• May 02, 2024, 03:14:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Really bummed, but no Zero for me for now.  (Read 13207 times)

06z

• View Profile
Really bummed, but no Zero for me for now.
« on: March 22, 2017, 06:22:25 PM »

:( :(

I have a PHEV car (ELR) and wanted very badly to get a 2017 DSR. Contacted my local dealer and had a test ride.
I test rode a 2016 DSR and really enjoyed it. Great power when fully charged, super quiet. Super smooth. So I asked if I could do a range test to see if I could make it to work and back without charging at work. Currently I can't charge at work. This sucks but it is what it is for now. In the next couple of years, chargers will hopefully be installed at work, but for now no luck.

Anyways, I am 5' 11' and 240#. I know, I know I need to loose a few pounds, ok quite a few pounds. I picked up the bike in the morning and I set it in ECO mode and off I went on my normal route to work. I rode it like a normal bike, no ducking my head down to be more aerodynamic or hypermiling. I was gentle on throttle response as I do have hills to climb and do have a lot of experience getting as many miles out of my car as i can. Mostly in the slow lane. I did feel a little uneasy as ECO mode limits the top speed to 70 mph but I know how much energy is used the faster you go. During my commute, (Early AM), traffic is going 75-85 on the freeway. Not having full power for a quick reaction for example, a piece of tire or a ladder is worrisome as on other bikes I have needed it on a few occasions. My total trip is 65 miles and I have about 3300 feet each of elevation gain and loss. I turned around at 27 miles as the battery was at 53% and I wanted to be sure I made it back. When I finished my ride, I had 11% left and it felt much slower than it did when it was fully charged which I do understand.

I thought about the power tank and DS screen but do not think this will be enough to get the trip done on sport mode without recharging at work. Losing 45#s would help too! :o  If I was able to charge at work, I WOULD have one in my garage right now. I know I will get one if and when chargers are installed at work. I will keep my eye on these as they do make improvements yearly. So for now, I put my deposit on a 2017 KTM Super Adventure R.   

Electric Terry

• View Profile
Re: Really bummed, but no Zero for me for now.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 06:42:33 PM »

65 miles round trip?

If you need the off road ability get the 2017 DSR with powertank and it will boost range and low SOC power
If you don't need the off road capability get the 2017 S or SR as they have less rolling resistance and slightly less frontal area from a lower ride height and will get better highway range.  And if you get the power tank on that you should have over 100 miles highway range.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 07:36:06 PM »

65 miles round trip?

If you need the off road ability get the 2017 DSR with powertank and it will boost range and low SOC power
If you don't need the off road capability get the 2017 S or SR as they have less rolling resistance and slightly less frontal area from a lower ride height and will get better highway range.  And if you get the power tank on that you should have over 100 miles highway range.
I thought about the SR but I wanted the ability to do light off road, like fire roads. If you add the power tank then you can't have the charge tank. I want the charge tank because I have a level 2 at home for my car.  Also as of now the tax incentives are gone as far as federal. $900 for California helps but the bike with a charge tank and a additional charger at home will probably be $20,000+ with taxes etc.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 07:47:11 PM »

Not even a standard mains plug accessible at work? Don't forget slow charging doesn't need a specific EV charger.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »

Not even a standard mains plug accessible at work? Don't forget slow charging doesn't need a specific EV charger.
No, there is a outlet on the outside of the building but I was told no because others might be jealous. It is BS I know.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 07:53:24 PM »

Stupidest reason ever! I'd suggest offering to pay for the electricity used with a donation to a local charity. Guilt them into it.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Really bummed, but no Zero for me for now.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:06:38 PM »

That is lame. For what it's worth, I have a similar commute and calculated the monthly power bill adjustment for my landlord at $25/month and will just add it to my utilities (the garage circuit being shared in my building).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:58:15 PM »

You don't need a real dual-purpose bike to ride fire roads.  Hell, I ride dirt roads ALL the time on my 850 lbs K1200LT luxury tourer.  I even ended up negotiating a two-track jeep trail with a passenger and full luggage up on the Gaspe Peninsula (an adventure my wife will NEVER let me forget).

If that's your only concern with getting the DS(R) over the S(R) then don't worry about it. 
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 09:06:32 PM »

You should quit! Or give me the number and I'll have speaks with them. You will be charging within the hour!!!

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:15:14 PM »

I understand you needed both the charge tank AND the power tank.  Most people want the security and freedom of both.  Hopefully that will be an option when you are ready to trade in the ktm
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 10:35:40 PM »

I understand you needed both the charge tank AND the power tank.  Most people want the security and freedom of both.  Hopefully that will be an option when you are ready to trade in the ktm
Now why would I trade in the KTM. The KTM works great for Baja  California. I would just add a Zero to my garage. I can tell you now, I will get a Zero, I just need to wait a little bit longer.

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 12:09:25 AM »

You should quit! Or give me the number and I'll have speaks with them. You will be charging within the hour!!!
Lol

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 12:33:29 AM »

Are there any local businesses nearby that would consider letting you charge? What is the nearest EV charger?

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 12:41:23 AM »

Now why would I trade in the KTM. The KTM works great for Baja  California. I would just add a Zero to my garage. I can tell you now, I will get a Zero, I just need to wait a little bit longer.

06z,

I think you're making the right move by putting the Zero on hold - I have a new 2017 DSR up for sale now for the same reasons, it's just too limited to go on any rides or ventures. If Zero would have included the standard charging port like the Empulse it might be more attractive to guys living in the city, but even if they did, if you live in the country like I do its worthless.  Unlike you're Cad ELR you don't have the option to just start the motor to charge the battery or just run on the generator.

While the DSR's 100 miles range sounds great in theory - the real way to look at it is in the actual miles you can venture from home - If it's over 40-50 miles you're out of luck which in bike riding is nothing, that for me qualifies as local riding since I live in a rural area. Charging on the road is not an option for me unless I'm willing to spend 2-5 hours charging on some 110 plug somewhere or carry a remote charger on the bike which again is "More" Money!

I too thought of the tank battery but that would run my cost up to $22,000 which is just too damn much money for a stripped down commute bike. At some point you have to snap out of it and think what you're doing.  $20,000 will buy a lot of motorcycle, to help explain what I mean, a DSR with a battery would cost $22,000 - I just bought this beautiful 2017 American made Indian Chieftain, its loaded with ever option you could want on a bike for the same money! While I'm not saying this is the choice for an electric guy, I did want to show the two as an example.

Take a look at the two bikes side by side and you'll see what I mean. Good luck on your bike ventures - Mike

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:10:09 AM by Low On Cash »

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 01:38:49 AM »

Stupidest reason ever! I'd suggest offering to pay for the electricity used with a donation to a local charity. Guilt them into it.

I have offered to pay but this is a small site for a very big company and they plan to install EV charging stations in the next few years. They are doing a chargepoint trial in the Portland site.
Pages: [1] 2 3