• March 28, 2024, 05:00:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Would you be interested in purchasing a compact lightweight 3.3kW charger for USD700?

Yes, one charger for USD700 sounds great, I want one
- 25 (42.4%)
Yes Yes, I'd take two chargers for USD1250
- 12 (20.3%)
No, I need a charger that is waterproof/dustproof
- 14 (23.7%)
No, I'm happy with my current charging setup
- 4 (6.8%)
No, that price is too high for me
- 1 (1.7%)
No, I just love filling out polls
- 3 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Compact lightweight up to 8kW fast charger for under USD1600 delivered  (Read 17074 times)

Lenny

• View Profile
Re: Compact lightweight 3.3kW fast charger for USD700
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 03:23:25 AM »

Someone who knows the charge limits of the FX feel free to chime in.

FX/FXS charge fuse is 70A (at least MY16/17). No problems with 2 flatpacks 2HE (41,7A) + onboard (6A)  = 47,7A so far. Max. charge current noted in the BMS parameters is 26A each pack, so 52 A in total.
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2017, 07:12:10 PM »

Someone who knows the charge limits of the FX feel free to chime in.

FX/FXS charge fuse is 70A (at least MY16/17). No problems with 2 flatpacks 2HE (41,7A) + onboard (6A)  = 47,7A so far. Max. charge current noted in the BMS parameters is 26A each pack, so 52 A in total.

Thanks Lenny!

So it looks like there is no fuse limit issue on an FX/FXS running our single charger along with the onboard!
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

vaiarii

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 02:11:04 PM »

Thanks for your answers evtricity
I'm really hoping that you will sale your chargers in a few time.
Keep us informed please

Thanks!

Pulsar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2017, 11:01:54 PM »

Could these modules be fed in series, using 415V (Europe's 240V mono-phase / 415V three-phase power) ?

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »

Could these modules be fed in series, using 415V (Europe's 240V mono-phase / 415V three-phase power) ?

For Europe, we will be wiring the chargers to use single phase - Live, Neutral and Ground on an IEC C20 socket. The double charger will have two independent AC inputs, both IEC C20 sockets. If you have a suitable 3 phase 5 pin (L1, L2, L3, N, G) source and splitter you could provide separate plugs to connect the IEC C20 with a Live (L1, L2 or L3), Neutral and Ground.

In Australia we have been using a 6 way splitter on 3 phase 32A 5 pin socket and we plug in 3 double chargers (6 x IEC C20 sockets drawing 15A each).
2013 Nissan Leaf

vaiarii

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2017, 05:43:12 PM »

If you have a suitable 3 phase 5 pin (L1, L2, L3, N, G) source and splitter you could provide separate plugs to connect the IEC C20 with a Live (L1, L2 or L3), Neutral and Ground.
I thought that the use of a splitter would feed the modules in parallel, no?

In Australia we have been using a 6 way splitter on 3 phase 32A 5 pin socket and we plug in 3 double chargers (6 x IEC C20 sockets drawing 15A each).
Wouldn't this trip the fuse of the station? (6x15A vs 32A)
Did you used the 3 double chargers to charge one bike at 3x6.6=19.8 kW ? or it was several bikes charged at one station?

Double charger:
Two chargers in one case with separate AC input and DC output
Standard AC input socket = 2 x IEC C20
[...]
BYO 2 x IEC20 15A+ cable for your country
Will we be able to disconect one of the chargers to plug the pack on one regular 15A socket?

Double charger:
[...]
Double DC fast charger cable included
Is it something like a Quick Charger Y Adapter that enable to connect the DC ouputs of both chargers to the aux port of the bike?

Can you post a photo of a double charger and the accessories that come with it?

