• March 29, 2024, 02:57:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: regularly scheduled maintenance  (Read 1781 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: regularly scheduled maintenance
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 04:41:30 AM »

Use the online log parser to read the logs
http://home.hasslers.net/zerologparser/log_parser.php
Also, you need the zero bluetooth app for iPhone or Android to download the logs from your bike

I just checked my bike's app and I don't have an logs or warnings.  When I hit the uppermost key to contact Zero all I see is my VIN followed by MMB.  All I really want to know is how to discover which firmware version that I have on my bike. I wasn't able to find that out by scrolling around my app.  If I recall correctly, when I would boot up my 2012 S it displayed the firmware version on the dash, but that doesn't seem to happen with my 2014.   ???  But there must be someway to determine the firmware version because hubert seemed to be able to acquire that information.  Apparently (as usual), I am missing something.  Anyone have any ideas?
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »

I just checked my bike's app and I don't have an logs or warnings.  When I hit the uppermost key to contact Zero all I see is my VIN followed by MMB.  All I really want to know is how to discover which firmware version that I have on my bike. I wasn't able to find that out by scrolling around my app.  If I recall correctly, when I would boot up my 2012 S it displayed the firmware version on the dash, but that doesn't seem to happen with my 2014.   ???  But there must be someway to determine the firmware version because hubert seemed to be able to acquire that information.  Apparently (as usual), I am missing something.  Anyone have any ideas?
When you use the "Email logs to Zero" option, the downloaded logs are kept somewhere on your phone. Find those files after they are saved and use the website mentioned before to decode them. The firmware versions are in the decoded output. I think that's what we're talking about. It is silly but at least we have this way to see the firmware version.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 02:29:50 PM »

The "email to Zero" option also let's you email them to yourself.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 07:32:07 PM »

But the "email to Zero" option is blank and I have never checked it before, so I doubt that any longs were ever sent to my phone.  ??? However, I did check my phone anyway and can't find any other Zero file on it other than the app.  Either the bike has never generated any logs or they were on my previous phone that was replaced when it couldn't pick up 2G signals anymore. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 08:33:09 PM »

What I do is - select "Email to Bike Logs" and in the email dialog box - change the destination address to my own email account rather than Zero's.

It is good flexibility when working with your local dealer... because they too are being encouraged to accept logs.

I've not been able to find (or really bothered to search for) the log files persisting on my phone.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 03:07:25 AM »

I've emailed logs to my email from the Zero app before. The bike I think needs to be on and paired with the phone. It takes a few minutes to generate the logs and then email them. It's been a while since I did it, but I think it was a simple matter of tapping on the email logs to Zero, changing the email address to my own, then it would create the logs and send them...

But the "email to Zero" option is blank and I have never checked it before, so I doubt that any longs were ever sent to my phone.  ??? However, I did check my phone anyway and can't find any other Zero file on it other than the app.  Either the bike has never generated any logs or they were on my previous phone that was replaced when it couldn't pick up 2G signals anymore.
'15 Zero SR

Delnari

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »

My 2017 SR refused to engage the motor.  After being towed to the dealership they sent the logs to Zero and had the dealership do a new software update with 1080 miles on the odometer.  Getting regular maintenance checks might have avoided my problem if I brought it in at 600 miles.

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 08:30:55 AM »

My 2017 SR refused to engage the motor.  After being towed to the dealership they sent the logs to Zero and had the dealership do a new software update with 1080 miles on the odometer.  Getting regular maintenance checks might have avoided my problem if I brought it in at 600 miles.
I don't understand.  Sorry.  Why would the bike require a software update in order to "work"?  If it worked the day before then why did it quit working?  Did the dealer say why?

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 10:06:12 PM »

Why does ANY software program just decide one day to up and quit even though you haven't made any changes or updates of which you were aware?

That's why I always try to keep my bike as up to date as possible.  When a software update is issued, it's because there were previously unknown defects that affected enough people that the company deemed it necessary to fix.  Riding around with unpatched vulnerabilities is never a good idea.  Being in the software industry myself, I'm a firm believer in preventive maintenance.

Since I'm also not big on discovering NEW issues, I generally don't apply updates IMMEDIATELY but wait till they've been in use awhile first.  Aren't computers wonderful?
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 10:33:40 PM »

Having worked in the software industry (retired software engineer) sometimes it is not always a good idea to be on the "bleeding" edge of software updates.  Better to let others grind thru the new bugs that are ALWAYS introduced with new software updates.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 12:27:04 AM »

I like to look at the release notes, comparing bug fixes and new features. If the latest video driver has been patched to support a game I don't play or hardware different from mine, I won't update. If the newest Minecraft snapshot fixes playability issues that bother me, I'll go for it. Zero should post release notes so we know what we're getting into.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 01:25:10 AM »

Having worked in the software industry (retired software engineer) sometimes it is not always a good idea to be on the "bleeding" edge of software updates.  Better to let others grind thru the new bugs that are ALWAYS introduced with new software updates.

It's a fine line:  Live with bugs you KNOW exist, or fix them and possibly introduce new ones.  On the mainframe systems I maintain, I usually keep a month or two BEHIND on maintenance and apply anything newer on a case-by-case basis as needed.  For my personal systems, I keep current backups of everything and pretty much patch a day or two after they've been released (enough time for early adopters to install and post their problems).  This has been especially relevant lately with Microsoft as every Thursday after "Patch Tuesday" they seem to be either retracting a fix, or releasing an emergency fix for a recently released fix.

As for my Zero, it's not like I'm bringing it to the dealership all that often so the odds are any software patches they apply have been out in the wild for a reasonable amount of time.  It is possible I may bring it in for service the day the latest patches were released but the odds are pretty much against that, I think.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 03:13:02 AM »

On a new bike I think it is important to see a shop that can adjust the suspension sag and turn the dials. 

My fork was so stiff that I had to cut a lot of spacer to get the sag within spec and I am not that light at ~160 lb. 

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 03:46:25 AM »

The shop I went to said (without my asking) they would check for any software updates,
which make me think they knew what they were doing.
What I'd like to see is some kind of graph or printout that says the previous motor commissioning 
I keep googling ... and still have no idea what "motor commissioning" means. Can someone explain?
thanks!

My best understanding is that motor commissioning is the tuning of the Sevcon controller sine wave programming against the motor position sensors so that the field is applied correctly.

This would reduce wear on the motor bearing and minimize wasted current.

I've added a provisional manual section for reference. I'd referred to this before as "controller alignment", but I realize that the proprietary term gets thrown around and deserves an index entry...
 http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Motor_Commissioning
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 04:06:36 AM »

The shop I went to said (without my asking) they would check for any software updates,
which make me think they knew what they were doing.
What I'd like to see is some kind of graph or printout that says the previous motor commissioning 
I keep googling ... and still have no idea what "motor commissioning" means. Can someone explain?
thanks!

My best understanding is that motor commissioning is the tuning of the Sevcon controller sine wave programming against the motor position sensors so that the field is applied correctly.

This would reduce wear on the motor bearing and minimize wasted current.

I've added a provisional manual section for reference. I'd referred to this before as "controller alignment", but I realize that the proprietary term gets thrown around and deserves an index entry...
 http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Motor_Commissioning

That sounds like a reasonable thing to do if there has been any factory experience with the sine wave programming wandering. However, I do find the term "commissioning" kind of goofy and rather obtuse.

I continue to believe, based upon many years of riding and owning motorcycles, if everything is working just fine and you are happy with your bike's performance, don't mess with anything.  It will likely get worse.   ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3