• March 29, 2024, 09:55:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Using Charge Adapters (J1772, NEMA ...)  (Read 1137 times)

Killroy

• View Profile
Using Charge Adapters (J1772, NEMA ...)
« on: April 27, 2017, 11:25:25 PM »

Is it more dangerous to use NEMA adapters like the RV Plug, the Dryer Plug with 6+kW chargers?  Let me explain below.

Now that I have a DigiNow Fast Charger, I can go ride to the REFUEL event June 25th at Laguna Seca and race the track. 

They say they will have RV NEMA 14-50 sockets for charging, so I need a adapter. 

DigiNow has this modular gun where you can plug in an NEMA 14-50, NEMA TT-30, Tesla, ect.  When you use a EV charging station, the charging station stops the current when it detects that the shorter 'proximity' pin connect first so there there is no arcing. 

When you use a NEMA adapter, there is not proximity pin and no switch, so if you want to stop the charge and pull the plug, won't the arcing be a problem?  Of course, that is how we unplug the on board charger, but that is only ~1.3 kW, not 6+ kW. 

Thanks

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: Using Charge Adapters (J1772, NEMA ...)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 11:45:04 PM »

At most RV parks the breaker is right next to the outlet so if possible it's best practice to switch the breaker off before connecting and then switch on after connected then switch back off before disconnecting.....but it's not required....just best practice.  But if you haven't switched off the breaker you should disconnect J-plug from bike first then disconnect 14-50.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 12:00:11 AM »

Just pull the J plug out first. if its built right, it knows when you depress the lever...

then again, that assumes its a proper EVSE adapter with relays in the handle, and not just a plug-only hackjob.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 12:08:57 AM »

Just pull the J plug out first. if its built right, it knows when you depress the lever...

then again, that assumes its a proper EVSE adapter with relays in the handle, and not just a plug-only hackjob.

Well, the DigiNow is not a EVSE, so what do you think of that?

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 01:04:24 AM »

...if possible it's best practice to switch the breaker off before connecting and then switch on after connected then switch back off before disconnecting...

I wouldn't advise that. Breakers generally aren't designed for use as switches, and will fail very prematurely if used that way. They're designed only to break when there's a fault, maybe 50-100 times during their life at most. They look like switches, but they aren't.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Kenmc_3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 02:06:02 AM »

Actually that is what is recommended. Turn breaker off, connect the RV, then turn the breaker on. I do it every time I connect my motorhome.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 02:27:59 AM »

What do you do if there is no breaker?

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 04:55:49 AM »

What do you do if there is no breaker?

Disconnect J-plug from bike first then disconnect 14-50....do the reverse when plugging in....14-50 then J-Plug.

I wouldn't advise that. Breakers generally aren't designed for use as switches, and will fail very prematurely if used that way. They're designed only to break when there's a fault, maybe 50-100 times during their life at most. They look like switches, but they aren't.

LOL....when I was stuck at an RV park with a mis-behaving SCv1 you should have seen me flipping that poor little breaker 100 times in 30 seconds trying to spark the SCv1 back to life under @Electric Cowboy's direction....which did eventually work after doing that for 30 seconds 4 or 5 times.

You're right....it's not a switch and under most circumstances you shouldn't use it like one....but it is best practice to use it as one at an RV park as I described.

https://youtu.be/FSaqyh6yqAM?t=41
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:31:51 AM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 06:46:30 AM »

Replacing some fusebox breaker or a J1772 plug is just better than possible electrocution, no matter the cringe factor for abusing electronics parts. The same concern exists for all the digiNow modular adapters not just NEMA 14-50, because it will energize the Tesla station for example if you are using the HPWC modular adapter. Safety third! (and second, and first).

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 07:09:36 AM »

Perhaps I overstated my case. Some breakers ARE designed to be used as switches as well, and will last a very long time when used that way. Perhaps that's the sort of device that's common in RV parks, and maybe at EV recharging stations. I just wouldn't want to do it if I didn't know for sure. I'd hate to be the one that caused a premature failure at a public recharging station, since you know it isn't going to get fixed for six months.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 08:37:42 AM »

I'd hate to be the one that caused a premature failure at a public recharging station, since you know it isn't going to get fixed for six months.

True that!

I accidentally tripped the breaker on two different Charge Point stations with the SCv1 by doing nothing other than charging my bike....mean little sucker that SCv1...not many people understand that better than you and your poor 2014 SR....nothing like the SCv2.  At least I think I just tripped the breaker but based on how long it took for them to get back online, who knows.  I reported both right away using the Charge Point app.  One didn't get fixed for like a month.  The other, which was in a parking garage at an apartment complex, took several months to get back online and once it was back online it was pulled from the Charge Point app so that it doesn't show up in searches anymore.  I felt horrible  :(  Actually....I still feel horrible about that one.

I have never seen a public charging station where the breaker was accessible to the public.  If they exist, I would just plug in without using the breaker as a switch.  RV parks are different (at least in the case of the DigiNow setup) because you are using the J-plug to NEMA 14-50 to plug straight into 240V without any of the smarts that come with an EVSE.  I would definitely recommend using the breaker as a switch at an RV park.  If something does happen to the breaker just report it to the front office at the RV park....theoretically they should be much more responsive to getting it fixed than my experience with public charging stations which typically don't have onsite management the way an RV park does.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:39:35 AM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 10:41:09 PM »

Doesn't the NEMA 14-50 have larger, 50 amp, terminals and you would want to abuse that side rather than your pricey j1772 plug and socket (~32 amps)?

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 12:01:27 AM »

Doesn't the NEMA 14-50 have larger, 50 amp, terminals and you would want to abuse that side rather than your pricey j1772 plug and socket (~32 amps)?

No.  J-plugs are designed to be hot-plugged.  Like USB, when unplugging, the signal lines break before the power lines, allowing electronics circuitry to shut off power and avoid unplugging under load.  And the converse, power connections are made before signal connections, allowing the electronics to handshake before main power starts to flow.  If you want to avoid arcing, plug in j-plug last and unplug j-plug first.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 12:22:59 AM »

No.  J-plugs are designed to be hot-plugged.  Like USB, when unplugging, the signal lines break before the power lines, allowing electronics circuitry to shut off power and avoid unplugging under load.  And the converse, power connections are made before signal connections, allowing the electronics to handshake before main power starts to flow.  If you want to avoid arcing, plug in j-plug last and unplug j-plug first.

Yes, but the proximity pin on the 1772 does not do anything when connected to a simple NEMA adaptor (without a EVSC).

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 01:25:59 AM »

Correct, also is more electrocution hazard than the alternatives.
Pages: [1] 2