• April 26, 2024, 03:41:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Really bummed, but no Zero for me for now.  (Read 13140 times)

06z

• View Profile
Re: Really bummed, but no Zero for me for now.
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 01:43:21 AM »

Are there any local businesses nearby that would consider letting you charge? What is the nearest EV charger?
I actually charge my car but the charger is about 1.5 miles away at a park.  I ride a little electric scooter from the park to work after I drop off my car. Not going to leave a bike there unattended.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 04:45:39 PM »

If you are only wanting the charge tank for the connector, then I *strongly* suggest getting a Power Tank instead and then using a J1772 or Menekies adaptor like one of these to charge from you homes' level 2 EVSE.

https://hollywoodelectrics.com/product/custom-j1772-adapter/

This is what I do, I have a power tank on my SR, and charge off level 2 EVSE's using a cable similar to this one (mines a Menekies as J1772 connectors are obsolete here in the UK)

Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 06:36:58 PM »

If you are only wanting the charge tank for the connector, then I *strongly* suggest getting a Power Tank instead and then using a J1772 or Menekies adaptor like one of these to charge from you homes' level 2 EVSE.

https://hollywoodelectrics.com/product/custom-j1772-adapter/

This is what I do, I have a power tank on my SR, and charge off level 2 EVSE's using a cable similar to this one (mines a Menekies as J1772 connectors are obsolete here in the UK)

What is the charge time with that adapter if the bike was at 10 % or so?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 07:57:12 PM »

No decrease in charge time if your only using the on board chargers.  You can get the power tank and a supercharger in a top case and have your range and faster charging.
But the cheapest way is to look and see if you have a "back road" option to work.  It will take longer, maybe quite a bit longer, but if you go 45-55 MPH for longer stretches you should have enough for a round trip.

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 09:49:18 PM »

Thanks New2electric
I think that if they are able to increase the battery to 16 from 13 and have a charge tank option that would work for me. We are only about 6 months away from the 2018 models and I will just wait. These bikes have changed yearly. Let's see what changes come.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 10:39:13 PM »

If I use that cable and my off board Elcon charger, exactly the same as the charge tank.

Personally for long trips I don't consider the Charge Tank worth it, better with an Elcon or a Supercharger in a top box, and having a Power tank.
The charge tank is entirely off my radar until it supports fast charging the bike in under an hour, preferably using DC charging.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:42:35 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 12:25:59 AM »

06z, I applaud your "mission awareness". I wish more people would make a good effort to understand what an EV can and cannot do for them before they purchase.

That said, I'm a little surprised the DSR couldn't do the trip you asked of it. My daily round-trip is ~43 miles, I'm heavier than you (I'm a big guy, over 300#), and I regularly get home on my 2014 SR with more than 50% SoC left. Granted, I only have one medium-sized hill to climb, and you have a little more mileage than I do. How much of your ride is at freeway speeds? Mine is around 50% freeway speeds. That could make a big difference.

My first comment would be, don't underestimate the increased range you'd get with a good fairing/windscreen. I got more than a 20% range improvement when I installed mine. Ditto for reducing speed -- the speed vs drag curve is exponential with a big exponent (at least cubed). I keep my bike in sport mode, but exercise some restraint with my right wrist to keep my freeway speed between 70 and 75 most of the time. Also keep in mind that the faster your speed, the more effect a good fairing's going to have.

I was a little concerned about range before I bought my bike, and my local dealer wouldn't let me borrow it for a day to find out. At the time I was using mostly the freeway, about 50 miles round-trip. So after I bought the bike, the first day I rode to work, I kept the speed way down, no more than 65 on the freeway, and made it home with (IIRC) around 35% charge left. I increased my cruising speed to 70, and was still getting home with better than 20% left, which was my threshold for being worried about it. I was happy with that...but then I bought and installed my windshield, and things picked up considerably. I quickly found out that I could cruise as high as 75, which is about as fast as I generally want to cruise on the freeway anyhow, and I'd get home with 30% or more left.

