• April 27, 2024, 02:54:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: About to buy a '17 S...  (Read 935 times)

cep55

• View Profile
About to buy a '17 S...
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:56:25 PM »

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking here for a while, and appreciate the great information and conversations.

I test-rode the SR last week, and fell in love. I have a couple of ICE bikes, but this will be my first electric.

As far as the type of riding I do, it’s mostly around town. I definitely appreciate a little torque, and having enough power to pass or get out of a situation when I need to, but I don’t race and I’m never going to be  a speed demon.

I’m about to order an S ZF13.0. I can’t see myself ever getting close to needing/wanting the power of the SR. It’s just not the kind of riding I do.

My question is this—other than the additional power of the SR (for which the S will definitely meet my needs/desires, and then some), is there anything else I should be considering? I imagine the resale value may be a little better on the SR, (but probably not more than the delta between the two MSRPs)? Suspension, brakes, etc are the same, correct? Anything else to think about?

thanks!

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: About to buy a '17 S...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 11:13:23 PM »

The controller and motor are sized different to get that kind of power. When I rode the 2016 Zero S for a week, while my 2016 Zero DSR was in the shop, it felt a little lacking in power. For my liking the 2016 DSR has plenty of acceleration capability. I don't think I'd need or want the extra acceleration of the 2017 SR but I would probably dish out the extra monies for it just because I would get bored with the 2017 S.

Something to think about is if you will want to add long-distance capability. Adding a PowerTank and four modules of SCv2 (at great expense) will give you approximately 40min recharge time for 1hr riding at 70mph. There is extra weight to doing this (presumably crash bars, metal belly plate, wind screen, and the charging electronics, most likely also top rack and case). If you put all that on a Zero S it will keep 70mph easily but maybe passing power on the highway is not as confident as the SR. Although by then you're looking at an easily $20k+ bike.

If you're still okay with buying the 2017 S maybe have a look around for the used market of a 2016 SR, for comparison.

cep55

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 12:02:54 AM »

Thanks for that, Shadow. Very helpful. So other than a slight power bump, and the unlimited mileage warranty, there's really no substantive difference btw the 2016 and 2017 SR?

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 12:13:54 AM »

The SR also has a fatter belt....The S has the older style belt that does break.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 12:46:13 AM »

One thing to think about is how much you want to sell your ICE bikes for. They will no longer be needed! Hahaha

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:52:33 AM »

One thing to think about is how much you want to sell your ICE bikes for. They will no longer be needed! Hahaha

Not true.  My K1200LT got me to Daytona Beach from New York (1,100 miles) in two days.  Even with fast charging and sleep-deprivation type riding, I don't think Electric is there yet.  I can go 280 miles on a tank of fuel, and refueling is a matter of minutes, not hours.  When electric can make those kinds of claims, then and ONLY then will I replace my ICE bikes.

However, for my daily commute and local riding?  There's NOTHING like the Zero.  The "S" has more than enough power to jump ahead of 90% of the cars out there and can comfortably cruise at the prevailing speeds of our local highways.  It also has more than enough range for me to take lunch time rides and the long way back home.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 01:58:59 AM »

May want to consider a DigiNow fast charger that you can do more than 'around town'. 

I bought my bike for around town and quickly wanted to go 'out of town' because I liked it so much.  A fast charger can be more practical than a power tank extra battery.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 02:21:44 AM »

May want to consider a DigiNow fast charger that you can do more than 'around town'. 

I bought my bike for around town and quickly wanted to go 'out of town' because I liked it so much.  A fast charger can be more practical than a power tank extra battery.

It's taken me two years and 14,000 miles to get to that point, but yeah I'm beginning to want one or two.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

cep55

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 02:39:07 AM »

Thanks so much, all. You've been very helpful. Found a 2016 demo SR at a great price! If I o it, there will be more than enough savings over the 2017 S to get a Diginow... I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:48:40 AM by cep55 »

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 03:02:38 AM »

Thanks so much, all. You've been very helpful. Found a 2016 demo SR at a great price! More than enough savings over the 2017 S to get a Diginow... I'll update when the SR arrives...

There is only one problem with buying a Zero demonstrator and it involves the fine print in the warranty.  Unless things have changed, the warranty begins when the bike is shipped from the factory, unlike every other bike I've owned where the warranty began at delivery to the new owner.

That means the warranty clock was already ticking on that demo bike as it was sitting on the showroom floor.  If I bought a Harley or a BMW demo, I'd be getting a full warranty because I would be the first titled owner of the bike.  With a Zero demonstrator, I might only have a year left on the two year warranty because it was a demonstrator for a year.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 03:14:44 AM »

As long as it has a decent onboard charger then it probably won't need warranty work. 

I wish you the best of luck.  Once I got a decent charger under warranty, I've had no mechanical problems since. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 03:19:03 AM »

And trust me, you're going to need that warranty!
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 03:20:28 AM »

2016 SR won't have a wider belt. It won't be able to do firmware updates at home either. I've had to have my firmware updated many times, at a dealer, this is a big plus to do it at home!
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

cep55

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 03:50:13 AM »

Good point about the warranty, Jaime... that's important.

Also notable about the firmware updates. These are important things to consider, and I'm glad I asked!

Thanks again, all.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 04:27:49 AM »

2016 SR won't have a wider belt. It won't be able to do firmware updates at home either. I've had to have my firmware updated many times, at a dealer, this is a big plus to do it at home!

He's right.  The wider belt is on the 2017 models, and not JUST the SR.  They all get the wider, stronger belt.  You also get the ability to update your firmware from your smartphone, eliminating one reason to bring it back to the dealer periodically.

That said, I haven't had any major issues with my 2016 S.  It was one year old this past Sunday and now has 9,300 miles on it.  Only issue I had was with the turn signals.  They worked when I rode it home from the dealer but stopped after that.  It took them two tries to get them fixed but they've been working just fine ever since.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1] 2