ElectricMotorcycleForum.com

  • May 27, 2017, 12:21:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Decision time... what to do, what to do  (Read 325 times)

Mike Werner

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 216
    • View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
Decision time... what to do, what to do
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:00:46 PM »

I'm now facing a tough decision. My lease of the BMW C-Evolution is expiring in July this year, and have to say, I love the electric scoot. I had a great 3 years riding the beast. But now, my choices are:

1. Keep the lease and current e-scooter
2. Get the latest C-Evolution, with more range and power
3. Go back and try to get another Zero (3.5 years ago I bought a press bike but Zero France royally screwed up on that one - their CEO got fired -  hence the BMW)

So, option #1 is the easiest. Just keep paying, don't return the 'older' model. But #2 is interesting to have that bit more range (I can't make it to the service centre with the range I've got at this moment).

I would love to go Zero DSR (I loved the older DS when I wrote several articles about it), but am afraid when I read several of the posts here that Zero as a company haven't gotten their act together yet in terms of customer service.

So.... what do I do? Suggestions?  (btw, I don't need a long range bike since I just got the Honda Africa Twin).

MostlyBonkers

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1004
    • View Profile
Re: Decision time... what to do, what to do
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »

Hi Mike, despite being one of the folks experiencing bad customer service, I'd do the following:

Find my local Zero dealer and go and have a chat. Tell them about your previous experiences. Ask them how many bikes they've sold and what their experience with Zero is. Ask if they intend to continue their relationship with Zero.

If you are happy with their responses and don't feel they're telling you lies, then I'd go for it.

It sounds like Zero are trying to improve things in Europe. The 2017 DSR should be a fantastic machine. Much more capable and fun than the scooter.
Logged

Richard230

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4533
    • View Profile
Re: Decision time... what to do, what to do
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:42:17 PM »

I agree with Bonkers.  You necessarily can't go by what is posted on this forum as (as you know) usually only people with problems typically post on forums.  Everyone will good experiences has no reason to comment as there is little incentive to do so. However, talking to a Zero dealer's service department's staff (stay away from the salespeople) and perhaps the shop owner, could likely result in some useful information.
Logged
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2014 14.2 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Mike Werner

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 216
    • View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
Re: Decision time... what to do, what to do
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 11:26:53 PM »

Thanks. I happen to know the Zero dealer since he was the region's main BMW Motorcycle dealer, he sold his shop and now only does Zero and off-road bikes. But the questions to ask are good; if he's happy, I should be.

MajorMajor

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 187
    • View Profile
Re: Decision time... what to do, what to do
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 02:25:01 AM »

I'd go for the new BMW or stay with the current one. Zero is too unreliable in Europe IMHO
Logged

Mike Werner

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 216
    • View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
Re: Decision time... what to do, what to do
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 06:20:20 PM »

Well..; I went out to talk to the local Zero rep and BMW rep. I couldn't find the Zero rep, since his shop is sooo small i missed it even after passing by twice. Literally a hole in the wall. So that took Zero out of the equation.

The BLW rep was great, I got the C-Evolution LR (Long Range - a joke, but it does add some 50% more range, but still... 150 km on a charge) for the same price as the previous model, but including €1000 government incentive. 3 year lease, €250 per month, no initial payment.

At this moment the C-Evolution is selling again like hotcakes (due to Paris clamping down on polluting vehicles), so need to wait 3-4 months.

tigerbike

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 17
  • Zero DS-R 2016, Photovoltac-charged
    • View Profile
Re: Decision time... what to do, what to do
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 06:43:47 PM »

I'd go for the new BMW or stay with the current one. Zero is too unreliable in Europe IMHO
From where do you have your knowledge? You know all the European markets? I had a DS 2013 until 6 weeks ago, had no problem with service etc., got an offer from Zero to change my battery free of charge, because they where not 100% sure, it would fit in the 5-years-warranty. After a good offer from Zero, I decided to change my DS to a DS-R 2016. Chassis is improved enormously, battery lasts up to 200km, or 100 with really fun.
The probs seem to be country-specific. And you have no country in your profile. Where are you from???
LHG
Logged

Mike Werner

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 216
    • View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
Re: Decision time... what to do, what to do
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 06:50:51 PM »

You'll find several countries in Europe where Zero is sold reporting problems. It's not the bike breaking down problems, that's part of any bike. But where they seem to have problems is repairing real problems.

The stuff the dealers can repair is no problem; most dealers are close to their customers and will do whatever they have to do to get the bike back on the road. But when they need to fall back on Zero, that's where the problems arise at this moment; no or little spares, procedure problems, stock control, etc.

MostlyBonkers

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1004
    • View Profile
Re: Decision time... what to do, what to do
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »

You'll find several countries in Europe where Zero is sold reporting problems. It's not the bike breaking down problems, that's part of any bike. But where they seem to have problems is repairing real problems.

The stuff the dealers can repair is no problem; most dealers are close to their customers and will do whatever they have to do to get the bike back on the road. But when they need to fall back on Zero, that's where the problems arise at this moment; no or little spares, procedure problems, stock control, etc.


Mike, I wouldn't judge a book by its cover. Large dealerships are just as capable of being rubbish. I'd still be inclined to talk to the guy running his hole in the wall. It often boils down to the skills of one person anyway.

Having said that though, the longer I wait with no news on my back wheel, the less inclined I am to recommend buying a Zero to anyone. I woke up this morning and this thought crossed my mind:

Zero have no right to sell a product if they are unable to support it.

I didn't buy a Zero with the intention of doing long term test rides on courtesy bikes, all of which run on petrol and defeat the whole objective. I'm starting to wish I'd kept the VFR and just had more fun as well as being able to go on longer trips... I'm a little surprised I'm saying that because I was loving my Zero. That's fun too, in different ways, but it's no use to me sat at the dealership. Over five weeks now!!!

Of course the sensible thing to do would have been to keep my NC750 and it would still be serving me well today with minimal running costs. Logic and bike ownership don't always go hand in hand.

It's time to give Aaron a call and have a few strong words with him. It's not something I shall relish...
Logged

Kocho

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 546
    • View Profile
Re: Decision time... what to do, what to do
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 06:23:21 AM »

The scooter vs. naked bike would be the key decision. I love the acceleration and higher top speed on my '15 SR, but I miss the utility of the Vectrix VX1 that I had before. If I could get the BMW Evolution C at half the price it sells for, and if it would fit me well (I'm rather tall and I doubt it would be comfy enough, the VX1 wasn't), I'd be riding it instead of the Zero.
Logged
'15 Zero SR

Mike Werner

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 216
    • View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
Re: Decision time... what to do, what to do
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »

The scooter vs. naked bike would be the key decision. I love the acceleration and higher top speed on my '15 SR, but I miss the utility of the Vectrix VX1 that I had before. If I could get the BMW Evolution C at half the price it sells for, and if it would fit me well (I'm rather tall and I doubt it would be comfy enough, the VX1 wasn't), I'd be riding it instead of the Zero.

It's why I leased it using BMW's special leasing service here. It worked out great. 3 years leasing the initial version, now I get the new "long range" version for the same price I was paying the old one, and no initial downpayment. Monthly price: €250 (and that includes all the gasoline you need... ;-)
Pages: [1]