Since that time, my battery was replaced with the 2016 version (which is 13kWh instead of the 11.4kWh I had), and I've found routes that get me off the freeway more both on the way to work and on my way home. Time spent is about the same, but the mileage is shorter and the speed is lower, which increases my range. I now do about 43 miles per day, and regularly get home with 50-55% battery capacity left. It makes a big difference when I have errands to run after work.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:30:19 AM by Doug S »
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Duskfire

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »

Honestly you should check your state laws, I would assume that if Idaho and Washington where I live it's required for your employer to allow you to charge your EV, then California the pioneer state of EV's would have a similar law in place. I'm pretty sure your employer can't say no, and especially for such a dumb reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 05:56:44 AM »

06z, I applaud your "mission awareness". I wish more people would make a good effort to understand what an EV can and cannot do for them before they purchase.

That said, I'm a little surprised the DSR couldn't do the trip you asked of it. My daily round-trip is ~43 miles, I'm heavier than you (I'm a big guy, over 300#), and I regularly get home on my 2014 SR with more than 50% SoC left. Granted, I only have one medium-sized hill to climb, and you have a little more mileage than I do. How much of your ride is at freeway speeds? Mine is around 50% freeway speeds. That could make a big difference.

My first comment would be, don't underestimate the increased range you'd get with a good fairing/windscreen. I got more than a 20% range improvement when I installed mine. Ditto for reducing speed -- the speed vs drag curve is exponential with a big exponent (at least cubed). I keep my bike in sport mode, but exercise some restraint with my right wrist to keep my freeway speed between 70 and 75 most of the time. Also keep in mind that the faster your speed, the more effect a good fairing's going to have.

I was a little concerned about range before I bought my bike, and my local dealer wouldn't let me borrow it for a day to find out. At the time I was using mostly the freeway, about 50 miles round-trip. So after I bought the bike, the first day I rode to work, I kept the speed way down, no more than 65 on the freeway, and made it home with (IIRC) around 35% charge left. I increased my cruising speed to 70, and was still getting home with better than 20% left, which was my threshold for being worried about it. I was happy with that...but then I bought and installed my windshield, and things picked up considerably. I quickly found out that I could cruise as high as 75, which is about as fast as I generally want to cruise on the freeway anyhow, and I'd get home with 30% or more left.

Since that time, my battery was replaced with the 2016 version (which is 13kWh instead of the 11.4kWh I had), and I've found routes that get me off the freeway more both on the way to work and on my way home. Time spent is about the same, but the mileage is shorter and the speed is lower, which increases my range. I now do about 43 miles per day, and regularly get home with 50-55% battery capacity left. It makes a big difference when I have errands to run after work.
About 42 miles are on the freeway. 

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 06:07:23 AM »

At expressway speeds the 2017 DSR will use an average of 1% of battery per mile.

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 06:35:37 AM »

Is the 2017 more efficient?
Could it be that the demo bikes calibration is off as it is only ridden short distances?

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 08:37:36 AM »

From what I could see comparing specs, the 2016 and 2017 bikes, each equipped with the 13 kWh batteries, have the exact same range.  The 2017 bikes seem to be somewhat more powerful, with higher hp and torque numbers, but the range hasn't changed.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 07:06:52 AM »

That's at about 55 mph. At 75mph, as the OP indicates traffic is moving for him, the use will be considerably more.

The table at Zero's web site is quite accurate (S and SR shown here), for steady speeds, no strong wind, and relatively flat bround: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php?model=sr

OP has a considerable elevation change, so he will use even more per mile.

At expressway speeds the 2017 DSR will use an average of 1% of battery per mile.
'15 Zero SR

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 08:20:53 AM »

That's at about 55 mph. At 75mph, as the OP indicates traffic is moving for him, the use will be considerably more.

The table at Zero's web site is quite accurate (S and SR shown here), for steady speeds, no strong wind, and relatively flat bround: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php?model=sr

OP has a considerable elevation change, so he will use even more per mile.

I agree that the speed and elevation kill the range. It's the same with my car.

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 04:24:42 AM »

Hopefully Zero are reading this forum, quite a lot of threads about quick charging option (directly or indirectly) which in my opinion is the only way to truly move the electric motorcycle market forward. Where would Tesla be without Supercharging?

Keeping my fingers crossed for quick(er) charging option in MY2018 :)
Norway
Opel Ampera-e ordered 16.09.16, delivered 08.06.17    Tesla Model 3 reserved 01.04.16
2013 Nissan Leaf Tekna     2011 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Pages: 1 [2] 3