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »

The Mennekes system used in the Netherlands has 3 phases, each individually fused an my guess is the Aussie system is the same. So each phase can deliver 230V at 32A, which means a 30A load per phase is no problem.
I made a charge cable for my setup that uses L1 for the charge tank and makes L2 and L3 available via a C19 connector on a connector box. The charge tank takes care of the handshake between the EVSE and the EV, and when the power is turned on I get three phases available at the current the EVSE supports. I can see how these chargers would work nicely with my charge setup ;)

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2017, 06:33:54 PM »

The Mennekes system used in the Netherlands has 3 phases, each individually fused an my guess is the Aussie system is the same. So each phase can deliver 230V at 32A, which means a 30A load per phase is no problem.
I made a charge cable for my setup that uses L1 for the charge tank and makes L2 and L3 available via a C19 connector on a connector box. The charge tank takes care of the handshake between the EVSE and the EV, and when the power is turned on I get three phases available at the current the EVSE supports. I can see how these chargers would work nicely with my charge setup ;)

Yes,  Australia has very similar power to Europe and we have some Mennekes three phase stations here we have tested on. I have actually built a triple charger (12kW DC) and have intended to run that off Mennekes three phase as the Tesla stations which use something very similar to standard Mennekes are actually the most prominent public stations in Australia.

We are intending to set the default AC input limit to suit common US and Europe home and public charging structure which is predominantly 15A/16A and 30/32A.

The J1772 adaptor we would offer as an option allows you to use the double charger with two IEC C20 sockets and 30A. There would probably be a similar product for Mennekes including the right resistor to enable charging off Mennekes stations. If not, our existing supplier of the J1772 adaptors may be able to build some for us.

If buyers were sure they could get 16A/32A from their charging locations we can increase the limit from 15A/30A.
2013 Nissan Leaf

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2017, 07:49:21 PM »

Thanks for all the questions. Answers below in orange

If you have a suitable 3 phase 5 pin (L1, L2, L3, N, G) source and splitter you could provide separate plugs to connect the IEC C20 with a Live (L1, L2 or L3), Neutral and Ground.
I thought that the use of a splitter would feed the modules in parallel, no?

The 3 phase 32A splitter I'm referring to takes the three phase and is wired to 6 separate sockets as follows:

Socket 1 = L1, N, G (max 16A)
Socket 2 = L1, N, G (max 16A)
Socket 3 = L2, N, G (max 16A)
Socket 4 = L2, N, G (max 16A)
Socket 5 = L3, N, G (max 16A)
Socket 6 = L3, N, G (max 16A)

Wouldn't this trip the fuse of the station? (6x15A vs 32A)

No, it won't trip the fuse as it's 3 phase x 32A = 96A and we only pull 30A on each phase out of the rated 32A.

Did you used the 3 double chargers to charge one bike at 3x6.6=19.8 kW ? or it was several bikes charged at one station?

We charged three bikes simultaneously @ 7.2kW (as we have 240v in Australia). It's not possible to charge much above ~9kW without bypassing the 100A fuse limited fast charging port. With one exception, all the Zeros we charge are stock and use the standard Zero fast charge port without modification.

Double charger:
Two chargers in one case with separate AC input and DC output
Standard AC input socket = 2 x IEC C20
[...]
BYO 2 x IEC20 15A+ cable for your country
Will we be able to disconect one of the chargers to plug the pack on one regular 15A socket?
Yes, if you only have one 15A socket available, on the double charger you only connect one AC input and one DC output to the bike. The other half of the double charger will not be powered on in this scenario. The double charger is effectively two single chargers fitted into one case/enclosure. The number and type of input and output cables/connectors on two single chargers is the same as on one double charger i.e. 2 x IEC C20 for AC input and 2 x Anderson SB50 for DC output.
Double charger:
[...]
Double DC fast charger cable included
Is it something like a Quick Charger Y Adapter that enable to connect the DC ouputs of both chargers to the aux port of the bike?

Yes, similar in nature. The configuration we have been using is a short 2 to 1 adaptor - 1 x Anderson SB120 to 2 x Anderson SB50 connector. The SB50 connectors connect to each of the two DC outputs from a Double Charger. On the bike side, another Anderson SB120 connector connects from the 2 to 1 adaptor to the bike via a 16mm2 cable and Anderson SBS75XBRN connector.

Can you post a photo of a double charger and the accessories that come with it?

Yes, if we choose to sell them, we will provide photos of both the single and double chargers and the DC cables and any adaptors that are included or optional (eg. the J1772 adaptor). Hang in there, we will make a decision as to whether and how to proceed soon.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:02:52 PM by evtricity »
2013 Nissan Leaf

vaiarii

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2017, 08:48:52 PM »

Thanks for your answers

Again, you've got a great idea to propose a ready-to-use, modular, low-cost fast charger!

