sure it is the product that i'm looking for
https://evolveelectrics.com/collections/chargers/products/elcon-hf-pfc-2500-charger?variant=37693701124
Does the product ready to use with my Zero S (2016) ? (just unbox the charger and ready to plug on my home plug and on my zero). Or i will need to make some changes ? (connector ? ...?)

Ideally, i need 5 or 6kW power. If someone have a "ready to use" solution/product to sell, please feel free to pm me :)

Thanks for your help.
Zero S 11k 2016

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Fast external charger ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:10:10 PM »

Do you have a power tank?

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 01:35:04 AM »

I have no power tank, no charge tank also ;)
Zero S 11k 2016

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 11:57:16 AM »

In that case, Diginow.

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 01:44:47 PM »

If you decide you want an Elcon , I'm thinking about selling mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »

Is there some professional that can install diginow ? Where can i buy it ?

How does it work Emtkopan ? I understand that i can plug the Elcon on the aux port of the bike, but which source of power ?
Zero S 11k 2016

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 06:41:49 PM »

I am not sure where you live but any competent mechanic who has a basic understanding of zeros could install the diginow super charger for you. There is good documentation on how to do the install and it simply drops in place, is secured down, and plugs are interfaced with the bike.

The JPlug which comes with the unit is long enough you could have it installed at the default location, or if you wanted on top the tank like the "tank charger" unit is stock by zero.

The smallest unit is 3.3kW ... but you can easily fit 2 under the tank and use one Jplug.

For "power source" the diginow unit is powered via JPlug. If you have other plugs you can purchase adapters which convert 14-50, 14-30, 5-20, to JPlug on diginows site.  The unit charges the bike through the AUX port, but it is also set up so you can power the stock chargers at the same time.

There is a diginow super charger thread on the forums worth checking out.

Here is the diginow website http://diginow.it/super-charger-for-zero-motorcycle.php

You can order them through Hollywood electrics, so feel free to call them and ask for the unit you would like to order or ask them questions. If you live near Hollywood electrics then they could install it for you no problem. You could theoretically use it as an "external" charger but ideally you would install it under the tank.

Note, this is made to be used with a power tank or charger tank ... if you have the tank with a pouch in it then it would need to be modified or replaced with one of the other units. The replacement tanks are about $100 if I recall. Again, talk to hollywood electrics ;)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 07:07:37 PM »

Thanks for your detailed reply :)

I live in France, so I think mechanic will not want to install this kind of product, with american support... I will try this afternoon ;)

Zero have stopped charge tank for 2017 models.... maybe for the launch of a new supercharger ? I think it's the only way i could have this kind of product installed by my mechanic...

Thats why my first purpose was to search an external charger. The goal is to charge faster when i run on track, i dont need it permanently inside the bike.
Zero S 11k 2016

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 09:26:24 PM »

I have no power tank, no charge tank also ;)

If you are using it off the bike and only racing your bike I assume you also removed the stock chargers to save weight?

My bike had everything removed, including the charger / mounts / lights / etc, when set up for racing. Even the electronics were moved to the top of the battery to make it easier to access them.

If you are racing your bike I assume you are able to attach two connectors (the aux charging port to the output on a diginow charger. Then attach the power connector on the charger to the appropriate input port adapter (jplug for US) and keep it "fixed" to the charger. When charging you would simply plug your power source into this.

You would likely not use your stock chargers as it would require attaching them every time to the bike and then powering them.

If it were me I would look at the 6.6kW model and use it in isolation with the equivalent of a 14-50 outlet (220 50amps) outlet as my sole recharging solution at a track.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:35:01 PM by Burton »
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 09:53:34 PM »

For my usage, i can simply put the chargers with cables in my topcase, and put them on the ground when i want to use them :)
Zero S 11k 2016

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 10:52:29 PM »

Zero have stopped charge tank for 2017 models.... maybe for the launch of a new supercharger ? I think it's the only way i could have this kind of product installed by my mechanic...
Wait whaaaat?

For your charger I think this is the best option:
https://hollywoodelectrics.com/portfolio-view/elcon-quick-charger/

The only thing you need to do is snip off the US plug and wire your local on.

grandpa

• View Profile
Fast external charger ?
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 03:29:44 PM »

Sound great. I cant buy it from your link (i didnt see any price)
But seem buyable here
https://evolveelectrics.com/collections/chargers/products/elcon-hf-pfc-2500-charger?variant=37693701124

Will it come with the andersen conector ? Seller ask to define many options, like external control, number of cells, batterie voltage, charging curve ???
Zero S 11k 2016
Pages: [1]