• April 25, 2024, 08:30:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Would you be interested in purchasing a compact lightweight 3.3kW charger for USD700?

Yes, one charger for USD700 sounds great, I want one
- 25 (42.4%)
Yes Yes, I'd take two chargers for USD1250
- 12 (20.3%)
No, I need a charger that is waterproof/dustproof
- 14 (23.7%)
No, I'm happy with my current charging setup
- 4 (6.8%)
No, that price is too high for me
- 1 (1.7%)
No, I just love filling out polls
- 3 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Compact lightweight up to 8kW fast charger for under USD1600 delivered  (Read 17161 times)

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Re: Compact lightweight 3.3kW fast charger for USD700
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2017, 09:54:04 PM »

Yes, we have considered the option of a build your own charger kit but felt that only a small number of Zero owners  would be willing to build the charger themselves even if we supplied the case, PCB double rectifier connector,  PCB components, all wiring, fast charger cable etc. The rectifiers would have to be pre-programmed to work with Zero  bikes and available power supplies.

You can see the number of questions we get about a fully built charger, imagine how many there would be if we sold it in pieces!

Many of those who would be willing to build it themselves have already built their own chargers using Meanwell and Eltek equipment.

As I think I've mentioned previously,  we're Zero owners in Australia trying to help as many other Zero owners enjoy the benefits of fast charging. As soon as we ask people to do it themselves, a bunch of people won't do it and the risk of someone hurting themselves or the bike goes up significantly. Building a complete charger provides more value to a wider audience and increases the chance of us breaking even on the initiative.

We will continue to push to deliver complete/built  test chargers overseas and understand the bureaucratic challenges of doing that. From that small exercise we will reassess how we move forward from there for each continent/country.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:41:33 AM by evtricity »
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Hartmut

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2017, 11:09:40 PM »

Well, if I could build a fast charger by myself I would do it as a couple of people in NL do.
I have a lot of experience screwing on motorbikes but I have no idea of what is important for building and programming a charger.
I am very happy that you guys on the other side of the planet will offer a solution even I can work with.
I have no experience in import of electric devices but reading that the chargers already have a CE sign makes me look forward.
So I hope it all works out an I can get a 6.6 charger in the near future.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2017, 02:12:48 AM »

I'm definitely interested in the single charger.  I know I'd forget to turn it off though, even if I set the alarm on my phone. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2017, 04:06:53 AM »

I'm definitely interested in the single charger.  I know I'd forget to turn it off though, even if I set the alarm on my phone.
The fast charger automatically stops charging when it reaches top of charge.

We recommend that you turn off the fast charger around this time as the charger will continue to run its fans and draw a small amount of power for that purpose even when it is not charging.

If you are going to leave the bike for extended periods to charge (overnight, all day at work) then we recommend using the onboard charger which is designed for this purpose (silent/fanless, minimal ongoing power draw, waterproof etc).
2013 Nissan Leaf

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2017, 08:11:14 AM »

The fast charger automatically stops charging when it reaches top of charge.

We recommend that you turn off the fast charger around this time as the charger will continue to run its fans and draw a small amount of power for that purpose even when it is not charging.

If you are going to leave the bike for extended periods to charge (overnight, all day at work) then we recommend using the onboard charger which is designed for this purpose (silent/fanless, minimal ongoing power draw, waterproof etc).

Thanks for the response.  That makes sense.  I'll be checking in and will definitely buy one if not a pair by the end of the summer. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »

An update...

We have sent three of the 6.6+kW charging kits (chargers) to Europe and USA for locale testing last week. Another two have been delivered to Zero owners in Australia last week.

We have created an online shop at http://evtricity.com.au/shop which provides more details about the charging kits and J1772/Mennekes adaptors.

Pricing
We're pleased to announce that:
- the 6.6kW+ charger will be available for AUD1690 (~USD1250 and ~EU1150); and
- the 3.3kW+ charger will be available for AUD940 (~USD695 and ~EU640) as indicated earlier.

These prices include delivery but exclude any import duties/taxes. For Australian Zero owners, the prices quoted above include GST and shipping.

We've reduced the price of the 6.6kW+ charger to make it easier for Zero owners to experience the benefits of faster charging. The 6.6kW+ charger provides an optimal charging experience for our Zero's being:
- 6.6-7.2kW (e.g. 30/32A on J1772/Mennekes stations) without the onboard charger; and
- 8-9kW when used in conjunction with the onboard charger

Delivery times
We are currently getting the aluminium charger cases powdercoated and anodised to sample the various finishes this week. It is likely that the first batch of cases will be anodized in black which will occur over the next two weeks. We'll update the images on the shop site from the current "raw finish" chargers then.

As soon as the first batch of cases are anodised/powdercoated, we will be shipping the fully-built charging kits to Zero owners in Australia and New Zealand (late May/early June).

Subject to the locale testing in Europe and the USA in May, we anticipate shipping to those locations in June.

The user manual provides more details about the charging kits as well as warranty and support arrangements. The user manual is available from the product description in the online shop.

