• March 28, 2024, 06:41:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: French designer launches crowdfunding campaign for a hybrid motorcycle  (Read 1266 times)

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile

Bad idea. Don't invest, it will never hit the market.  Complexity will drive too much cost and no one would buy if it did come to market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

A hybrid motorcycle would have to be big enough to be able to hold both a gasoline engine and its fuel supply along with an electric motor and its battery.  I can't see any way in HELL the bike in the graphic could accomplish that.  Maybe if he were building something along the lines of a Honda GoldWing or a Victory Vision he might be able to make it work but in a little street-fighter type bike??  Not with the technology we have today.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Seeth

• View Profile

Gotta go with the guys above on this one. It's not an investment, just a concept that doesn't have reality behind it.

Maybe some day, though!?1

Fivespeed302

• View Profile

Rotary motors are very compact, but also not very fuel efficient.  Mazda tried for years and finally gave up on them.  Maybe if it was a two stroke dirt bike, but then it'll weigh too much.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Richard230

• View Profile

Rotary motors are very compact, but also not very fuel efficient.  Mazda tried for years and finally gave up on them.  Maybe if it was a two stroke dirt bike, but then it'll weigh too much.

The rotary engine used in the mid-1970's Suzukis was not all that compact.   ::)

Personally, I am getting a little tired of so many people using electric motorcycles as way of trolling for dollars.  Most of these concepts seem to have little hope of ever coming to market and their proponents appear to be looking for suckers who will believe their hype and invest in their project. Whatever happened to visiting Wells Fargo Bank if it is such a good deal, taking out a loan and using your home as collateral?  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile

The rotary engine used in the mid-1970's Suzukis was not all that compact.   ::)

Personally, I am getting a little tired of so many people using electric motorcycles as way of trolling for dollars.  Most of these concepts seem to have little hope of ever coming to market and their proponents appear to be looking for suckers who will believe their hype and invest in their project. Whatever happened to visiting Wells Fargo Bank if it is such a good deal, taking out a loan and using your home as collateral?  ;)

I've never seen a rotary bike, but I seem to recall hearing about the Suzuki on Motorcycles and Misfits podcast. 

Personally, I'm sick of this whole crowd sourcing thing period.  It's not much different than panhandling at best.  My brother did manage to get a really innovative cooler with a battery source that powered a blender and other accessories, but he had to wait nearly a year and could have gotten ripped off easily.  Sculley Helmets is probably the most sickening of them all to us motorcyclists.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Furion Mc

• View Profile

Thank you all for these comments but I have to bring some more information here.
As many of you have seen wacky concepts appear with amazing numbers.
Furion is a team of 8 independent engineers, some of whom are internationally recognized for their work on hybridization, connectivity and electric power.
They are academic partners including 2 schools of engineers specializing in congestion, calculation of structures and embedded intelligent systems.
It is a group of professionals, more than a delusional idea of ​​a single person ;-).
For information also, the rotary motor is no longer current for several months (the deployment despite the evolutions remains delicate and its price is dissuasive). Currently the demonstrator is realized around a motor of Yamaha R6 and has a motor of 15 KW. And the weight of the machine is closer to 240 Kg than to 200 Kg.

The site of Furion will soon be recast (it dates from a year ago, the French publications in the press are more recent) and the translation will also come and it will shed light on this adventure.

Thank you for taking this message, sorry for my rusty English.  :-\

Sportively
Marc

Burton

• View Profile

A hybrid motorcycle would have to be big enough to be able to hold both a gasoline engine and its fuel supply along with an electric motor and its battery. 

From the current site, which shows two people in the about page. A designer (whose work is found here http://www.hazylight3d.com/) and a consultant (moto racer).

Not sure what the campaign is for but it would only raise $54401.25 USD if it met its goal ...  With this I would have to assume there is no working prototype? Is this an exploration crowd funding project?
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

I can draw "Pie-in-the-Sky" pictures too.  He forgot the location of the Flux Capacitor and the back-up Oscillation Overthruster, by the way.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Furion Mc

• View Profile

To be transparent,
The project is capital-intensive and the purpose of the prototype is 480 K euros. The French and European financing levers are only available on a physical prototype.t Currently, 50K euros is the sum that is necessary to complete the demonstrator. We do not rely solely on this call to finance the project of course, but by transparency, we mention what is missing for the start-up. The image that you broadcast is an illustration (one of the first). The final (and EU-approved) prototypes will retain most of the lines, will differ on some aspects that are directly related to the solutions chosen.
Marc

Burton

• View Profile

I can draw "Pie-in-the-Sky" pictures too.  He forgot the location of the Flux Capacitor and the back-up Oscillation Overthruster, by the way.

Fixed it. The OO only needs to be attached at the swing arm since it requires a direct connection to the the tire for reverse functions only. The FC is integrated into the motor casing of course.

Furion, transparency is key and we all greatly appreciate anyone who is willing to directly address the community about their funding campaigns. We all joke around here because we have seen so many bogus projects we don't trust anything anymore less there is a prototype (unless you are Lit Motors ... we don't trust them anymore) . Secretly we all want alternative energy bikes to succeed.

If you get a prototype of this working it could change many things for the better so naturally we wish you luck.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Fivespeed302

• View Profile

Thank you all for these comments but I have to bring some more information here.
As many of you have seen wacky concepts appear with amazing numbers.
Furion is a team of 8 independent engineers, some of whom are internationally recognized for their work on hybridization, connectivity and electric power.
They are academic partners including 2 schools of engineers specializing in congestion, calculation of structures and embedded intelligent systems.
It is a group of professionals, more than a delusional idea of ​​a single person ;-).
For information also, the rotary motor is no longer current for several months (the deployment despite the evolutions remains delicate and its price is dissuasive). Currently the demonstrator is realized around a motor of Yamaha R6 and has a motor of 15 KW. And the weight of the machine is closer to 240 Kg than to 200 Kg.

The site of Furion will soon be recast (it dates from a year ago, the French publications in the press are more recent) and the translation will also come and it will shed light on this adventure.

Thank you for taking this message, sorry for my rusty English.  :-\

Sportively
Marc

Thank you for the update.  The rotary concept was very radical and difficult to see coming to fruition.  Your current description sounds much more feasible.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

The reason you don't see Wankel rotary engines in production, road-going vehicles is because they simply can't pass modern emissions standards.  For all intents and purposes, they are a "total-loss" lubrication system, only marginally better than a two-stroke piston engine in that regard.

Perhaps the designer is counting on the electric motor being the primary drive for the vehicle lowering the overall emissions-per-mile to an acceptable level??  I'm not even sure how either the EU or the US measures emissions for approvals.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Furion Mc

• View Profile

The reason you don't see Wankel rotary engines in production, road-going vehicles is because they simply can't pass modern emissions standards.  For all intents and purposes, they are a "total-loss" lubrication system, only marginally better than a two-stroke piston engine in that regard.

Perhaps the designer is counting on the electric motor being the primary drive for the vehicle lowering the overall emissions-per-mile to an acceptable level??  I'm not even sure how either the EU or the US measures emissions for approvals.

This is absolutely true, but mazda has managed to adapt the rotating standards to the Euro 6 b standards on RX vision with the implementation of Skyactive R. However, it is a technology now locked and highly patented. Inaccessible for a small Startup.
This remains an interesting solution to be honest, only if this giant is interested in the concept, but before that we have to go through certain stages ;-).
Pages: [1] 2