• April 25, 2024, 11:11:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2012 DS end of the road -- would like some advice  (Read 1531 times)

CliC

• View Profile
2012 DS end of the road -- would like some advice
« on: March 27, 2017, 09:25:44 AM »

In April of last year, on my 4th or 5th ride after finally moving close enough to my job to ride my Zero to work, the BMS board failed. It took 8 months and ~$1000 to get that fixed; mostly due to waiting on Zero to ship a replacement. (It would have been $1600, but Zero misquoted the price to my dealer, and to the dealer's credit they stood their ground when Zero tried to backtrack.)

While unloading the bike after that episode, the bike had an unplanned dismount that caused what appeared to be cosmetic damage to the bars, mirrors, a few lights, etc. Around $500 to fix but can't complain because it was my fault.

After retrieving it from the dealer for getting that mishap fixed, I got it home and it didn't feel quite right on my initial ride, sort of hesitant it seemed. A later ride confirmed problems; I had no throttle response at all at a few stops. No error lights on the dash, but either pushing the bike forward or turning the key off and back on would get it going again (until the next stop). Got it back home, loaded it on the truck again and took it back to the dealer.

The latest word from Zero, via the dealer, is that the motor is bad, and they can't time it. They want $1600 for the part, and I'm sure it will take another 8 months or more to get here.

So I now have a bike with <3000 miles on it, which I've been able to ride once in the last year (only to find out it was still broken). It does not run, and I don't want to put any more significant money into it. I've thought of the following options:

1. Find a used motor. It would have to be pretty cheap and available in a month or two; I don't really have the patience with this thing anymore to pay a lot or wait a long time.

2. Sell it for scrap, or as a project bike. I'd have to find someone who was interested, and I suspect I wouldn't get much for it (though enough to cover the last one or two repairs would be enough, as I've already written this thing off as my worst purchase ever).

3. Part it out. This would probably be the most lucrative thing to do, but I'd have to disassemble it (I have the skills, but not really the time or work area), and I'd have to worry about hazmat shipping and all that for the batteries if it wasn't local**.

Any thoughts/ideas/other options? I'll take sympathy too  :'(

(** Variant that kinda intrigues me: keep the batteries and charger, toss the Zero BMS and build my own, and buy a big-a$$ inverter so I'd have a semi-portable power source to run A/C tools anywhere for hours. At least I would be using the one part that Zero had enough confidence in to make claims about; i.e., the "300,000-mile" batteries. Ha!)
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

ColoPaul

• View Profile
Re: 2012 DS end of the road -- would like some advice
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:50:11 PM »

Sorry to hear about that CliC, sounds like you've had some bad luck.   I don't have much in the way of advice, but I am looking for a replacement '12 battery pack for my SZF6.  The rest of my bike is holding up well, but my pack is at about 75% capacity and fading.  PM me if you decide to part it out or sell it as a project bike.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 01:01:33 PM »

Hello

Why you do not buy the engine directly from the manufacturer or via ebay

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Motenergy-ME-1114-Brushless-DC-Permanent-Magnet-Motor-72V-/390993136642

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 08:13:31 PM »

Why you do not buy the engine directly from the manufacturer or via ebay
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Motenergy-ME-1114-Brushless-DC-Permanent-Magnet-Motor-72V-/390993136642

Two warnings about this approach:

(1) The original Motor is a Motenergy ME 0913,  the ebay link above is for a ME1114, which is only good to 72V, you'd blow it up if you installed that one.   Here is a link for the original motor:  http://www.motenergy.com/me0913.html

(2) Apparently Zero "modified" the ME 0913 before using it on the 2012's.   Protomech, who is highly regarded, mentioned this several times in old posts: "The 2012 S uses a modified Motenergy ME0913 motor.".    Perhaps Protomech or DoctorBass could enlighten you as to what modifications would have to be made.   I would highly suggest contacting them before starting down this path.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 10:09:43 PM »

The 0913 get not pure is too wide

The engine must adapt DVT software
  Or $ 1600 and 8 months
100% original achievement has of course not synonymous but could not stand the original synonymous not endure!
I have already two originals destroyed despite power reduction of Zero

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 04:37:45 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I still haven't made up my mind yet about what to do. I'm probably not going to put a different motor in it unless it's a (relatively simple) upgrade to the 75-5 or 75-7. It'd be a fun project, but I lack the time and workspace right now to do it. And that is still not going to bring the bike up to the current system that is somewhat out of beta, so I may face problems again sometime in the future with the BMS, or the MBB, or... I'll check around for a cheap exact replacement motor, but if I have no luck, I'll either part it out or use the battery pack for something else.

C
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

kcfoxie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 05:34:19 AM »

Where do you live? I would be sincerely interested in the bike - I  want to try and fix it, but ultimately, I need the battery for phase two of my home's solar upgrades.

SunPropulsion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 05:17:05 AM »

Its been a while since you posted here but I can tell you the dealer replaced the stock motor on my 2012DS with a 75-7 and its overheated ever since between 60 and 65 MPH. The bike is really limited now, no hwy riding otherwise it overheats and abruptly slows itself down, kinda dangerous. The dealer says its the speed controller that's overheating and there is nothing they can do.
Pages: [1]