If you're interested, please browse our online shop at http://evtricity.com.au/shop to get more details.
2013 Nissan Leaf

Lecram

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2017, 07:25:06 PM »

Great job!

What if I plug this 7.2kW charger into a 5.5kW chargepoint? I mean: this chargepoint is limited to 24Amps (not just the fuse, it tops the current at 24A). Will this work?
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2017, 03:29:19 AM »

Great job!

What if I plug this 7.2kW charger into a 5.5kW chargepoint? I mean: this chargepoint is limited to 24Amps (not just the fuse, it tops the current at 24A). Will this work?

The 6.6+kW charger has two AC inputs set to 15A current limit per input. If the charging station only offers a maximum of 24A then you should only plug in one of the two AC inputs and the onboard charger to stay under the 24A limit.
2013 Nissan Leaf

Lecram

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2017, 03:57:41 AM »

Great job!

The 6.6+kW charger has two AC inputs set to 15A current limit per input. If the charging station only offers a maximum of 24A then you should only plug in one of the two AC inputs and the onboard charger to stay under the 24A limit.

I understand that this will limit the current as well. But if I plug in both chargers to achieve a faster charging, will it also work with a total of 24A input (and obviously also a limited power output)?

1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2017, 04:22:20 AM »

The chargers will pull 15A through each input regardless of the limit of the J1772 station as we don't modify the current pulled based on the available current specified by the  pilot signal from the J1772 station.

So if you do plug in both charger inputs into a J1772 station that provides less than 30A then the circuit breaker on the station will trip and stop charging.

You'd then have to reset the station and use one AC input (15A) and the onboard charger (6A).
2013 Nissan Leaf

E-Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2017, 02:07:43 PM »

Brilliant work! How exciting.

I've just caught up on the news, and am interested in a single charger. I'm also and Aussie living in LA, and ride a DSR from the legends down at Hollywood Elecrics.

Will they be selling? Is it best to get one picked up on the ground in Oz (girlfriend doing a trip back in May/June)? Or wait for shipments to west coast USA?

Looking forward to hearing more!

Cheers team,
Luke

Lecram

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2017, 02:37:03 PM »

I am considering to purchase the double and single charger. The double charger can charge through the chargeport, the single through the controller.
My question:

Is it possible to supply the single charger with a charge kabel with connectors to connect to the controller, as show here?: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Advanced_Modifications#Charging_Through_Sevcon_Controller

I mean in stead of the brown Anderson connector.

Second question:
I wamt to put the chargers in the rear case. What is the length of the charge cables?
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

vaiarii

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2017, 03:02:06 PM »

Subject to the locale testing in Europe and the USA in May, we anticipate shipping to those locations in June.

The user manual provides more details about the charging kits as well as warranty and support arrangements. The user manual is available from the product description in the online shop.

If you're interested, please browse our online shop at http://evtricity.com.au/shop to get more details.

Yeah!
That sounds like a great touring this summer!
I'll get a double pls!

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »

Brilliant work! How exciting.

I've just caught up on the news, and am interested in a single charger. I'm also and Aussie living in LA, and ride a DSR from the legends down at Hollywood Elecrics.

Will they be selling? Is it best to get one picked up on the ground in Oz (girlfriend doing a trip back in May/June)? Or wait for shipments to west coast USA?

Looking forward to hearing more!

Cheers team,
Luke

We will be shipping to Australia in late May, before shipping to the USA in June following testing there.

The cost in Australia is the same as in the USA - AUD940 including delivery for the 3.3kW charger. Not sure how each option - either carried in luggage or freight shipped from Australia will fare with any import duties.
2013 Nissan Leaf

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2017, 05:30:36 PM »

I am considering to purchase the double and single charger. The double charger can charge through the chargeport, the single through the controller.
My question:

Is it possible to supply the single charger with a charge kabel with connectors to connect to the controller, as show here?: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Advanced_Modifications#Charging_Through_Sevcon_Controller

I mean instead of the brown Anderson connector.

Second question:
I want to put the chargers in the rear case. What is the length of the charge cables?

In regard to connecting to the controller, the single charger has a short (20cm) DC output cable with an SB50 connector. To be able to connect it into the controller terminals you can make a DC cable using at least 6mm2 gauge wire with an SB50 on one end and suitable sized ring terminals on the other end. Rather than making a cable that is long enough to have the charger permanently connected to the controller while riding, I'd suggest you make the cable from the controller short and add a boot and cover to the SB50 connector for weatherproofing and tuck it out of the way when riding. When stopped, you can pull out the SB50, remove the cover and then connect a DC extension cable from the single charger to the short cable from the controller. While technically, yes, we could make the controller cable and the extension cable to suitable lengths, we have not tested the chargers permanently connected to the controller and so don't want to give the impression that this configuration is supported when we haven't tested it.

The standard DC fast charge cable with SBS75XBRN connector is 1 metre long (noted in the User Manual). We can make a longer cable, say 2 metres if desired. Just add a note to your order or email your requirement to support@evtricity.com.au.
2013 Nissan Leaf
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15