So hoping to hear you soon

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »

I'm pleased to confirm that thanks to the very positive response from members on this forum and securing supply of key charger components, that we will proceed to build and sell these chargers for Zero owners who are looking for a compact, lightweight fast charging solution.

We have secured the supply of a limited number of new high-quality rectifiers that are configured, integrated and packaged to make our single and double chargers. Until we secure more supply, this will limit production to ~20 double chargers or ~40 single chargers or some combination of both single and double chargers e.g. ~10 double chargers and ~20 single chargers.

We will release more details on the charger specifications and options (including photos), purchase process, support, warranty etc later in April.

In terms of availability, we will be targeting delivery of the first production chargers in June subject to additional locale testing in USA and Europe in May.

In regard to this testing, we are looking for one customer in the USA and one customer in Europe who would be willing to work with us to validate the performance of the charger in their locale. If you are interested in testing these chargers please PM or email me using my contact details on this forum. The requirements for this testing are that you:
- pay the full purchase price of a double charger upfront;
- use the charger regularly during the testing period;
- test at various locations e.g both at home and at public charging stations; and
- provide weekly feedback until the end of the test period (4 weeks from receipt of the charger).

The test chargers will be double chargers as specified at the beginning of this topic. They key difference between these chargers and the final production versions will be finish - the test chargers will have a bare aluminium case (not painted / anodised). They will have the same one year warranty as the production chargers. At the completion of the testing period, as a thank you for your time to test and provide feedback, we will refund USD400 / EU375 from the expected purchase price of a double charger (USD1399 / EU1315) making an after refund price inc delivery of USD999 / EU940.

Thanks for your support  :)
2013 Nissan Leaf

Cama

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2017, 02:13:17 PM »

Size and weight?
ZERO SR 2016

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2017, 02:32:09 PM »

Size and weight?
Size and weight are listed in the first post of this topic.
2013 Nissan Leaf

vaiarii

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »

such a good news!

I have some more questions:

when paired in our charger they provide 116v - i.e. 100% charge on a Zero. The Elteks only get you to 115.2v max - about 95%.
I own a 2014 SR, is it concerned by these numbers or are they different?

I also own a 2014 SR and have tested these chargers extensively on my own bike. All Zero motorcycles from 2013 upward have the same max pack voltage.
I forgot to say that I have a power tank installed on mine. does it make any changes on the statement above?

We hope to get enough interest to sell you one. However, all import duties, VAT etc will be the responsibility of the buyer. Please research them before buying.
Well I tried to make my own research, but...hell! the duties mechanisms seem to be so complicated!
As far as I understood it, for France a consumer will have to pay a TVA (20% of price product) + import duty (which are quit hard to determine) to be able to take its product back from the custom office.
It is the consumer that has to pay when the product arrive at the custom office.

However, their seem to be some information that should be provided by the seller when sending the product, and here i'm lost...

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 06:38:41 PM »

Answers below in orange

such a good news!

I have some more questions:

when paired in our charger they provide 116v - i.e. 100% charge on a Zero. The Elteks only get you to 115.2v max - about 95%.
I own a 2014 SR, is it concerned by these numbers or are they different?

I also own a 2014 SR and have tested these chargers extensively on my own bike. All Zero motorcycles from 2013 upward have the same max pack voltage.
I forgot to say that I have a power tank installed on mine. does it make any changes on the statement above?

Voltage remains the same with the power tank, the Power Tank just adds capacity. In your case 125Ah versus 100Ah for the non-power tank 2014 SR.

We hope to get enough interest to sell you one. However, all import duties, VAT etc will be the responsibility of the buyer. Please research them before buying.
Well I tried to make my own research, but...hell! the duties mechanisms seem to be so complicated!
As far as I understood it, for France a consumer will have to pay a TVA (20% of price product) + import duty (which are quit hard to determine) to be able to take its product back from the custom office.
It is the consumer that has to pay when the product arrive at the custom office.

However, their seem to be some information that should be provided by the seller when sending the product, and here i'm lost...

The link at https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BiE5_H0jp1AJ:https://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-France/+&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au provides a good explanation of import duties and taxes in France. We will complete the cost declarations for the charger and shipping costs to meet import requirements.

2013 Nissan Leaf
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15