• March 28, 2024, 11:26:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FreeCAD all the things  (Read 737 times)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
FreeCAD all the things
« on: April 27, 2017, 10:23:55 PM »

I just tried CAD program for the first time FreeCAD part of what's available from a Debian GNU/Linux desktop computer system.

I can't figure out the things I can't figure out, but overall I did get some half-decent parametric drawings in for the Zero DS drop bars brackets and cross member so far. See attachment.

Does anyone else use FreeCAD and knows how to model this stuff better?  I got stuck on trying to make half a part and then mirror to the other side without making a seam.

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: FreeCAD all the things
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 11:05:57 PM »

Are you aware that there's such a thing as a 3D PDF? Most CAD packages can generate them, and Acrobat Reader can display them, although I'm not sure about the free version. It's a very cool way for many more people to be able to view a 3D rendering in 3D, rotating, zooming, without having to install a viewer. It seems to handle 3D renderings very well, too, without gigantic file sizes or tremendously slow redraws, though that might be more of a function of the generating software than Acrobat itself. But give it a whirl, assuming FreeCAD has it available as an output.

I use it with Altium (PCB layout software) at work all the time, and it's terrific. I used to hate trying to 3D render PCBs, but it works so quick and easy now I love it. When I show people a beautifully rendered PCB that's only half-way through the layout process, they're always blown away.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:19:14 AM »

That is a good drawing. Can you figure out DXF/STL export? Those are easier to use across tools.

3D PDF is a good idea; I'm using Onshape which doesn't directly support it but I can probably work it out.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 06:40:18 AM »

I just tried CAD program for the first time FreeCAD part of what's available from a Debian GNU/Linux desktop computer system.

Nice drawing of the upper mounting of the Zero SP crash bar!

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: [1]