• March 29, 2024, 01:03:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Unexpected advantages of an electric bike  (Read 3464 times)

Fred

• View Profile
Unexpected advantages of an electric bike
« on: April 18, 2017, 02:27:55 AM »

There are a lot of obvious advantages of an electric motorbike, but what about the ones you weren't expecting? I've only had my Zero for about 6 weeks, but already there are a few little things that made me smile.

No more smelly baked on engine crud. When you ride an ICE bike in the rain you get that nasty cruddy filthy road spray onto the front of the hot engine and exhaust headers. It bakes on and when you get off the bike there's an unpleasant smell like you've been boiling a muddy puddle. (Well there is on UK roads anyway.) No more! :)

No more roasted nuts. Riding on a hot day in slow traffic? A lot of bikes have an exhaust that goes under the seat or at least near your inner thigh. It's not long before you nuts get overheated and sweaty. No more! :)
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected advantages of an electric bike
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 02:39:38 AM »

Speaking of smell.....since your nostrils aren't being constantly desensitized from exhaust....You can smell everything....Bakery...BBQ....Fresh cut grass...Cars burning oil....cow pies...People 'medicating' in the car in front of you....

The heat can be plus or minus.....When it's hot outside definitely a plus....On a cold night you miss the heat.   But I would rather turn on a heated seat when I need it rather than constant wasted energy as heat.  I've burned myself on hot exhaust pipes and even melted the sole of my shoe.... Sad

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
2014 Zero S

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 03:55:44 AM »

What I like is not having to visit a gas station and struggling with the EPA hose billows to get the pump to work.  Now I can just ride on by.   ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Starpower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 12:16:05 AM »

The thing that stands out the most to me and is rarely touted as an EV benefit - a complete lack of vibration.
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 01:21:05 AM »

Agreed. I love the way you can feel every bit of the road surface texture.

The first time I rode over a rougher bit of tarmac it reminded me of that feeling you get when you've overtightened the chain and are gradually destroying your chain and bearings. Once I realised that it wasn't, it was a revelation how much feeling you get when the engine vibration has gone. Even compared to the pretty smooth 90 degree V twins I used to prefer it is amazing.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 02:37:33 AM »

On the other hand, many bikers need, or think they need, "good vibrations"....
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 03:29:19 AM »

I was hoping at least one guy would post that his Ebike got him laid...  Im married so I don't think it helped me in that category lol... ::)

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 10:11:15 AM »

I was hoping at least one guy would post that his Ebike got him laid...  Im married so I don't think it helped me in that category lol... ::)

It might have, if you don't smell like gasoline when you get home your wife may be more amorous.

hubert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 03:58:44 PM »

It might have, if you don't smell like gasoline when you get home your wife may be more amorous.

;D ;D

Anyway, if needed, you can visit a perfume shop and buy a fragrance branded "Diesel"....  :P
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 05:42:38 PM »

I find it is a good conversation starter, but sadly it is usually with members of the same sex and I'm hetero so it hasn't done me any favors in that regard.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »

Largest benefit? Leaving for work, I just ride out of the garage, and the baby stays asleep.
With the ICE bikes, I roll out to the end of the driveway before starting... so I dont wake my wife or the baby.

Also, I enjoy the lack of attention. Riding the ICE bikes into the downtown area and into the parking garage everyone notices you... with the Zero, I silently go by without them noticing.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 01:45:20 AM by MrDude_1 »

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 07:54:12 PM »

Not having to wait for the engine to warm up. You can give it everything for the start - allowing for tyre temperature and grip, obviously.

My commute (if I'm in a hurry and go direct) is only 2 miles. On my ICE bike the engine didn't even get warm by the time I'd arrived. I felt it wasn't doing the engine any good and I had to take it reasonably easy.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 03:41:10 AM »

Not giving the coppers a heads up is a big bonus. They can hear most bikes coming, especially if the rider is trying to make progress.  By the time I pass and they look up, I've gone.  Not that I ride like a hooligan of course. It's just that if I'm riding in a spirited fashion, I don't want to attract attention.  I can have a bit of fun without advertising the fact.

Riding through the countryside is just a wonderful and tranquil experience.

Riding off road is great, especially as you're not bothering others that are enjoying going for a walk.

I'm a much less aggressive rider without the sound of an engine goading me on.

Being able to accelerate in one long uninterrupted and smooth maneuver is lovely. I find it mildly annoying running out of revs and having to change gear these days.

Not having to oil a chain is great.

No fumes on cold starts.

Tyres and brakes last a lot longer.

Cyclists like me instead of tolerate me. 

I can get away with riding places that would be a big no on a petrol bike.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 05:03:29 AM »

I sort of assembled this into the unofficial Zero manual Buyers' Guide, since it's probably obvious once you start riding:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Potential_Buyers_Guide#Riding_Differences
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

hubert

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »

Most of theses (un)expected advantages are also blessing electric cars, when compared to petrol cars.
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Pages: [1] 2 3 4