• April 25, 2024, 06:04:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Advanced Rider Training  (Read 495 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Advanced Rider Training
« on: April 09, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »

While I was at a BMW event a bloke came in to the dealership with a couple of his mates. They had all just got their licenses the day before. He bought three GS's, one each! However, when one of my HBAM (Herts and Beds Advanced Motorcyclists) colleagues asked him if he'd like to sign up for some advanced rider training he wasn't interested...

The cost is £150 per person. It includes a year's membership with the Institute of Advanced Motorists and an Associate's local affiliated group. It also includes all observed rides to get a rider to test standard; as many as it takes. A check ride and the cost of the test is included too. That last bit involves paying for an authorised examiner. All the rest is done by volunteers for charity. There was a 10% discount on the day too!

It made me wonder how many of the good people here had thought about pursuing advanced training? Recruitment is a real challenge. First of all, awareness if very low amongst the general public. There's no money for marketing. Secondly, once a biker has their license, they seem to think that's all that's sufficient.  They're right from a legal standpoint of course. Once they've got that piece of paper, all motivation for further training seems to vanish.

The net result is that the statistics for advanced training have been flat for years. I'm sure the figures represent the small proportion of bikers that are self motivated to seek out the training themselves. It probably includes a few who have friends or relatives that have done some advanced training.

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts you have on this subject. I know many of you are flung around the world, but you're all bikers and therefore fundamentally the same. Well, have something in common at least and an opinion that I value.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
Re: Advanced Rider Training
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »

I've taken several advanced training courses, they're a lot of fun and early on they will significantly improve your riding skills.
I also pay for "training" sessions. They're basically just practice runs for things that were taught in the courses.

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 03:32:58 AM »

In my area it sometimes happens that the local police organises (free of charge) some training sessions. It includes a bit of theory (good safety practice) and a mountain ride in small groups together with the cops who will give good advice. Alltogther it's an hour. Not sure it is equivalent to "advanced training". This is what I could read in the newspaper. I booked in for the next session 14th May. If it's fun, I will report to you!
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 04:16:09 AM »

Thanks MM and Hubert. 

By the way, any training you get from the police is going to be advanced. It's a bit like getting flying advice from the Red Arrows.  The training they get is top quality.

I'm really interested in any comments anyone has with regards to recruitment. There are plenty of people willing to provide training, it's just getting people to take it up that's the problem.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

hubert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:37:22 PM »

Sunday morning I attended a safe riding "master class" organised by a 2-wheeled brigade of the "Gendarmerie", the french road&land police.

Purpose was to explain and train safe tracking on curvy mountain roads. It was done in 3 steps:

- check of the rider's license and insurance, the bike's condition (tires, lights, engine stop switch) and the mandatory equipment (helmet and gloves).

- theoretical explanations on a display board

- riding in small groups (4+1)

To be continued...
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

hubert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »

... continuation

We were about 30 riders attending on a sunny morning after early rainfall. Another group was scheduled 2 hours later. The cops with their blue bikes (BMW, Honda, Yamaha) were 8 or 9, among them a lady, all very cool guys. Like riders... It appeared clearly that their purpose was not to say "please ride slowly for your safety", because they know this would not work, but they rather wanted to show how to ride "dynamically" with minimum risk, however pointing out that the road is not a racetrack and that there can be traffic ahead and in the opposite direction, including vehicles which may "cut" a little bit the curves.

The practical part was riding in groups of 4 plus a cop, up and down a 5km mountain road section which was specially "privatised" and closed at each end for this event. First return was the cop in front to show the right trajectory, then 4 other returns each guy riding in front once, followed by the cop who checked his behaviour. Short briefing at each stop uphill and downhill. Altogether about 50km riding at very good speed, sometimes beyond the legal limit. Not so easy to negotiate sharp curves on wet and in some places dirty tarmac.

This event was a very nice experience, I could get good advice since I'm not that seasoned in riding.

Sadly, only a few people noticed there was an E-Bike parked in the crowd. I got only one or two questions, always the same. People are really not curious.
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 06:08:01 PM »

Great write-up, thanks Hubert.
Pages: [1]